British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Al Fresco (https://britishexpats.com/forum/al-fresco-150/)
-   -   Hi from the UK! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/al-fresco-150/hi-uk-806936/)

K in Modena Aug 23rd 2013 9:50 am

Hi from the UK!

Hi there everyone,

Just checking in since moving back to the UK at the end of June! (I guess I'd better change my username). And I am really delighted to be here.

DD who turned 3 this month will be attending pre-school in September whereas she would have been starting scuola materna in Italy. The downside is that it's only 3 days a week rather than full time. The upside is that it's free. She can't wait to start as the poor thing is used to full-time asilo nido and she doesn't know many kiddies here. The language thing is amazing - when we moved here two months ago she spoke Italian to everyone including me and my parents, now she speaks English to everyone including her dad. It was like flicking a switch! She also loves having a garden here, I don't know what we did without one.

The baby who is now 7 months is having a lovely time with his grandparents, we won't have the fantastic playgroup he went to in Modena but they do have activities here and we've already been to a baby sensory session. No idea what we'll do as regards nurseries in the future as it's so much more expensive than in Italy.

My Italian OH is looking for work but it's not very easy when you don't speak much English! So he will be starting classes in September which may or may not be free... but even if we have to pay it works out at about £1.30 an hour so not bad at all! He's coping ok with being here but I think he'd like to be able to do something other than look after the kids all day.

I have set up my translation business in the UK and am looking forward to not having to pay Italian taxes any more! My accountant is costing about a third of what the Italian one cost. Mind you he doesn't seem to answer my emails much!

We have found an Italian playgroup in Salford! It's only once a month and a bit of a trek but worth it I think to meet other Italians. They do Italian lessons once the kids get to school age.

We have been very lucky with the weather which I think has helped us all settle in. It got really hot in July!

Anyway I'm sure there will be loads of down sides but at the moment it's definitely been a good choice for us.

Hope all's well with all of you!

Pica Aug 23rd 2013 11:56 am

Re: Hi from the UK!

You sound chuffed to bits-hope everything goes well for all of you. My ex in-laws live in Salford and I lived in Sale for a number of years, teaching primary in Levenshulme and Longsight -happy carefree days. :)

K in Modena Aug 23rd 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by conniewalker (Post 10865459)
You sound chuffed to bits-hope everything goes well for all of you. My ex in-laws live in Salford and I lived in Sale for a number of years, teaching primary in Levenshulme and Longsight -happy carefree days. :)

Thanks! I'm actually in the South Manchester/Cheshire area hence Salford being a bit of a trek but my mum taught primary in Salford way back when! :)

And yes I am chuffed to bits. Just have to sort OH out so that he can start loving it too.

Off to the local agricultural fair tomorrow with the kiddies :D

LivingHere Aug 23rd 2013 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by K in Modena (Post 10865476)
Thanks! I'm actually in the South Manchester/Cheshire area hence Salford being a bit of a trek but my mum taught primary in Salford way back when! :)

And yes I am chuffed to bits. Just have to sort OH out so that he can start loving it too.

Off to the local agricultural fair tomorrow with the kiddies :D

This is so funny.... we have moved to Cheshire too! Left Italy at the end of July, house needed some work so we have been living with my parents. Our truck is due to arrive tomorrow. Lets hope the floors are finished by today and a local man with a hammer comes when he said he would to take out a balustrade on the landing so that our furniture will go up the stairs.

I have no idea where the children will go to school because by the time the sellers solicitors pulled their finger out and did some work the schools were closed and couldn't confirm that there were places. I'm hoping that the head goes in next week to start to get ready for the new term.

K in Modena Aug 23rd 2013 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by LivingHere (Post 10865512)
This is so funny.... we have moved to Cheshire too! Left Italy at the end of July, house needed some work so we have been living with my parents. Our truck is due to arrive tomorrow. Lets hope the floors are finished by today and a local man with a hammer comes when he said he would to take out a balustrade on the landing so that our furniture will go up the stairs.

I have no idea where the children will go to school because by the time the sellers solicitors pulled their finger out and did some work the schools were closed and couldn't confirm that there were places. I'm hoping that the head goes in next week to start to get ready for the new term.

What a coincidence! What part of Cheshire have you moved to? Do you have jobs? We're staying with my parents too while we consider whether to rent or buy - with my being self-employed it makes things a bit more complicated. It's so lovely for my kids and parents to be able to spend time together although I bet they'll be a bit relieved when we finally move out!

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 23rd 2013 6:15 pm

Great to hear from you K. So glad you checked in with us.
So happy too to read that so far, all is going well.
I hope it all improves more and more with time.
Don't forget about us and send us another update soon.
Best wishes.
Lorna xxx

LivingHere Aug 23rd 2013 8:21 pm

We have moved to the Wirral - it's where I am from and they still have state grammar schools. We spent the afternoon at the local beach and had a 99 with a flake. Stuff in the pipeline for work but must admit that I am being very laid back about the whole thing. Can't wait to have my things back, I stupidly only brought one jumper with us. Roll on tomorrow.

MarkRD Aug 26th 2013 9:16 am

Hi K ! .. didn't realise you were going back to the UK . .well done and good luck.

How long before you start missing Modena ??!! Just kidding..
:thumbup:

K in Modena Aug 27th 2013 10:15 am

Thanks Lorna I will indeed keep in touch and let you know how everything's going :)

LivingHere, you're a bit far away to come to the Italian playgroup in Salford then! Although someone did mention there might be one in Liverpool.

Mark yes I have left lovely Emilia Romagna and its delightful earthquakes (OK so we haven't had one of those for a while). I'll keep you posted if there's anything I actually miss apart from my mum friends!

Actually, weirdly my Italian mum friends have decided to come to England to visit... Peppa Pig Land! Which I didn't even know existed. I think it's a bit far to come for them for a theme park but it would be nice to be able to meet up with them anyway!

MarkRD Aug 27th 2013 11:18 am

Originally Posted by K in Modena (Post 10871697)
Mark yes I have left lovely Emilia Romagna and its delightful earthquakes (OK so we haven't had one of those for a while). I'll keep you posted if there's anything I actually miss apart from my mum friends!
!

We had a little one yesterday morning actually! ..and you should see some of the lightning storms we've been having... Such fun!

K in Modena Aug 27th 2013 11:27 am

Originally Posted by MarkRD (Post 10871819)
We had a little one yesterday morning actually! ..and you should see some of the lightning storms we've been having... Such fun!

Ah, land of ridiculous humidity, earthquakes, monster hailstones and tornados... why didn't I leave you sooner?! :rofl:

Wonder what next May has in store for Emilia Romagna after the earthquakes of 2012 and the tornados of 2013?

Patty Aug 27th 2013 3:18 pm

Hi K
Am so pleased for you - you sound so much happier :) Hope everything goes well for you and your family !

MarkRD Sep 4th 2013 2:03 pm

Another tremor this morning K ! you don't know what you're missing dear!

http://www.ilsussidiario.net/News/Cr...11-45-/424294/

:(

K in Modena Sep 4th 2013 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by MarkRD (Post 10885398)
Another tremor this morning K ! you don't know what you're missing dear!

http://www.ilsussidiario.net/News/Cr...11-45-/424294/

:(

Ugh! I don't miss that at all, especially now I have two small children. Poor old Finale Emilia has a hard time doesn't it?

All well here, my husband has started working at a local Italian restaurant and he's very pleased to be doing something. He starts his English lessons next week so we're keeping him busy :) First day at pre-school tomorrow for my little girl too.

MarkRD Sep 4th 2013 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by K in Modena (Post 10885445)
Ugh! I don't miss that at all, especially now I have two small children. Poor old Finale Emilia has a hard time doesn't it?

All well here, my husband has started working at a local Italian restaurant and he's very pleased to be doing something. He starts his English lessons next week so we're keeping him busy :) First day at pre-school tomorrow for my little girl too.

Ok - sounds like it's going well for you anyway. :thumbsup: