Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Gardening in the north

Gardening in the north

Old Feb 10th 2019, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

OliveCameToo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gardening in the north

I wasnt sure where to put this, admin please move if in the wrong place.

Our family house is in the northern part of Veneto, between Cortina and Belluno. I have a small piece of garden which I would like to make productive (so, only fruit and veg) but need advise on what to grow. We will only be there, though, from April through to November (very approx). I need the plants/trees to look after themselves, for the most part, be 'perennial', and survive very cold winter conditions. As I have never gardened here its difficult to know what will survive.

I would like to grow grapes and apples (I know these grow as there are uncultivated plants in the village) And we can grow annual type veg like tomatoes, courgettes etc etc when we are staying there. Anything else please?
Thank you
Old Feb 10th 2019, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening in the north

All the normal veg can be planted during that time i.e. Toms, peppers, chillies, aubergine, beans, squash, melons, cucumber, courgettes, fennel. In addition you could plant onions, garlic, chickpeas, fava in November (late October) before you leave. I’ve probably missed a few which hopefully others will pick up on. All the herbs apart from basil will over winter in the ground. The squash (if you grow), onions and garlic will store over winter. Asparagus and artichokes will come year after year so can be planted in their own beds out of the rotation. Enjoy!
Old Feb 11th 2019, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Cardoons are versatile plants and can stand very hot and cold conditions. Plant the seeds now and they will make nice fllowers in the summer. Cut them down at the end of August and they will regrow from the root. The new shoots need to be wrapped in cardboard to tenderise them a few weeks before consumption. Perenial lettuce (acertosa) is worth a try.
Globe artichokes are more difficult to grow. Like asparagus they need some winter sunshine and require fertile soil. Jerussalem artichokes are very easily grown and make yellow flowers in the Autumn. They need a dampish place to grow.
You can put a mulch round these vegetables to reduce the maintenance.
If I was buying fuit trees I would look for old varieties. Modern heavy cropping types seem to be subject to a lot of funghal illnesses. My most reliable fruit tree is a persimmon.
Bob Flowerdew has written about perrenial vegetable growing.

Last edited by philat98; Feb 11th 2019 at 7:42 am.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both, some great ideas. What do you think of raspberries<? We grew autumn ones in Somerset, although I think the birds got more than us!
Old Feb 11th 2019, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Raspberries like moisture retentive slighltly acidic fertile soil. A lot of Italy is dry chalky clay that dries out in the summer. Wild rasberries grow near my village in open woods above 1000m and the fruit arrives the same time as in the UK. I made quite a lot of jam 3 years ago but the dry summer 2 years ago damaged the plants and there was no fruit last year.

Last edited by philat98; Feb 11th 2019 at 2:03 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

The soil in the garden is quite light, its a long time since it has been used as an 'orto'. Will have to get composting!
Old Feb 11th 2019, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you look in the woods above Belluno you might find them. The wild ones are very tasty. They are Euro20 per kg in the supermarket so the countrymen are looking for them too.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Might start a business........
Old Feb 11th 2019, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OliveCameToo
Might start a business........
I was very pleased when I found some bushes when I was out for a country walk a few years ago. I go to pick them at 7am before anyone else arrives. I wonder if they are growing in the Abruzzo?
Old Feb 11th 2019, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Probably prolific up in the more mountainous areas. We're by the sea at present and moving up to Veneto in a few months. Then house hunting around the Venice area, as much too cold and remote where the family house is.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OliveCameToo
Thank you both, some great ideas. What do you think of raspberries<? We grew autumn ones in Somerset, although I think the birds got more than us!
A friend planted some rasberry canes a the start of last year and had a superb crop, but she did get the canes from the UK - strawberry person myself and they love it i Italy as long as you remove the weeds 1-2 twice a year.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, love strawberries too. Had success in the UK planting them in raised long pots, fixed to the veg garden (low) boundary fence. Somerset = lots of rain = lots of slugs. Blackbirds had a field day, but we had the lovely experience of the dad bringing his children to the garden to eat them. He also taught them how to jump up and catch a raspberry in their beaks to get them off the canes. We couldntbegrudge them any
Old Feb 11th 2019, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
A friend planted some rasberry canes a the start of last year and had a superb crop, but she did get the canes from the UK - strawberry person myself and they love it i Italy as long as you remove the weeds 1-2 twice a year.
I have tried growing both and they didn't love it in my garden. I suspect that soft fruit isn't that easy to grow because it is not for sale at the local market. We just get strawberries from other regions.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha! Masses of strawberries produced in Abruzzo, but they do like lots of water April to November
Old Feb 12th 2019, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I am putting in my shallots and onion sets today. I am more confident of success with those as long as a wild pig doesn't get in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.