Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$15,000 - How long would it last???

$15,000 - How long would it last???

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of
Default $15,000 - How long would it last???

Hi

Have the above amount or will have by the time I get there. I know its not a massive amount of money, but on a simple lifestyle, renting a modest flat / house on Sunshine coast and running a car, and a newborn, can anyone give me a rough idea of how long you would expect that to keep us going?

I have no idea on cost of living come to think of it, although I am fairly sire it evens out to be about the same here, except the cost of buying / building property.

So any info on that would be appreciated.

Cheers Ears....
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $15,000 - How long would it last???

I don't know much about the cost of renting on the Sunshine coast these days but one thing I'd look at is the cost of used cars (since you mention one). Similar models of similar age are much more expensive in Australia, check on carguide.com.au

I've been here, in Sydney for about 8 weeks and I knew it was expensive before I arrived, and I'm still surprised, not converting back to pounds either, just comparing the cost of items e.g. loaf of bread =$4, beer at a pub $5-8, average wage about = $65,000? I haven't done a scientific comparison but it seems more expensive than the UK. Petrol is cheap but thats about the only thing, the space, fresh air & sunshine are free though
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by freebo
I don't know much about the cost of renting on the Sunshine coast these days but one thing I'd look at is the cost of used cars (since you mention one). Similar models of similar age are much more expensive in Australia, check on carguide.com.au

I've been here, in Sydney for about 8 weeks and I knew it was expensive before I arrived, and I'm still surprised, not converting back to pounds either, just comparing the cost of items e.g. loaf of bread =$4, beer at a pub $5-8, average wage about = $65,000? I haven't done a scientific comparison but it seems more expensive than the UK. Petrol is cheap but thats about the only thing, the space, fresh air & sunshine are free though
Thanks for that

We have acquired Family in law`s to be`s car! a 1998 Hyundai Accent!

This is it, money not the object as the quality of life is what we are all after.

Building houses are significantly cheaper and easier, or so i am led to believe, not for 15 k though!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I would say excluding buying a car and any other large items about 3 months.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
I have no idea on cost of living come to think of it, although I am fairly sire it evens out to be about the same here, except the cost of buying / building property.
Depends if you earn Sunshine Coast wages...it's often said that SC is one of the most unaffordable property markets in Australia relative to what the locals earn.

And I reckon if commuting to Brisbane every day then QOL life may suffer.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Have the above amount or will have by the time I get there. I know its not a massive amount of money, but on a simple lifestyle, renting a modest flat / house on Sunshine coast and running a car, and a newborn, can anyone give me a rough idea of how long you would expect that to keep us going?

Cheers Ears....
Mate i love the idea. If you have family here to help you out that is a bonus. Can they afford to help you financially or put you up? Do you have a job? I would seriously re-think your plans as that amount of money will probably last six weeks with all the initial costs of setting up. I wish you all the best.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have PR? If so, you can apply for family tax benefit which will help too.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, its an impossible question to answer. If you are staying with family in law and have your accomodation food and transport covered it would obviously last longer, if you're arriving with a suitcase and $15,000 it would be easy to go through it in a few weeks, initial rent+bond alone can easily be $3-5k, and on furnature bills, insurance and that figure could double, that car you're being loaned would probably cost around $4k, leaving about $3k.

The honest answer is possibly "not as long as you might think".

Last edited by freebo; Jun 24th 2010 at 2:33 am.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on what expenses you will have when you get here. OK - you have the car covered - but do you need to insure it? register it? pay for petrol? It's quite an old car....so what if something goes wrong? Who will pay?

How about accommodation? Are you planning on renting or staying with family? If you are planning on renting you will have to put down a bond plus a month's rent in advance.

Food and baby things - it will all add up - at least a couple of hundred a week.

You'll need a new baby capsule - your UK one is not legal over here.

Good luck with the move

Love

Rudi
x
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

$15,000 is bugger all when your starting out let a loan when youve got a family.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:33 am
ABCDiamond

Building houses are significantly cheaper and easier, or so i am led to believe, not for 15 k though!
This one is $5,000

But you need to collect and deliver to your own land...

or this one for $10,000

Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Yes, staying with family for as long as need be, OH is getting something from the Government which equates to about $450 a fortnight.

Thanks for your honesty I know its not a lot.

I would be happy with that lasting 3 months. Getting a job won`t be a problem, or never has been so far.

Tough shit really because thats all I`ve got so you either do these things or you dont

Tim
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, staying with family for as long as need be, OH is getting something from the Government which equates to about $450 a fortnight.

Thanks for your honesty I know its not a lot.

I would be happy with that lasting 3 months. Getting a job won`t be a problem, or never has been so far.

Tough shit really because thats all I`ve got so you either do these things or you dont

Tim
Staying with relatives makes a massive difference, previous comments were not knowing whether that was the case or not. I think with no car to buy or rental to organise, the $15k should keep you going for three months.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers Ears....

Forget the car, live near public transport for at least first 6 months till your earning income and work up progressively on that income.

Think of every dollar as taking 2 dollars to earn
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo

Aren't the public barbies free?

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 24th 2010 at 8:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.