Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

UK - where and why

UK - where and why

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK - where and why

Apologies if this has been done before - however after reading K in Modena and Livinghere's posts about moving back to the UK, I am very curious.

If you could go back to the UK tomorrow,where would you choose to live and why ?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - where and why

Cornwall or Devon, will elaborate tomorrow, too much wine tonight.....
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Devon for family reasons or the North East Coast if I were completely free to choose !
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:54 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Hard one this:

Devon - where I grew up would be one choice, and I am going back there tomorrow for the weekend to meet 3 mates from 6th form. There maybe some heavy drinking involved.

The Chiltern Hills or Lake District maybe if I win the lottery.

OH is a Scot who loves her cottage in the Yorkshire Dales and she would happily settle there but whilst I love it in the summer , I really hate it in the winter. So option 3 is probably the Dales/Italy as I would have to buy a place out here to come and dry out/warm up.

Option 4 would be in rural Ayreshire near OH's family.

So, in short, I/we don't really know yet and I am looking forward to reading what others think!
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Hard one this:

Devon - where I grew up would be one choice, and I am going back there tomorrow for the weekend to meet 3 mates from 6th form. There maybe some heavy drinking involved.

The Chiltern Hills or Lake District maybe if I win the lottery.

OH is a Scot who loves her cottage in the Yorkshire Dales and she would happily settle there but whilst I love it in the summer , I really hate it in the winter. So option 3 is probably the Dales/Italy as I would have to buy a place out here to come and dry out/warm up.

Option 4 would be in rural Ayreshire near OH's family.

So, in short, I/we don't really know yet and I am looking forward to reading what others think!

The Lake District and the Dales are lovely in summer, but winters can be bleak.
Also, I need village life but without the isolation and lack of amenities.
Lots of nice places in Oxfordshire, not too far from London, or even the Cotswolds.
Still, after having lived in Italy, I would miss the sunshine, the strolls on the beach, so I think somewhere in Cornwall or Devon will be ideal.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

A hard decision to make for me too. Any decision would probably be influenced by proximity to surviving close UK family. So I would have to choose between North Wales; which I love; or a triangle formed between Shap - Bowness - Sedbergh, which I also love. Or maybe even Galway in the west of Ireland. Anyway, decisions not likely to have to be made in the forseeable future, unless for VFR.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

homeandgardens will become famous soon enough

Somerset (close to Wales), Kent (Eurostar to France), Portsmouth (Sea + Sailing)
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Pipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond reputePipistrelli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homeandgardens
Somerset (close to Wales), Kent (Eurostar to France), Portsmouth (Sea + Sailing)

So basically the whys and wheres for all your choices are convenient enough locations to be able to leave the country at the drop of a hat
Old Oct 7th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

If I had to go back or if Mrs Sensible managed to persuade me to go back. I would go kicking and screaming and dragging my feet to Devon.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

We chose Cheshire because of family. My little girl goes to a pre-school on the site of my old primary school and I bump into people I went to school with, who are now mums/teachers. For someone who's spent the past 16 years in Italy and France, it's very odd!