Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$1.85450 to 1 Gbp

$1.85450 to 1 Gbp

Old Dec 20th 2013, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1.85450 to 1 Gbp

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not so long ago we were being told that the decline of the pound was because the British economy was doing badly and the Australian economy was so strong.

Now, apparently, it is all to do with the American Dollar and nothing to do with the respective economies at all

Amazing how economic theories change isn't it?
No, your analysis is a bit on the umm over-simplistic side - exchange rates are affected by so many things and at different times. It's not economic theories changing it's determing factors changing i.e. it is possible for the GBP/AUD exchange rate to be affected at one time by world oil prices, at other times by GFC, at other times by changes in interest rates, at other times by forecasts for the Chinese economy, at other times by Governor Glenn Stevens pronouncements, at other times by Governor Mark Carney's pronouncements .............. ad infinitum. In the last few months it's what's been happening in the US, pronouncements by the Fed and easing of money printing as well as Stevens wishing to 'talk the dollar down' which have been the overwhelming factors.

Trends are also important. 1 example - UK unemployment is 7.4%, Australian unemployment rate is 5.8%. BUT, UK unemployment was expected to be 7.6% and Australian unemployment rate is up from 5.7% so UK's figures are 'good' news and Australia's figures are 'bad' news.

Go back and list GDP growth figures for UK and Australia for say 5 years. UK has been a basket case but Australia has been one of the least GFC affected major economies so very good growth figures. Coming off such a flat base UK is now showing good growth.

Some analysis here if you want more than soundbites:

http://www.futurecurrencyforecast.co...-rebound/23295
Old Dec 20th 2013, 8:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
No, your analysis is a bit on the umm over-simplistic side - exchange rates are affected by so many things and at different times.
It is not my analysis....I was being sarcastic.

It was what some of the smartarses were saying on here whilst gloating about the 'demise' of the UK.

Last edited by Grayling; Dec 20th 2013 at 8:51 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It was what some of the smartarses were saying on here whilst gloating about the 'demise' of the UK.
No need to take the suggested demise of the UK as a personal insult. They were saying that about the US too. And if they thought clearly enough Australia usually hits trouble 2 or 3 years after the rest of the world.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Gutting for those of us trying to send $ back to £ though..
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 9:41 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Gutting for those of us trying to send $ back to £ though..
Thats the thing about exchange rates, they will only ever suit one side at a time. Its still pretty good coming this way at the moment, I do still think it will get close to 2:1.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Bit defensive are we?
People who even had any inkling about what was going on always talked about the US...particularly more recently measured in years.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Bit defensive are we?
People who even had any inkling about what was going on always talked about the US...particularly more recently measured in years.
No they didn't. Do a search on any threads related to the strength of the AUD to the UKP and you will see that the BE Economists quite happily talked down the UKP. I've posted on this before.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
No they didn't. Do a search on any threads related to the strength of the AUD to the UKP and you will see that the BE Economists quite happily talked down the UKP. I've posted on this before.
Hang on are we talking about the direction of the GBP or
the cause, or even about the health of the economy?I know G is grumbling about anything that reports the Uk economy in a poor light preferring to talk about his family's finances
rather than micro or macro economics.

I do know that for years people observed the fall of the Gbp and so it came to pass..and it's finally improving.
I of course don't credit this fall to Be...much of the talk was the reflection of what was happening..gleaned from secondary sources.

I do know people have mentioned the Us a lot recently as a cause and indeed a factor, and the Us has often been mentioned by lots of people on Be.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 23rd 2013 at 12:31 am.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Man this dollar keeps rising. Good as I want to send some dollars to the UK, bad as I thought it was on the eternal slide.

Unemployment figures came out lower than expected today and its gone off for another climb again.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:49 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Man this dollar keeps rising. Good as I want to send some dollars to the UK, bad as I thought it was on the eternal slide.

Unemployment figures came out lower than expected today and its gone off for another climb again.
I have faith that Hockey will screw things up. Even though the general economy seems to be looking up - he's still talking up the idea of a slash'n'burn budget. Nothing like some major unforced job losses and austerity budget for spooking the markets.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's a funny time at the moment

Is the US recovering or is it smoke and mirrors? USD says later. Same for the UK

Australia is doing okay - just okay but nothing to really boost the AUD so much

Commodity prices are not collapsing - which is always going to support the AUD
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
I have faith that Hockey will screw things up.
Said like a good lefty
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:02 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

thank god my US dollars came in yesterday...
i was hoping for it to come in weeks ago
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Said like a good lefty
Seem to have to keep pointing out I'm not a left winger - I'm just not a far right winger.

And has Hockey ever convinced you of his sure footed, sober, understanding of macroeconomics and demand led growth?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:26 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Keynesians vs Classicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.