Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$2.70 is vry close

$2.70 is vry close

Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:47 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default $2.70 is vry close

Do you remember only a couple of months ago the $ was at 2.32 now its very close to 2.70 oh! happy days except I have just dealt everything at 2.665 but hey if it had gone down how lucky would I have felt...must stop looking at the screen...its so difficult
Gary and Terri
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Gazza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $2.70 is vry close

Originally posted by Gary / Terri
Do you remember only a couple of months ago the $ was at 2.32 now its very close to 2.70 oh! happy days except I have just dealt everything at 2.665 but hey if it had gone down how lucky would I have felt...must stop looking at the screen...its so difficult
Gary and Terri

If the US and UK both raise interest rates again (while the Oz one remains stable) the rate could rise even further!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:13 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by Gazza
If the US and UK both raise interest rates again (while the Oz one remains stable) the rate could rise even further!
Very true, Gazza, it just proves that the Auss dollar is nothing but a skivvy

jib
joveazey

Hi,

We are applying for our visas at the moment and hopefully will be going to Perth this time next year. What have you done about money ?? I am confused, when we sell the house should we put all the money in a high interest UK account until just before we go and then transfer it to HSBC ? I know we can open an Oz HSBC account from here, but is this the best thing to do. Any ideas please.

Jo

Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Gary and Terri

I've been watching closely and was going to post.
We go in a matter of weeks and I keep watching in hope it keeps creaping up.

I have access to reuters realtime, is currently 2.67, a hairs breath away.
Go on son . better than the 2.4 we were looking at not that many months ago.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joveazey
Hi,

We are applying for our visas at the moment and hopefully will be going to Perth this time next year. What have you done about money ?? I am confused, when we sell the house should we put all the money in a high interest UK account until just before we go and then transfer it to HSBC ? I know we can open an Oz HSBC account from here, but is this the best thing to do. Any ideas please.

Jo
It's so hard to predict that far ahead... I would hang onto your pounds, since the AUD is quite unstable... but then it could swing back again! Start watching the markets and you will be able to get an idea. Also, if you are just at the beginning of the process, it doesn't seem to be wise to make the plunge.
Just my humble opinion
Larissa
Old Jun 17th 2004, 7:26 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, the exchange rate is very unstable.
Therea a fairly good chance it'll keep on moving, and in which direction no-one knows. If you're in the position to change money now I'd be very very tempted to take the rate as it is right now.

It would seem to be a little high at the moment, and if you forced me to guess I'd go for it stabilising at $2.50 (ish)

Marko
Old Jun 17th 2004, 7:32 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Gary and Terri

2.665 is a really good rate; remember the rates shown on sites such as HIFX are intr-bank rates and as we are migrants & not Banks we'll always get a slightly worse rate.

Who did you deal with?
Old Jun 18th 2004, 7:11 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Gary and Terri

Our Currency watch from HIFX was showing 2.668 today
Old Jun 18th 2004, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Our Currency watch from HIFX was showing 2.668 today
If you have some cash available, why not go into a forward contract? I believe you can arrange to buy at a later date at a todays rate by paying a 10% deposit.
I think there were a couple of posts not so long ago. Just to show how things move, I think it was fixed at 2.52 or there abouts. Once you've fixed your rate - you can bet on it getting a whole lot better (or does that just happen with me??)
Marco
Old Jun 18th 2004, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We're about to buy for our AUD 100,000 bond, wish us luck!
Remember to barter those agents down folks!
Larissa
Old Jun 18th 2004, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck Larissa hope you get a good deal from your broker.

footie x
Old Jun 18th 2004, 8:57 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by footie chick
Best of luck Larissa hope you get a good deal from your broker.

footie x

2.68 and still climbing!!
Old Jun 18th 2004, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Gary and Terri
If, ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers......
Old Jun 20th 2004, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

In my opinion the dollar is going to continue to weaken, just take a look at the attached 10 year chart. With further exchange rates planned her upto 6%, I would be suprised to see $3 to the £ again within 6 months, if only temporarily.

Now's a great time to sell up and get out!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
aud10yr.bmp (143.6 KB, 59 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.