Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$10 pints in Perth

$10 pints in Perth

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $10 pints in Perth

Originally Posted by mr mover
I always drink Cooper sparkling ale by the bottle {rolled not tipped] at the bar.
average $5.20 too $ 5.70....in most SA pubs thats 375ml bit less than a SA pint 425 mil at about $4.20 average............... mm

At my son's local in Norwood (Adelaide) it was $8 for a pint a couple of years ago.

G
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

magicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nice

gonna miss st austell breweries *sigh* lagers like knats pee
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:28 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
At my son's local in Norwood (Adelaide) it was $8 for a pint a couple of years ago.

G
Grayling you know the ansewer to that, thats what you get for living in "ÿuppieville" Any working class pub still $ 4.25 a pint............
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Richmond, SW London and I *think* it's about £3 a pint in our local. Hoegaarden is closer to £4 a pint. The other day we got a round in - a pint of Bombardier, 2 pints of Kirin and a pint of Hoegaarden and it was almost £13.

The last time I went drinking in Perth was early 2004 and I remember paying $7 a pint in the Queens in Mt. Lawley. We don't even like the Queens that much. I'd struggle to part with $10-$14 for a pint anywhere.

I'd rather get a case of Little Creatures Rogers in - we can drink in our pjs then
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
I was just there 3 weeks ish ago. I thought that the prices were pretty similar to here (Melbourne). I think the most I paid for a pint was about GBP 3,70 and that was in Weybridge, not London.
I drink in Weybridge all the time GBP 3.70 seems dear. I'll make a note of the prices for the next while. I can't imagine paying $10+ for a pint. How much at The last drop or The Windsor ?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:47 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
<Shakes head and waits for incoming posts about how you now have to mortgage your small-holding in France and the cat to afford a pint in London>
Hey, you leave my French smallholding alone!

On the plus side, at least you can get pints in Perth. I'm sick of getting ripped off with shmidis (sort of half way between a midi and a schooner) here in Sydney - they seem to be more and more popular. If you stray away from the piss water brands and into someting a bit more interesting, then it usually comes in a shmidi...

S
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twhurl
I drink in Weybridge all the time GBP 3.70 seems dear. I'll make a note of the prices for the next while. I can't imagine paying $10+ for a pint. How much at The last drop or The Windsor ?
$7.50 to $8 in the Last Drop (my local). This is for their very good micro-brewed beers.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:43 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hey, you leave my French smallholding alone!

On the plus side, at least you can get pints in Perth. I'm sick of getting ripped off with shmidis (sort of half way between a midi and a schooner) here in Sydney - they seem to be more and more popular. If you stray away from the piss water brands and into someting a bit more interesting, then it usually comes in a shmidi...

S
You just have to ask for pints in Sydney - they do exist. But then you get scared by the price and realise they serve schooners for a reason.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:54 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to ask for pints in Sydney - they do exist. But then you get scared by the price and realise they serve schooners for a reason.
They don't serve them in anything else but Shmidis in the Toxteth! I tried that game of asking for it in a Schooner, but it seems to be some kind of licencing deal or other.

S
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:01 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

They don't serve them in anything else but Shmidis in the Toxteth! I tried that game of asking for it in a Schooner, but it seems to be some kind of licencing deal or other.

S
Mr GG was drinking schooners all evening! You just need to drink less bizarre brews. And they do serve pints in the Toccy. Indulged myself, so I know.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:04 pm
has lost The Game

Mr GG was drinking schooners all evening! You just need to drink less bizarre brews. And they do serve pints in the Toccy. Indulged myself, so I know.
Yes, they do, but only the really putrid horrible beers - all the nice stuff is all in shmidis!

S
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:14 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Yes, they do, but only the really putrid horrible beers - all the nice stuff is all in shmidis!

S
Battle your way through a couple of putrid beers and it soon enough don't matter what they taste like.

P is going to let me know after lunch whether he can leave work early, so we can pack. Then, hopefully, we'll be able to make it later.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twhurl
It was Grolsch. Can't remember which pub it was (first time in Weybridge) but I thought that was pretty dear too!!!