Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

The Good/Bad Old Days

The Good/Bad Old Days

Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:42 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Good/Bad Old Days

Yes, I love receiving a letter, but it seems such a long time since I didn't get just brown letters or the awful bumffffffff. Oh, I just remembered I did get a letter recently from my Italian neighbour saying he would miss us and what a pleasure it was having us for neighbours. It was totally unexpected and such a pleasure. So, I think we should have a send a friend a letter day. It's nice to bring a smile to someones lips.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:56 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I found in my letterbox a one and a half A4 page hand written letter from a Jehovah's witness. Well... they didn't even have the decency to put my name on it so I binned it.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by duffer
I found in my letterbox a one and a half A4 page hand written letter from a Jehovah's witness. Well... they didn't even have the decency to put my name on it so I binned it.
When I was in the UK they came and knocked on my door. I told them I was a Morman and that my wives and I where very interested in religion and sharing our faith. I asked if they wanted to come in and talk to me and my womenfolk Susan and Tabitha or better still maybe they would like to come back in 20 mins when Eliza wife number three was due to return from shopping. then we could all sit down and talk together.

Sadly they declined
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
When I was in the UK they came and knocked on my door. I told them I was a Morman and that my wives and I where very interested in religion and sharing our faith. I asked if they wanted to come in and talk to me and my womenfolk Susan and Tabitha or better still maybe they would like to come back in 20 mins when Eliza wife number three was due to return from shopping. then we could all sit down and talk together.

Sadly they declined
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Patty
I can't help it really. One Christmas when I was 19 and still living at home Help The Aged turn up collecting.

The woman said "We are collecting for help the aged"
"Hang on while I get you something" I replied

I went into the lounge and told my dad there was someone at the door for him. I followed him to the door and as he stood there in his pipe and slippers I passed him his coat and said to the woman "Ok he's all yours" Turned on my heal and walked away.

Fortunately my dad is a good sport.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help it really. One Christmas when I was 19 and still living at home Help The Aged turn up collecting.

The woman said "We are collecting for help the aged"
"Hang on while I get you something" I replied

I went into the lounge and told my dad there was someone at the door for him. I followed him to the door and as he stood there in his pipe and slippers I passed him his coat and said to the woman "Ok he's all yours" Turned on my heal and walked away.

Fortunately my dad is a good sport.
Have to say I read this in my lunch hour and went back to work grinning away thinking of their faces
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
Have to say I read this in my lunch hour and went back to work grinning away thinking of their faces
I love Help The Aged - Dr Bernados - Oxfam - Children In Need - Cancer Research etc. but I must admit that I shop around for the best deals on books as some of them hve got quite dear.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:58 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

The cheapest place I have found for books has been "Help the Aged". Oxfam you need to take out a mortgage for a second hand book. It's a shame cos I remember Oxfam used to be great. The Ryder shops have got expensive too.
I walked into a second hand shop the other day and couldn't find anything second hand. It was all Christmas paper, gifts, etc
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:07 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered some deep snowy winters when I was little.
One year the snow was higher than my wellies so dad walked me to school on his shoulders.

School was closed a few times when the pipes froze.

Mum used to warn us about scorching our frozen hands near the fire because we'd get chillblains and once she caught me sitting with my back against the radiator and told me that I'd melt all the marrow in my bones
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
One year the snow was higher than my wellies so dad walked me to school on his shoulders.

Mum used to warn us about scorching our frozen hands near the fire because we'd get chillblains and once she caught me sitting with my back against the radiator and told me that I'd melt all the marrow in my bones
Did you use to put plastic bags over your feet closed with an elastic band round the ankle to keep your feet dry in the wellies because the snow also entered them?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Nice memories. I remember going down a field laid on top of my dads back as he steered the sledge. As we reached the end of the field he saw the barbed wire and rolled both of us of the sledge into a snow drift.

When I was fourteen my mum came home with a new pair of wellies for me. Unfortunately when she bought them from the stall in the market she didn't match them up properly. This was fine until I wore them in the snow. My left foot left circles imprints in the snow and my right foot left zig zag lines in the snow much to the delight of my friends.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by pugliese
Did you use to put plastic bags over your feet closed with an elastic band round the ankle to keep your feet dry in the wellies because the snow also entered them?
Yes !

And at infant school we had to keep them put together with a peg with our name on it.

Mittens had strings on them but were wooly ones so didn't keep your hands dry if you wanted to make snowballs or snowmen.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:44 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice memories. I remember going down a field laid on top of my dads back as he steered the sledge. As we reached the end of the field he saw the barbed wire and rolled both of us of the sledge into a snow drift.

When I was fourteen my mum came home with a new pair of wellies for me. Unfortunately when she bought them from the stall in the market she didn't match them up properly. This was fine until I wore them in the snow. My left foot left circles imprints in the snow and my right foot left zig zag lines in the snow much to the delight of my friends.
You were lucky. Mine came home with a pair from the army and navy store. They were both lefts (or rights) and she shouted at me because I said they didn't fit.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:44 am

My left foot left circles imprints in the snow and my right foot left zig zag lines in the snow much to the delight of my friends.
Brilliant.

My dad and Uncle made us an igloo in the garden one year. We actually had a tea-party inside it sitting on an old sheet of plastic. We must have been crazy.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by 37100
You were lucky. Mine came home with a pair from the army and navy store. They were both lefts (or rights) and she shouted at me because I said they didn't fit.
Poor you.

Funny how wellies never ever kept your feet warm no matter how many pairs of socks you had on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.