Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:07 am
ABCDiamond

Default $200 fine for smoking in your car.

In Queensland, from today, 1st January 2010, it is illegal to smoke in a car whilst children are in that car.

It has been decided that children have rights, and the police will enforce those rights on their behalf.

Smoke with a child in the car and you may be fined $200.

http://www.ausinfo101.com/smoking-in-cars

Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice
Default Re: $200 fine for smoking in your car.

I think they ought to concentrate more on the amount of idiots using mobile phones that I see daily (usually about 10) and people eating, I once saw a guy eating a bowl of breakfast whilst driving through the city!! Bowl in lap, spoon in one hand and steering with the other.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bloke a couple of months ago with a pot noodle type thing.

I personally don't see anything wrong with eating while driving AS LONG as you can still drive safely. So obviously not something like a pot noodle that if you spilt it in your lap it would burn and mess up your driving!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
I think they ought to concentrate more on the amount of idiots using mobile phones that I see daily (usually about 10)
That is a $300 fine and 3 points.

Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Good !! Fantastic idea. Think its terrible to subject a child to cigarette fumes particularly in such a confined space.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom

I personally don't see anything wrong with eating while driving AS LONG as you can still drive safely. So obviously not something like a pot noodle that if you spilt it in your lap it would burn and mess up your driving!
I dont agree. If someone has to brake hard in front of you or some kid runs out in front of you or you need to make an emergency maneuver.. theres NO WAY you can be fully in control of your vehicle with a burger, bowl of cereal, sandwich in your hands/lap. For a start your concentration is not fully on the road and neither are your eyes.
The average driver wouldn't cope well with that situation.... and anyone who does it ..is a liability
Sunbound
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:17 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom

... but if you drive without full attention to your surroundings, you are not driving safely (mobiles, eating, drinking, smoking, etc etc etc included).
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:53 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

BRILLIANT IDEA! I was a passive smoker all of my childhood and it wasn't nice! GRRRR
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In Queensland, from today, 1st January 2010, it is illegal to smoke in a car whilst children are in that car.

It has been decided that children have rights, and the police will enforce those rights on their behalf.

Smoke with a child in the car and you may be fined $200.

http://www.ausinfo101.com/smoking-in-cars
If you smoke in a car with kids in it you should be locked up
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

To be devil's advocate here, but what does it really achieve if the same people are smoking at home all the time anyway. I am not sure the government should be telling people what they can do in their own cars (beyond complying with road safety measure). The next step will be telling people what they can do in their own homes.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:30 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
To be devil's advocate here, but what does it really achieve if the same people are smoking at home all the time anyway. I am not sure the government should be telling people what they can do in their own cars (beyond complying with road safety measure). The next step will be telling people what they can do in their own homes.
Home = quite big
Car = quite small and confined space

No?!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:47 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

By smoking, eating, changing cd's, whatever, in a moving car, you would not be driving with 100% attention, therefore you would not be complying with road safety measures....
At least in your house, you have an opportunity to step outside and have a fag. It would be a little difficult to do that in a moving vehicle.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Home = quite big
Car = quite small and confined space

No?!
Home - spend lots of time in
Car - spend little time in, in comparison

No?

Any case, my point is really about whether the government should be telling people what they can and cannot do in their own cars and homes.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:57 am

Home - spend lots of time in
Car - spend little time in, in comparison

No?

Any case, my point is really about whether the government should be telling people what they can and cannot do in their own cars and homes.
You hear so much about Qld being the nanny state, so what's one more thing.

I think it may have something to do with various lobby groups influencing policy.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
By smoking, eating, changing cd's, whatever, in a moving car, you would not be driving with 100% attention, therefore you would not be complying with road safety measures....
Agreed. But I presume they did not bring the law in because people were not paying attention to the road. If they did, then fair enough.

Originally Posted by The Bloke
At least in your house, you have an opportunity to step outside and have a fag. It would be a little difficult to do that in a moving vehicle.
I think all smoking should be done outside personally. Filthy, disgusting, unsociable habit. I could not LOATHE smoking any more than I do. But, I just have these doubts about extending legislation to what people do in their private spaces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.