Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:49 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: $200 fine for smoking in your car.

It does appear that Queensland is one of the LAST Australian states to bring in this law ....

• South Australia – smoking in cars where children under the age of 16 are passengers came into effect on May 31, 2007

• Tasmania – smoking in cars where children under the age of 18 are passengers came into effect on January 2008
  • New South Wales - Legislation to ban smoking in cars where children are passengers is in progress. The Age 2008

• Western Australia – smoking in cars where children under the age of 16 are passengers came into effect on 22nd September 2009

• Victoria – The Tobacco Amendment (Protection of Children) Act 2009 will make cars carrying children under 18 smokefree came into effect on 1st January 2010.
  • Queensland – smoking in cars where children under the age of 16 are passengers came into effect on 1st January 2010.

And Queensland is the Nanny State ?

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:12 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It does appear that Queensland is one of the LAST Australian states to bring in this law .... <snip>

And Queensland is the Nanny State ?
Ignoring which is the Nanny State (all of them?) if everybody is in agreement that banning smoking in cars is a good idea, why is it OK to allow smoking near kids at home? Any argument about 'confined space' could surely be nullified by 'duration of risk'.... and this is my issue with this sort of legislation. It's slippery slope stuff and leads to these reactions -----> http://no-smoking.org/june06/06-20-06-1.html
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:16 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Ignoring which is the Nanny State (all of them?) if everybody is in agreement that banning smoking in cars is a good idea, why is it OK to allow smoking near kids at home? Any argument about 'confined space' could surely be nullified by 'duration of risk'.... and this is my issue with this sort of legislation. It's slippery slope stuff and leads to these reactions -----> http://no-smoking.org/june06/06-20-06-1.html
I think the bottom line is if you want a fag - go outside, plain and simple. You dont need to do your habit in front of your kids, they dont want to inhale the fumes and I am damn sure they dont enjoy the smell.

People might think that they can do what they want with their kids in their own home, but when it harms their children, then surely a line has to be drawn.

Are people that much of an addict that they MUST do it in front of their kids and if they admit to being that much of an addict then doing their addiction in front of their kids is wrong.

If they dont class themselves as an addict then it shouldnt be a problem to stop.

Honestly, forgetting the nanny state and the fast food etc, the subject is about smoking, does anyone really think its acceptable to smoke in front of their kids?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Honestly, forgetting the nanny state and the fast food etc, the subject is about smoking, does anyone really think its acceptable to smoke in front of their kids?
There's that slippery slope I was on about. The thread is about fines for smoking with kids in your car. You're already moving that on to smoking in front of your kids at all.
What should the repercussions of that be?. Fines?. Imprisonment?. Removal of your kids?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:48 am
ABCDiamond

Ignoring which is the Nanny State (all of them?) if everybody is in agreement that banning smoking in cars is a good idea, why is it OK to allow smoking near kids at home?
It isn't actually OK to allow smoking near kids at home, and I am sure that iof the police were allowed to walk into any home at any time, they would consider extending that law to the the home.
But they can't, therefore it is impractical to consider a law that cannot be enforced.

There are already laws to ensure that Cigarettes sold in shops are not sold to children.
And laws that state that cigarettes must be kept out of customers' sight.
There are laws that state smoking is not allowed near Children's playgrounds, in schools and eating areas, etc

These are all laws that can be enforced.
It is not possible to create a law to cover 100% of all situations.

Most people should be sensible enough to not need these laws, but we all know that 'some' people are not sensible enough. Therefore laws are needed for those people.

Most people don't steal, but we have laws to fine those that do, is that wrong ? Is that being a nanny state ?

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:51 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Home - spend lots of time in
Car - spend little time in, in comparison

No?

Any case, my point is really about whether the government should be telling people what they can and cannot do in their own cars and homes.
The whole point being that kids have rights and it's abusive to smoke around them.

Smoking in a car full of kids it's outrageous and I cannot believe some people are so selfish that they cannot wait until the get out of the car somewhere - away from the kids.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

There's that slippery slope I was on about. The thread is about fines for smoking with kids in your car. You're already moving that on to smoking in front of your kids at all.
What should the repercussions of that be?. Fines?. Imprisonment?. Removal of your kids?

Im just seeing it from the childs point of view that may not want to live like that but doesnt have a choice.

Like the parents that think nothing of beating their child or subjecting it to mental cruelty.

Do we respect the rights and privacy of the parent to do what they want in their own home or respect the rights and health of the child that may not want to live in those conditions.

What happens if the parents refuse to stop smoking in front of their child and the childs health is suffering? Do you respect that is their choice and leave them to it or does someone have to step in?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:59 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Im just seeing it from the childs point of view that may not want to live like that but doesnt have a choice.

Like the parents that think nothing of beating their child or subjecting it to mental cruelty.

Do we respect the rights and privacy of the parent to do what they want in their own home or respect the rights and health of the child that may not want to live in those conditions.

What happens if the parents refuse to stop smoking in front of their child and the childs health is suffering? Do you respect that is their choice and leave them to it or does someone have to step in?
The latter PP - the problem I have with some smokers is that the habit comes first - even to the detriment of their own children's health
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

See where you are coming from, but smoking in cars can be enforced with some degree of success, it's a reasonable and practical law.

Perhaps there could be a fine for smoking at home, it just would not be so successful.

And there is the question of the intent of the law, not just whether it is enforced or deemed to work. The law is an ass sometimes.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Like the parents that think nothing of beating their child or subjecting it to mental cruelty

Physical child abuse and smoking are not really in the same league are they... though I'm sure many would like to place them together.

I can see the day, not too far off either, when children will be allowed to stay with heroin addicted parents (class 'A' drug, serious criminal offence) but removed from parents who smoke, (not illegal, bought from the corner shop) for the childs 'benefit'.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
See where you are coming from, but smoking in cars can be enforced with some degree of success, it's a reasonable and practical law.

Perhaps there could be a fine for smoking at home, it just would not be so successful.

And there is the question of the intent of the law, not just whether it is enforced or deemed to work. The law is an ass sometimes.
Last time I checked smoking wasn't against the law, though its quite hard to be sure about that at times.

While smoking in the car, with your kids on board may be dumb, its not actually guaranteed to cause harm.... but we legislate against it anyway.

My point is, do we all think its OK for the State to be intervening in every aspect of our life?. Judging by the response in this thread, I guess most people do think its fine.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:32 am

Physical child abuse and smoking are not really in the same league are they... though I'm sure many would like to place them together.

I can see the day, not too far off either, when children will be allowed to stay with heroin addicted parents (class 'A' drug, serious criminal offence) but removed from parents who smoke, (not illegal, bought from the corner shop) for the childs 'benefit'.
I think getting back to basics, responsible and good parents would not subject their children to their habit.

Its not fair and its not right - they shouldnt need the law to tell them that but then again, they shouldnt need the law to tell them that beating them is wrong but they do.

Just smoke where you dont affect anyone other than yourself.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I checked smoking wasn't against the law, though its quite hard to be sure about that at times.
I meant smoking at home with kids present.

My point is, do we all think its OK for the State to be intervening in every aspect of our life?. Judging by the response in this thread, I guess most people do think its fine.
Yes I think it's fine when it comes to such things such as smoking.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:43 am

It's all relative though Iam - tobacco should never have been legal in the first place (I know, age old debate). A lot of people do see smoking around children as abusive - I certainly do.

As far as children living with their heroin addict parents - the do gooders will tell you it's for the best in most cases ( I have drugs counsellers in the family) - but I disagree on that one too, these kids have their childhoods stripped away from them, but then again, some of them have no choice, as there isn't always a family member to step in and take the kids off their hands.

Anyway, back on track
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I meant smoking at home with kids present.

Yes I think it's fine when it comes to such things such as smoking.
agreed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.