Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Of course it is utter nonsense, most on here can understand the reality thankfully.

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Utter nonsense. The UK has a significant amount of R&D in high tech areas like pharmaceuticals. The Chinese make cheap products sold globally by holding the value of the remnimbi artificially low. That's how they'll fail - there is no domestic demand. Suggesting the UK has to start manufacturing cheap mass produced price competition consumer goods to grow a manufacturing sector is just garbage.
Manufacturing bases of undifferentiated products fall inevitably to the lowest wage denominated country. The Chinese will revolt unless they get richer and someone will overtake them in cost advantage.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

What a very strange thing to say.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
it seems china only manufactures cheap clothes and plastic toys. and strangely the iphone as well.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:00 pm
Banned

Exactly right, the UK does and will continue to compete successfully with Germany for example. This assertion that only certain countries can make a particular product is naive at best and incredibly ignorant at worst, I assume there is a bit of fishing going on
Run away, the sky is falling.

Originally Posted by isgraham
Yes take Germany as an example of a high salary export manufacturing nation. If they can do it then so can we just need to find the products that will sell and make them better than anyone else.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
My point exactly. It's fine in a goldfish bowl. I mentioned elsewhere, the problem comes when you buy anything made overseas or go on a foreign holiday.

People living on the island of Nauru earn an average $120/week. It doesn't matter as local goods and services are comparatively cheaper. They cannot afford to escape the island, as the air fare is prohibitively expensive.
Fear not, just like the Big Macs it's much cheaper to escape the UK.

Singapore Airlines low season LHR - MEL rtn £810 ( $A1200)
Singapore Airlines low season MEL - LHR rtn A$2055

That's 41% cheaper in your the exchange rate is all that matters world.

Emirates low season LHR - SYD rtn £822 ( $A1220)
Emirates low season SYD - LHR rtn A$2038

That's 40% cheaper in your the exchange rate is all that matters world.

Try it out for other airlines if you like.

The UK family of 4 spends over A$3k less just getting there which will probably make up for the cost of big macs and pints of lager on arrival.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:10 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I don't have an MBA or even a degree... but at least I know how many 0s go after the comma in a number. So, did it cost you $30,000 or $300,000?

Is there a smug/pedantic smiley?

(At least it proves I read your posts!)
I managed to power mine off in 12 months. My MBA cost my dad 6k in 1994.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:50 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Exactly right, the UK does and will continue to compete successfully with Germany for example. This assertion that only certain countries can make a particular product is naive at best and incredibly ignorant at worst, I assume there is a bit of fishing going on
Run away, the sky is falling.
Is this the ideal plan, or is this the reality on the ground?

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ing-uk-economy

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ritain-economy

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-it-german-way

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ctures-success

also, if you're relying mostly on the GBP exchange rate to improve export performance, that's not a good thing. that's what the Chinese do with their Yuan.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:57 pm
Banned

Even using a realistic exchange rate those are bloody cheap prices, why is there such disparity between air fares each way ? There always has been but you used to be able to buy a flight from the other end but they have stopped that now.

Originally Posted by bcworld
Fear not, just like the Big Macs it's much cheaper to escape the UK.

Singapore Airlines low season LHR - MEL rtn £810 ( $A1200)
Singapore Airlines low season MEL - LHR rtn A$2055

That's 41% cheaper in your the exchange rate is all that matters world.

Emirates low season LHR - SYD rtn £822 ( $A1220)
Emirates low season SYD - LHR rtn A$2038

That's 40% cheaper in your the exchange rate is all that matters world.

Try it out for other airlines if you like.

The UK family of 4 spends over A$3k less just getting there which will probably make up for the cost of big macs and pints of lager on arrival.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Even using a realistic exchange rate those are bloody cheap prices, why is there such disparity between air fares each way ? There always has been but you used to be able to buy a flight from the other end but they have stopped that now.
There's no competitve reason for them to change it. Aussies keep boarding the flights, why change the price.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:22 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

it's called purchasing power.

GDP per capita at PPP dollars (already adjusted for purchasing power)
Aus - $41K
UK - $36K

the difference is more pronounced in USD terms:
Aus - $67K
UK - $41K

Last edited by commonwealth; Jan 14th 2012 at 11:26 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:28 pm
Banned

Yes that's true, if the locals are 'happy' paying the price then take them for all you can

Originally Posted by Beoz
There's no competitve reason for them to change it. Aussies keep boarding the flights, why change the price.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by palmer59
With house prices in Sydney increasing and house prices in the UK falling and now the exchange rate today touching $1.48...how can anyone apart from those going with nothing at all,afford to move across at the moment....I've luckily sold my house after planning on retiring to NSW for years....but can't bring myself to exchange at nearly 50% less dollars than when I first began thinking of living in Oz...I thought the recent drop in Oz interest rates with talk of more drops to come....coupled with the financial press saying that the UK was in a stonger position to weather the Euiropean storm that those in the Euro would see the pound strengthen against the AU$....but apprantly not ! I managed to get some money over at $2.65 to the pound a while back...not enough to live out there by any means.....I'm seriously thinking now of bringing that back for a profit and giving up on the dream.....anyone else in the same position ?
Back on topic! We retired here Jan 9 years ago, left money in UK till we bought a house a few months later whoops bad move as Oz$ strengthened very quickly and we lost out, but bought anyway. Fast forward 9 years, house here worth considerably more now than when we bought, against our UK property which really hasn't increased in value due to downturn in property prices there. So you have to make your own decision, and hope it works in
your favour, but if it doesn't if you are living where you want to be does it really matter.
ps. No regrets about retiring here
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:33 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I don't it's ever been possible to buy a flight at the other market's price.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:36 pm
Banned

I was thinking the other day about Germany and the things it produces, I like 'German' power tools and have quite a few AEG saws, drills etc. All of the without fail are Chinese made, the same is true of Bosch and others. BMW have a factory in Thailand very close to Triumphs factory making parts for their bikes that are no longer viable to be made at home. They also build engines and bikes in China, it's the way of the world BUT like the UK it is still profitable to make certain things.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:39 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I don't have an MBA or even a degree... but at least I know how many 0s go after the comma in a number. So, did it cost you $30,000 or $300,000?

Is there a smug/pedantic smiley?

(At least it proves I read your posts!)
I hate typing on this iPad with its virtual keyboard....
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:41 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I managed to power mine off in 12 months. My MBA cost my dad 6k in 1994.
That might say something...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.