Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Question re: Ti Voglio Bene

Question re: Ti Voglio Bene

Old May 6th 2014, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Question re: Ti Voglio Bene

Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulty finding out what ti voglio bene means. Yes, I did Google it but got so many conflicting answers that I am totally confused. This was sent to me this morning via SMS from a male friend in Rome ( who is Italian).

I have yet to respond as I'm not sure what it means and hence unsure how to respond. I could give more context of what was said but am hoping that someone can clarify without it.

Anyway fingers crossed that I will get a response
Old May 6th 2014, 8:09 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re: Ti Voglio Bene

Originally Posted by Brigette
Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulty finding out what ti voglio bene means. Yes, I did Google it but got so many conflicting answers that I am totally confused. This was sent to me this morning via SMS from a male friend in Rome ( who is Italian).

I have yet to respond as I'm not sure what it means and hence unsure how to respond. I could give more context of what was said but am hoping that someone can clarify without it.

Anyway fingers crossed that I will get a response
It is one step down from ti amo. It's what you would say to good/best friends instead of the English I love you. If you are having difficult times, or done a favour etc, friends will often end a message like that.
Old May 8th 2014, 10:17 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Good answer 37100.
It also gets shortened in text message speak to TVB. School kids and teens use it a lot.
If I love you might be a little bit strong or over the top or just not right in some cases or with some people, then ti voglio bene works just fine.
Old May 8th 2014, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

You've pulled.

Old May 9th 2014, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone! Understand it much better now
Old May 9th 2014, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by .Ariel.

You've pulled.

Not necessarily! It might be a cunning way of saying "I like you a lot but...".

btw Brigette you should (presumably) respond: Ti voglio bene anch'io!
Old May 9th 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Not necessarily! It might be a cunning way of saying "I like you a lot but...".

btw Brigette you should (presumably) respond: Ti voglio bene anch'io!
But there was no but so just he likes her a lot
Old May 9th 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
But there was no but so just he likes her a lot
Lol there was no "buts" it was a flirtatious SMS which is why I was confused as to how to respond

Mark, would you mind translating your response?

Last edited by Brigette; May 9th 2014 at 11:03 pm.
Old May 9th 2014, 11:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Lol there was no "buts" it was a flirtatious SMS which is why I was confused as to how to respond

Mark, would you mind translating your response?
Mark's response translates as "I like you a lot too" anche io literally also I
Old May 10th 2014, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Mark's response translates as "I like you a lot too" anche io literally also I
Thanks for the translation. To be honest the sentence that ended paragraph sent to me (without revealing too much ) was:
"Ti voglio bene and I ever think to you". I'm assuming he used an English translation and that means " I always think of you. The English is always a bit off and I'm always having to try and decipher what is being said or written which is why I was so careful in trying to understand what was being said before responding
Old May 10th 2014, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

...mmm.. language can be a dangerous thing....but fun!
Old May 10th 2014, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
It is one step down from ti amo. It's what you would say to good/best friends instead of the English I love you. If you are having difficult times, or done a favour etc, friends will often end a message like that.
You are right, but in this case I would not have written also "I always think of you". In this case, DEPENDING FROM THE KIND OF RELATIONSHIP THEY HAVE, it could also be a way to say "I Love you" without being so explicit.

Anyway, it depends from the kind of relationship. She would know what to answer looking inside her heart.
Old May 10th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by primularossa
You are right, but in this case I would not have written also "I always think of you". In this case, DEPENDING FROM THE KIND OF RELATIONSHIP THEY HAVE, it could also be a way to say "I Love you" without being so explicit.

Anyway, it depends from the kind of relationship. She would know what to answer looking inside her heart.
I never responded "I always think of you". I responded before I saw the suggested response.

One thing I can say is that his words spoken in English does not seem to be of the platonic kind, but like I said I always have to look up words spoken in Italian or try to decipher the meaning even when written in English.

Fun eh...
Old May 10th 2014, 9:07 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I never responded "I always think of you". I responded before I saw the suggested response.

One thing I can say is that his words spoken in English does not seem to be of the platonic kind, but like I said I always have to look up words spoken in Italian or try to decipher the meaning even when written in English.

Fun eh...
I am thinking he is not being platonic too Brigette
Old May 24th 2014, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Good answer 37100.
It also gets shortened in text message speak to TVB. School kids and teens use it a lot.
If I love you might be a little bit strong or over the top or just not right in some cases or with some people, then ti voglio bene works just fine.
Another often used acronym is T.V.U.M.D.B. (Ti Voglio Un Mondo di Bene = I love you to bits).

Italian band ELIO wrote a song about it, which is a rip off of E.W.A.F'.s After the Love is Gone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0XoyMIE_s