Reload this Page >

$110k...Is this enough ? !

$110k...Is this enough ? !

Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $110k...Is this enough ? !

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Your situation shows how families with special needs fall between the cracks in the system. My kids have had lots of health professional treatments, and it can be really hard to get appointments, even from those in private practice, so trying to get part-time work around family commitments is really hard. I'm trying to get myself set up so that I can work from home, get them to where they need to be, and not incur out-of-school care fees as well as the medical fees. This is when you wish you had family around to help out, but if you don't, you just have to manage as well as you can.
Yeah, its really difficult at times. My son is 20 now and we don't interact with the medical profession anything like as much as we used to, but I remember back to when he was about five that he had a staggering 300+ medical appointments in one year. Not surprisingly my wife had already given up her job by that stage.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
had to look it up.

We have actually started doing some shopping in Aldi and the bread seems OK. Some of the stuff really is cheap and nasty though. 20 burgers for $4.99 was cheaper than the dog chews I get the mutt !
Some of it is, but it doesn't take too long to work out what is worth buying.

Their 1kg cheese for $6.99 for the daughter, has always been OK, but she has started to taste the Swiss Cheese that I buy, and seems to be preferring mine now

I used to buy our croissants there, but they haven't had them for some weeks now.

I do like their chocolate though... 200gm Rum Raisin Chocolate Block for $2.49

Their Farmdale Full Cream milk is OK too at $2.09 for 2 litres.
and $3.79 for 1kg Brooklea Strawberry Yogurt..........

Just off to the shops.......

Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's a load of crap mate.

We're a family of 2 adults and 2 teenage children (one of whom is special needs) and live quite comfortably on about that much.
hmm..

To the OP: from my experience 110k for family of 5 you will not have comfortable living at all. Possible but not comfortable. Surelu you wouldnt be able to save much.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colonel
Just did an online shopping list at woolworths and the bill came to approx $175 + Beer/Wine which looks to be on course with our $250 per week shopping budget.

Happy Days
Damn!! ours is about $200 and that would be just food and bog roll for the week .. I brew my own beer, the aussie stuff is weak and expensive

We are 2 adults and a 12yr old, 120k joint salary and $350k mortgage, goto to UK every 2 yrs and we go camping/fishing/surfing to some beautiful places every fortnight if we can (infact I was catching monster Salmon in Illawarra on 7 mile beach 2 days ago) , theres very little we dont have in the house apart from maybe Foxtel but we had SKY in the UK and all I ever did was flick channels wondering what the hell I was paying for ... We live Canberra though not Perth

We personally would be able to make a great life from that salary but that all depends on your expectations/standard of living

Last edited by Graham and Maria; Jan 8th 2011 at 2:15 am.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some of it is, but it doesn't take too long to work out what is worth buying.

Their 1kg cheese for $6.99 for the daughter, has always been OK, but she has started to taste the Swiss Cheese that I buy, and seems to be preferring mine now

I used to buy our croissants there, but they haven't had them for some weeks now.

I do like their chocolate though... 200gm Rum Raisin Chocolate Block for $2.49

Their Farmdale Full Cream milk is OK too at $2.09 for 2 litres.
and $3.79 for 1kg Brooklea Strawberry Yogurt..........

Just off to the shops.......
I buy the Greek yoghurt, not bad. Cereals are definitely cheaper and pretty much the same as the branded stuff (high sugar content, hardly any nutritional value ). Chocolate is good and cheap, so is the butter. Some of the fruit and veg I find can be hit and miss. I've tried their dishwashing powder and rinse aid and my dishes were not washed properly so ended up buying Finish in bulk at Costco! I like Aldi's specials though, I bought all of the kids Christmas presents throughout the year for a fraction of the price I would have paid from the big shops. I tend to spread my shopping between Aldi and Woolies for the weekly stuff and get most of the non-perishables from Costco once every 3 months or so...
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laven
hmm..

To the OP: from my experience 110k for family of 5 you will not have comfortable living at all. Possible but not comfortable. Surelu you wouldnt be able to save much.
As has been said time and time again, it's horses for courses and depends on what things a family needs to live and be happy.

You can certainly live on less than this, how happy you will be will depend on many lifestyle factors.

I can still have a fantastic day out, with a picnic (99 cent bread sarnies etc) at the local beach, body boarding or snorkeling and it costs virtually nothing.

If I felt the need to regularly jet off around the world or dine in fancy restaurants, then yes it would be a struggle.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Damn!! ours is about $200 and that would be just food and bog roll for the week .. I brew my own beer, the aussie stuff is weak and expensive

We are 2 adults and a 12yr old, 120k joint salary and $350k mortgage, goto to UK every 2 yrs and we go camping/fishing/surfing to some beautiful places every fortnight if we can (infact I was catching monster Salmon in Illawarra on 7 mile beach 2 days ago) , theres very little we dont have in the house apart from maybe Foxtel but we had SKY in the UK and all I ever did was flick channels wondering what the hell I was paying for ... We live Canberra though not Perth

We personally would be able to make a great life from that salary but that all depends on your expectations/standard of living
Mate, your life seems to mirror mine, right down to the 12 year old, though we opted for Foxtel rather than the trip back to the UK
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:39 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Christ, I'd love a 350k mortgage. I'm moving to Perth.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
We live Canberra though not Perth

According to the CPI figures, Perth is only slightly more expensive than Canberra, by 0.35%

CPI Index at Sept 2010
179.1 Brisbane
176.6 Adelaide
174.0 Perth
173.4 Canberra
173.3 Australia
172.5 Sydney
172.4 Hobart
171.9 Darwin
170.5 Melbourne

But look at 1994...

CPI Index at Sept 1994
114.9 Adelaide
113.3 Hobart
113.0 Darwin
112.6 Canberra
112.5 Brisbane
112.2 Melbourne
111.9 Australia
111.0 Sydney
110.1 Perth

6401.0 Consumer Price Index, Australia

Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Seasider
Christ, I'd love a 350k mortgage. I'm moving to Perth.
Move to Western Sydney it's closer

5 bed Houses for $420k, renting for $490 pw.

Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:46 am
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Yes, but the down side is having to live in Western Sydney. There are much nicer places to live in NSW for the same money.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:47 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hell no. I hate the trains here. (I've never been to Perth; really must have a trip there sometime.)

edit: thinks....then again, at that price I could go back into retirement
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:49 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
Yes, but the down side is having to live in Western Sydney. There are much nicer places to live in NSW for the same money.
Yeah, when I can drop out of the rat race again I'm aiming for Brooklyn.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the CPI figures, Perth is only slightly more expensive than Canberra, by 0.35%

CPI Index at Sept 2010
179.1 Brisbane
176.6 Adelaide
174.0 Perth
173.4 Canberra
173.3 Australia
172.5 Sydney
172.4 Hobart
171.9 Darwin
170.5 Melbourne

But look at 1994...

CPI Index at Sept 1994
114.9 Adelaide
113.3 Hobart
113.0 Darwin
112.6 Canberra
112.5 Brisbane
112.2 Melbourne
111.9 Australia
111.0 Sydney
110.1 Perth

6401.0 Consumer Price Index, Australia
No Gong again.. bloody typical.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
Yes, but the down side is having to live in Western Sydney.
The phrase "a shooting in Sydneys west" is rarely off the news here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.