British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Al Fresco (https://britishexpats.com/forum/al-fresco-150/)
-   -   Italian 'customer service' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/al-fresco-150/italian-customer-service-706740/)

Isakat Feb 24th 2011 11:33 am

Italian 'customer service'

I have to rant, I am so annoyed.
I went to the local cartoleria to get a piece of card for DD's school project.
The sheets of card were in a folder, so I took one out to show it to DD and ask her if the size was OK.
The woman in the shop took it off my hands and said that it should not be touched, showing me a small mark and saying that because people have been touching it, now noone will buy it.
I replied that should she had a shop in the UK and said this to a customer, she would be out of business.
The rude cow continued saying that she was the owner and that there is a big sign 'non tocare' on the door.
I turned to the door and said that there are other shops who sell the same stuff and who treat their clients better, so have a nice day.
The nerve this woman had! My children never touch things in shops, but I thought since I could not see the size, I will take the card out-it is not that I was eating pizza rossa at the same time, or it was a Swarowski crystal ornament.
And it only cost 40 cents, she probably got it retail 20 cents, so for the sake of 20 cents she lost a customer.
So, I went to another shop and got even a better piece of card.

duffer Feb 24th 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Italian 'customer service'

You should've asked for discount considering it was shop soiled.

duffer Feb 24th 2011 12:49 pm

After buying it, ripped it up in tiny little bits and chucked it all over the floor.

Pecora Nera Feb 24th 2011 1:15 pm

I had to read this thread because the words, Italian and customer service are not normally found in the same sentence unless the word BAD is added.:rofl::rofl:

indiebird Feb 24th 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 9198791)
After buying it, ripped it up in tiny little bits and chucked it all over the floor.

I must admit I might have been tempted to do this too. What a bitch!!! I never go back to shops where I get treated badly. I figure there is enough choice for me to only go to the nicer places....

Patty Feb 24th 2011 3:58 pm

I can't understand how many shops here stay in business. They are rude, ignorant and have absolutely no idea how to serve customers. But like you say, vote with your feet and just dont go back.
Customer service is alien to italian shopkeepers ;);)

Pecora Nera Feb 24th 2011 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 9199164)
I can't understand how many shops here stay in business. They are rude, ignorant and have absolutely no idea how to serve customers. But like you say, vote with your feet and just dont go back.
Customer service is alien to italian shopkeepers ;);)

it's just a different world here really. How long would Berlusconi last if he was in office in the UK!!!!

37100 Feb 24th 2011 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera (Post 9199178)
it's just a different world here really. How long would Berlusconi last if he was in office in the UK!!!!

If they applied UK ethics we'd have an empty parliament!

ononno Feb 25th 2011 8:18 am

:Dooh, goody, can I have a rant too. Two recent instances where they have lost me as a customer; because I believe firmly in voting with my feet.
The proprietor of a local salumeria, where I spent a lot of money on a daily basis, told me off for handling the loaves of bread. I was testing to find a 'morbido' loaf. Nowadays they are all cellophane wrapped anyway of course, so I felt very put out. This was last August; not been in since.
Yesterday, a local bar which has recently changed hands, charged me €3 for a table-served cappuccino; whilst the old firm charged 2. On pointing this out, I was basically told 'take it or leave it'. This is a bar which I visited probably 100/150 days in a year; and had been a regular customer for probably 20 years.
So, they have lost a customer worth probably at least €300 a year, since often entertained friends there as well; often with wine or spirits. Their loss, my gain.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

indiebird Feb 25th 2011 11:11 am

Originally Posted by ononno (Post 9200607)
Yesterday, a local bar which has recently changed hands, charged me €3 for a table-served cappuccino; whilst the old firm charged 2. On pointing this out, I was basically told 'take it or leave it'. This is a bar which I visited probably 100/150 days in a year; and had been a regular customer for probably 20 years.
So, they have lost a customer worth probably at least €300 a year, since often entertained friends there as well; often with wine or spirits. Their loss, my gain.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

I must admit this has happened to me at my local bar when it changed hands. I almost got totally fleeced over a couple of cones of ice-cream for the kids. When I pointed out the price on the board behind her head for two scoops, she said 'Oh but those prices are for take-away. If you're going to sit at a table it's more'. I then pointed out the new sign that I thought said 'you cannot sit at the tables with cones' 'Oh yes it does say that Signora, but your children are sitting at my table outside anyway.' I was a bit: :confused: 'They're only waiting while I buy the icecreams and then we're walking home. Also don't you come to the tables to take the orders from people?' 'Oh no Signora, I'm not getting into that. You order at the till first and then go and sit down!' I just said: 'Actually. I don't want to buy ice-creams from you.' and walked out leaving her standing there with two cones and her mouth open. My kids were a bit annoyed with me, but I took them into another bar and brought them a lolly and they were alright. Not been back since. What a silly cow though!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

TestaRossa Feb 25th 2011 11:28 am

Same thing happened to us Indie before we caught on and forced the kids to stand up even if we were leaving! We ordered coffees at the bar and ice tea for the kids - went to pay and they wanted around 12euros - turned around and both kids had plonked down at a table to drink their teas!! So annoyed, never been back since.:frown:

indiebird Feb 25th 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TestaRossa (Post 9200899)
Same thing happened to us Indie before we caught on and forced the kids to stand up even if we were leaving! We ordered coffees at the bar and ice tea for the kids - went to pay and they wanted around 12euros - turned around and both kids had plonked down at a table to drink their teas!! So annoyed, never been back since.:frown:

It's really annoying isn't it!!?? I must admit in Venice the difference was shocking and I guess in Flo too they expect you to be a tourist.... but in my little backwater I was just stunned. I won't set foot in my local Carréfour express either as the service is shite! I'd rather walk another twenty minutes to the Crai!

ambra_wandsworth Feb 26th 2011 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 9199190)
If they applied UK ethics we'd have an empty parliament!

sadly so true...

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera (Post 9199178)

He's in good company though; it's not even about less left or right in this country...

ambra_wandsworth Feb 26th 2011 2:07 pm

Customer service is a big word for Italy..

My credit card application got lost months ago and I was told it had never arrived..
Unfortunately that application was together with my request of bank account opening which was signed off and sent back to my address with a receipt.

After several attempts to contact them and understand what was going on..never got a definitive answer, and the guy from the customer service, finally even started to menace me saying to be careful as the call was being recorded and I couldn't dare to call them unprofessional and to say that was the worst customer service or the entire thing had been a mockery..:frown:

ononno Feb 27th 2011 8:11 am

:lol:Don't worry Ambra. I've lost count of the times I've been threatened with a 'denuncia per defamazione' during the course of my working life! However, you know what they say about glass houses and stones.;)
ciao for now,
'o nonno