Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $200 fine for smoking in your car.

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I think getting back to basics, responsible and good parents would not subject their children to their habit.

Its not fair and its not right - they shouldnt need the law to tell them that but then again, they shouldnt need the law to tell them that beating them is wrong but they do.

Just smoke where you dont affect anyone other than yourself.
...and I agree with pretty much all of that. Only concern is that piecemeal legislation, OK to smoke at home but not in a car, is almost always bad legislation.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I meant smoking at home with kids present.

Yes I think it's fine when it comes to such things such as smoking.
Royal Children's Hospital professor of respiratory medicine Colin Robertson said children under the age of five were at greatest risk from environmental tobacco smoke. He said tobacco smoke was a main irritant, which contributed to higher rates of asthma in young children

I looked up the legislation and found that quote... its interesting to note that I knew nobody during my school years who had asthma. Not a single soul. Yet I would have thought about 60% of all parents, possibly more, were smokers during that era.

I also discovered that the legislation applies even if you have the top down on a convertible !!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:20 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I think getting back to basics, responsible and good parents would not subject their children to their habit.

Its not fair and its not right - they shouldnt need the law to tell them that but then again, they shouldnt need the law to tell them that beating them is wrong but they do.

Just smoke where you dont affect anyone other than yourself.
This is quite an old report so I don't know if the data has since been disputed.

Smoking outside 'harms' children
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dreamy
This is quite an old report so I don't know if the data has since been disputed.

Smoking outside 'harms' children
Naj Dehlavi, a researcher with the campaign group Action on Smoking and Health, told BBC News Online: "17,000 children under the age of five are admitted to hospital every year in the UK due to passive smoking.

One word for throwaway lines like that. Bollocks.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 7:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and I agree with pretty much all of that. Only concern is that piecemeal legislation, OK to smoke at home but not in a car, is almost always bad legislation.

Royal Children's Hospital professor of respiratory medicine Colin Robertson said children under the age of five were at greatest risk from environmental tobacco smoke. He said tobacco smoke was a main irritant, which contributed to higher rates of asthma in young children

I looked up the legislation and found that quote... its interesting to note that I knew nobody during my school years who had asthma. Not a single soul. Yet I would have thought about 60% of all parents, possibly more, were smokers during that era.

I also discovered that the legislation applies even if you have the top down on a convertible !!
If this is applicable to you, would you smoke in the same room as your children?

My asthma went undiagnosed when I was at school, I hated breathing in my parents fag smoke, hated it.

Getting back to the question - do you personally think it is acceptable to smoke in the same room as your kids, forget statistics, forget everything that you read or is on the news, is it OK for your kids to inhale your cigarette smoke?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

If this is applicable to you, would you smoke in the same room as your children?

My asthma went undiagnosed when I was at school, I hated breathing in my parents fag smoke, hated it.

I agree that responsible parents or others, shouldn't smoke near kids.
Had to put with my dad's smoking, in the house and hated it. It seems that dad was the root cause of most of my other problems, but fortunately I didn't get asthma.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Getting back to the question - do you personally think it is acceptable to smoke in the same room as your kids, forget statistics, forget everything that you read or is on the news, is it OK for your kids to inhale your cigarette smoke?
I don't actually smoke... so its not applicable.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
There are plenty of people who don't smoke while driving that don't even know how to use their indicators and are far more dangerous.
Yes like the idiots who drive with their (right) arm hanging out of the window - the same arm used for indicators on locally made Holdens and Fords (and a number of other makes too).
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I checked smoking wasn't against the law, though its quite hard to be sure about that at times.

While smoking in the car, with your kids on board may be dumb, its not actually guaranteed to cause harm.... but we legislate against it anyway.

My point is, do we all think its OK for the State to be intervening in every aspect of our life?. Judging by the response in this thread, I guess most people do think its fine.
I don't actually smoke... so its not applicable.
Got out of that one What about kids of other parents who smoke? Seriously, this is about people stuffing up their kid's choices. Any law that is practical and reasonable and protects children is a good thing especially as smoking is fairly clear-cut even if the intervention appears draconian. It is progress - seat belts were not compulsory for anyone 30 years ago. People might have said then: "I'll look after my own safety thanks!" You buy a packet, you light one up - clear liability. At least with alcohol any issue you pass on is indirect.

Hey 20 years ago there were TV vans detecting people who did not have licences in their own homes!! Is there an argument we do it with smokers..
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Any law that is practical and reasonable and protects children is a good thing
Another thing that this law does, whether it is enforced or not, it brings the subject to the attention of people, and some people who may just be thoughtless, and may not have realised the effects, may now think twice.

That on it's own, makes the introduction of some of these laws worthwhile.

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

legislation- no
education-yes

that goes for most things, let people know the facts and make their own choice rather than been told what to do all the time
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by oz miller man
legislation- no
education-yes

that goes for most things, let people know the facts and make their own choice rather than been told what to do all the time
And what choice does the child have?
What happens if you see a parent blatantly disregarding a childs health?

They dont need education. You really think they dont know the health risks involved with smoking and passive smoking, they are selfish not stupid.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dann2000
What happens if you see a parent blatantly disregarding a childs health?

your right it is selfish and should be frowned upon, but the cost of legislation and policing would be ridiculous

blatant disregard of a childs health you see everywhere, kids at the park not supervised, toddlers at the creek edge, climbing trees, running around hot bbq`s, kids standing in shopping trolleys, living on fishfingers, dads not around or dont care, pissed up drugged up parents, kids without hats n sunsreen, unsupervised in the pool, playing in the bush or even skateboarding on the main road

its not the job of the police to enforce these things, parents need to take responsibility

2 incidents i came across last year, both parents dont smoke in the car but...
took the little boy to the park and he sees a 5 year old from playgroup, playing nicely i look to see where her parents are. 500 meters away at the barbie stuck into the beers with mates, half hour we were there, dont think they even looked over to check.
at the IGA i parked up to see a 3 year old left in the back seat while mum ran into the shop. took my time getting my boy out of his car seat with the intention of saying something to the mum, she returned 2 min later saw me and hung her head in shame. yet again it was someone from playgroup.

thing is we cant police everything, all we can do is look after our own the best we can
Old Jan 4th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Well said. There have been a number of worthy posts to this thread but none as down to earth and realistic as this one. If you are a responsible parent and care for your children then you will do the right thing.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:49 am
Account Closed

your right it is selfish and should be frowned upon, but the cost of legislation and policing would be ridiculous

blatant disregard of a childs health you see everywhere, kids at the park not supervised, toddlers at the creek edge, climbing trees, running around hot bbq`s, kids standing in shopping trolleys, living on fishfingers, dads not around or dont care, pissed up drugged up parents, kids without hats n sunsreen, unsupervised in the pool, playing in the bush or even skateboarding on the main road

its not the job of the police to enforce these things, parents need to take responsibility

thing is we cant police everything, all we can do is look after our own the best we can
Excellent post. We seem to be reaching the point where people believe we should make stupidity illegal and bring in laws to cover all the potential actions of stupid people. It's not practical or desirable.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:21 am
ABCDiamond

But what do we do when parents do NOT take that responsibility ? Ignore the childs problems ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.