Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Baby Emily is here!

Baby Emily is here!

Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future
Default Baby Emily is here!

Our Italian-English baby, Emily Rose was born in Modena on 10th August, weighing 4.17 kg and measuring 53 cm!

The hospital stay was quite the experience. Emily was born at the lovely birthing centre of the local hospital, but sadly it's so tiny (room for 2 labouring women and 2 recovering ones) that there wasn't room for me to stay and I was sent to the main ward- where I spent 3 days being addressed as "bed 29"! Plus, hardly any help for this first time mum with breastfeeding, then 2 days into my stay I got a massive dressing down as the baby was having difficulty latching on, and was made to bottle feed! I'm now back home trying to undo that damage with the help of a midwife at the local consultorio.

Anyway, we're trying to get all her documents in order and it would seem that Italy does not issue birth certificates- can this be true? I can see it causing all kinds of chaos in Britain if my half-British baby has no birth certificate!

Emily is absolutely beautiful by the way!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baby Emily is here!

Congratulations! I love hearing about new babies. Must be quick - its my last night in the UK and fish and chips are on the way! When you register the birth you are given a document - sheet of A4 really. I have used this to get a UK passport, UK child benefit and to open a UK bank account. Its not called a certificate, so maybe therein lies the confusion.

I'm sure that lots of people have told you this, but enjoy this time, it really is magical.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Congratulations! I love hearing about new babies. Must be quick - its my last night in the UK and fish and chips are on the way! When you register the birth you are given a document - sheet of A4 really. I have used this to get a UK passport, UK child benefit and to open a UK bank account. Its not called a certificate, so maybe therein lies the confusion.

I'm sure that lots of people have told you this, but enjoy this time, it really is magical.
Thanks!

My (Italian) husband has been twice to the comune and was told that they don't issue any kind of document. Do you know what yours was called? I do know they've added her to my stato di famiglia- could that be it?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever your beaurocratic problems- many congratulations-special days
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by K in Modena
Thanks!

My (Italian) husband has been twice to the comune and was told that they don't issue any kind of document. Do you know what yours was called? I do know they've added her to my stato di famiglia- could that be it?
I get home on Thursday, if someone else hasn't told you by then I'll find what I was given and let you know. I know that it is an extract of some sort.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:19 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!!!!!!

So - having another?!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:13 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

I love babies. I have just become a nonnie & that's so good. Congratulations & enjoy your baby
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:48 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Our Italian-English baby, Emily Rose was born in Modena on 10th August, weighing 4.17 kg and measuring 53 cm!

The hospital stay was quite the experience. Emily was born at the lovely birthing centre of the local hospital, but sadly it's so tiny (room for 2 labouring women and 2 recovering ones) that there wasn't room for me to stay and I was sent to the main ward- where I spent 3 days being addressed as "bed 29"! Plus, hardly any help for this first time mum with breastfeeding, then 2 days into my stay I got a massive dressing down as the baby was having difficulty latching on, and was made to bottle feed! I'm now back home trying to undo that damage with the help of a midwife at the local consultorio.

Anyway, we're trying to get all her documents in order and it would seem that Italy does not issue birth certificates- can this be true? I can see it causing all kinds of chaos in Britain if my half-British baby has no birth certificate!

Emily is absolutely beautiful by the way!
Hi K and congratulations. Sounds like baby Emily was fairly big. Hope you're feeling better about everything now that you're back in the comfort of your own home and are no longer just bed 29.

Anyway - as far as documents are concerned I can tell you everything.

It is true that Italy does not issue birth certificates for you to bring home and keep safe forever as we know them in England ......... but Italy does of course do birth certificates.

What usually happens is that you go to the town hall with the papers the hospital gave you and they register the baby on your stato di famiglia and also in the birth register and then you go home empty handed.

If at any time in the future you need a birth certificate, you go and ask for one at the ufficio anagrafe. There are two types of document here and I know this for certain because I recently asked for Chloe's and I have them in my hands right now so that I can give you the exact wording. I asked for them in order to get Chloe a British passport (which I haven't done yet) and I have both types because the first one they gave me was no good to me as it does not have the parents names on it and more specifically being the British mother it does not have my name on it.

Type 1.

ESTRATTO DI NASCITA

(This type just simply says)

****** CHLOE
Nata a VALDAGNO (VI) il 26/05/2000

Atto N. 36 - 1 - A - 2000 - Piovene Rocchette - VI

Annotazioni: Nulla

It is FREE
__________________________________________________ _______________

Type 2.

CERTIFICATO DI NASCITA

******* CHLOE
di ****** MASSIMO e di ********** LORNA JANE
è nata il 26/05/2000 a VALDAGNO (VI)

Atto N.36 - 1 - A - 2000 Piovene Rocchette (VI)

It is FREE.

They are both just the usual comune print outs on an A4 sheet of paper with the comune stamp and the official's signature squiggle.

If anybody asks why you need a certificato di nascita just say it's for a British passport or for the Embassy. They shouldn't ask any more questions.

I hope that helps and have you used the "lucky" shirt ?????

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Aug 22nd 2010 at 7:54 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:53 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gio
I love babies. I have just become a nonnie & that's so good. Congratulations & enjoy your baby
Congrats on becoming a Nonno. Boy or girl?
Are you a Granddad, Grandpa, Gramps, Grumpy Old Man (just kidding)?
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Congratulations !!!!!!!!! I've been looking out for you on the other site ! Sorry to here about the no help and breastfeeding situation. I had the same when I had DD, I did find the consultorio fantastic though.
Seems Lorna has answered your question, I have a old, grotty piece of paper with DD's photo on it that I used the first time I brought her to UK. I used that to get her passport.
Look forward to hearing more about ur bubba !!!

PS I'm still waiting for my typically Sicilian baby to make an appearance !!! If not here by Thursday and having a section as already a week over !!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:16 am

Fingers crossed baby comes soon. Keep us posted.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:42 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Congrats on becoming a Nonno. Boy or girl?
Are you a Granddad, Grandpa, Gramps, Grumpy Old Man (just kidding)?
Both!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NONNO!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone!

Lorna- that's great thanks, we have to go to the ufficio anagrafe anyway to get her codice fiscale so will request the certificato di nascita there.
Yes we did use the camicietta della fortuna, my mum sewed a piece of soft silk that was left over from fiddling with my wedding dress, onto the embroidery on the inside. She only wore it as soon as she was born though, they took her away for the whole night as I fainted in the loo (I'd lost a lot of blood but they made me get up and try to get up and go to the loo anyway) and by the next morning it had been removed, so no photos for Nonna!

TR- yes, I'll be having another one but would like to get this one eating first! I'm finding it really hard going.

Selinuntina- thanks, I've only just got around to posting on the August group of the other site as the days just seem to race by and I'm having a hard time with breastfeeding. So first ports of call were the breastfeeding group and here to ask about documents! Any advice to help her latch on would be gratefully received since you say you went through something similar- she now latches on to the left breast most of the time (but needed to be fed about 50 ml this morning before even considering it) but wants nothing to do with the right! Hope your baby decides to come soon and that you get the natural birth you want.

Everyone else- thanks for your thoughts

Emily is indeed a big girl- think it works out at about 9 lb 3- and has a shock of black hair that everyone comments on! She does a lot of sleeping as she has been a bit jaundiced due to feeding problems, only really waking when she's hungry. I'm totally in love!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:43 pm

Lorna- that's great thanks, we have to go to the ufficio anagrafe anyway to get her codice fiscale so will request the certificato di nascita there.
No you don't sweetheart.

The comune does not do the codice fiscale. The agenzia delle entrate does the codice fiscale.

Sit back for a while, relax and don't worry about the CF. It should get sent out to your house automatically. My son's did and that was all of 7 years ago. A plastic one. The comune passes all relevant info onto the agenzia delle entrate as soon as the birth has been registered and then they will send the card to your address. It's one of the few things that happens automatically here.

Like I said, relax for a bit, get the feeding sorted (don't let anybody bully you into either bottle or breast) in a way that suits you both. Stick on an old, baggy comfy t-shirt and loll around the house in the cool shade doing nothing except marvelling at the perfect baby girl you made. Don't be dragging yourself around each and every office in this heat.

Have a little champagne. You deserve it. Welcome to the world little Emily

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Aug 22nd 2010 at 12:47 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations of the birth of Emily - and well done you

Hope the breastfeeding gets better - persevere and get all the help and advice you can. I had a brilliant book called Breast is best by Dr's Penny and Andrew Stanway (i think?) but I seem to have lost it. It was really helpful and I managed to breastfeed all my 3 children. Maybe try the NCT's website too cos they are very helpful regarding breastfeeding.

In the meantime - relax and enjoy being a mum - it gets easier as you get to know each other

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.