Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Had to cook double dinner tonight,

Had to cook double dinner tonight,

Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Had to cook double dinner tonight,

no, noone came, I found a big maggot in the bean soup.
I thought Greek style baked beans and roast smokey ribs might be a good change, but just when I cooked the beans I saw the b***er floating. Had to call OH to confirm that it was a maggot and decided to chuck all beans out.
It seems the maggot was in one of the kernels which opened when cooked.
Ah, well, good job I had mince in the freezer for homemade burgers and oven baked homemade chips.
The problem was, I could not eat the mixed salad with it as I kept on imagining a worm crawling out of the salad leaves!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:14 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had to cook double dinner tonight,

That's disgusting. Greek style baked beans?!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

http://greekfood.about.com/od/maindi...antesplaki.htm

Here, start salivating Duffer.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Isakat
no, noone came, I found a big maggot in the bean soup.
I thought Greek style baked beans and roast smokey ribs might be a good change, but just when I cooked the beans I saw the b***er floating. Had to call OH to confirm that it was a maggot and decided to chuck all beans out.
It seems the maggot was in one of the kernels which opened when cooked.
Ah, well, good job I had mince in the freezer for homemade burgers and oven baked homemade chips.
The problem was, I could not eat the mixed salad with it as I kept on imagining a worm crawling out of the salad leaves!
This reminds me of my Italian MIL. My inlaws had spent all afternoon picking fresh peas in their allotment and they brought us some round. She helped me shell them and of course some had maggots in them which I removed. She said I needn't bother removing them because they were made from exactly the same matter as the peas they ate and tasted the same too. She had been eating them for years!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pugliese
This reminds me of my Italian MIL. My inlaws had spent all afternoon picking fresh peas in their allotment and they brought us some round. She helped me shell them and of course some had maggots in them which I removed. She said I needn't bother removing them because they were made from exactly the same matter as the peas they ate and tasted the same too. She had been eating them for years!
Yuck, but not as bad as my cousin's son. When he was a toddler they saw something black sticking out of his mouth, you can guess what it was-a remaining part of a big black cockroach.
One of our friends who used to live in New Zealand told me that she went to a shop and when she put her hand into her pocket to get her wallet out a massive cockroach crawled on her hand. I would have had a heart attack!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Yuck, but not as bad as my cousin's son. When he was a toddler they saw something black sticking out of his mouth, you can guess what it was-a remaining part of a big black cockroach.
One of our friends who used to live in New Zealand told me that she went to a shop and when she put her hand into her pocket to get her wallet out a massive cockroach crawled on her hand. I would have had a heart attack!
this reminds me of when I opened our patio doors and a little lizzard fell off the top onto me. Jesus, did I do a war dance to get it off.

Then in another house we had at Milan we kept hearing scratching near one of the windows. We searched every nook and cranny but couldn't find anything, but the noise continued for days. Finally after closer examination we find a tiny hand poking out from the bottom of the aluminium window frame. A tiny bat had fallen into the frame from the top and got trapped.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

I opened one of the cellars 2 days ago and heard some scratching; shut the door immediately and ran to the neighbours for help. I thought a big rat was in there.
When the neighbour checked, we found a cat.-It had been in there for at least 5 days and we did not notice. I do not think it belongs to anyone as I had seen it before looking for food, but the poor thing had no water.
I sometimes see gekos in our house( this year will put nets on all windows and patio doors), but thankfully none had fallen in top of me!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Years ago, before we moved here, we had a dinner party. At the end of the evening OH asked if anyone wanted coffee. One friend yes please, so he got out our Italian coffee jug thingy (does it have a name?) and made her a coffee. It hadn't been used for a while and when we cleaned it the next morning there was a maggot floating in it that had obviously hatched over night.

Anyone for coffee?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Come down South! Lots of livestock here. A scorpion in my wellies in the garden shed. Gekkos and lizards aplenty around the house and in my studio. I quite like their company to be honest. Reminds me how important nature is. Bats losing their way not uncommon. Rats and mice in the garden shed get poisoned though. And I don't like snakes in our alleyway when I go out for fags. Earwigs and other creepy crawlies in the veg. from the garden is quite normal - just rinse 'em away.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I opened one of the cellars 2 days ago and heard some scratching; shut the door immediately and ran to the neighbours for help. I thought a big rat was in there.
When the neighbour checked, we found a cat.-It had been in there for at least 5 days and we did not notice. I do not think it belongs to anyone as I had seen it before looking for food, but the poor thing had no water.
I sometimes see gekos in our house( this year will put nets on all windows and patio doors), but thankfully none had fallen in top of me!
one night we were woken up by a regular thudding noise coming from the cellar. I woke OH to investigate and we boldly went downstairs to find our Sunday roast on the stairs. I had put it out to defrost and a cat had got in through the cellar and was dragging the joint along in the polystyrene tray and down the stairs one at a time! We had a good laugh after dinner when we had still eaten it and told everyone!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pugliese
one night we were woken up by a regular thudding noise coming from the cellar. I woke OH to investigate and we boldly went downstairs to find our Sunday roast on the stairs. I had put it out to defrost and a cat had got in through the cellar and was dragging the joint along in the polystyrene tray and down the stairs one at a time! We had a good laugh after dinner when we had still eaten it and told everyone!
What!! you ate the cat!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
What!! you ate the cat!!!!
suppose I asked for that one!

Mind you my MIL said they used to eat cats during the war, they cut their tails off and skinned them and sold them as rabbits!