British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   Zambia and The Congo Pedicle (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/zambia-congo-pedicle-934197/)

scot47 Aug 6th 2020 2:34 pm

Zambia and The Congo Pedicle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congo_...1NRHJorLWqje8A

In the 1970s I was part of a very large group of teachers recruited by The Ministry of Overseas Development to teach in Zambia. I was posted to Samfya, a small town on the shores of lake bangweul. In school holidays many of the teachers used to drive to Mufuluri, Ndola or Kitwe on The Copperbelt. To get there we had to drive through what was then "The Zaire Pedicle", an example of how the colonialists carved up Africa after the Congress of Berlin.

I wonder who else has travelled through The Pedicle.

Pulaski Aug 6th 2020 3:18 pm

Re: Zambia and The Congo Pedicle

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12893314)
.... "The Zaire Pedicle", an example of how the colonialists carved up Africa after the Congress of Berlin.

I wonder who else has done that?

Nobody that I know of, but give them time and the Chinese might be willing to give it a shot. :unsure:

scot47 Aug 8th 2020 2:00 pm

The Chinese were there in a big way even in the 1970s. I witnessed the construction of TAZARA, the rail link between Dar Es Salaam and the Zambian Rail Network. Now the Chinese are there are in greater numbers as they eagerly pursue the capitalist road.

In my days there, we had 4 days off school to join in the mourning for The Great Helmsman Mao. i wonder what he would make of all this.

Thairetired2016 Aug 10th 2020 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12894114)
The Chinese were there in a big way even in the 1970s. I witnessed the construction of TAZARA, the rail link between Dar Es Salaam and the Zambian Rail Network. Now the Chinese are there are in greater numbers as they eagerly pursue the capitalist road.

In my days there, we had 4 days off school to join in the mourning for The Great Helmsman Mao. i wonder what he would make of all this.

Chinese are training Zambian police force. Chinese also reorganize civil service.

Thairetired2016 Aug 10th 2020 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12894114)

Chinese are training Zambian police force. Chinese also reorganize civil service.

scot47 Aug 11th 2020 10:52 pm

I recollect that in the 1970s (my time in Zambia) a contingent of young Zambian males was sent to study at Chinese universities on full scholarships funded by Beijing. Within a year a ll had returned to Zambia.

At the same time I came across a few Zambians who had successfully studied in eastern Europe and returned to work in Lusaka. I recollect one pediatrician who had studied in Bulgaria where he gained his medical qualifications. He treated my eldest son for measles.

scot47 Aug 30th 2020 11:20 am

The old colonialist in Africa are not pleased by the activities of "The Capitalist Roaders" from Beijing. Like it or not, "The East is Red !"

Thairetired2016 Aug 30th 2020 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12903559)
The old colonialist in Africa are not pleased by the activities of "The Capitalist Roaders" from Beijing. Like it or not, "The East is Red !"

And who are "the old colonialists"?
I doubt there are many of those still alive.

scot47 Aug 30th 2020 5:38 pm

lots still have the colonialist outlook !

magnification Sep 22nd 2020 1:37 pm

Went from Copperbelt to Lubumbashi several decades ago. Several unofficial borders to bribe oneself through. Regarding colonialists, Zimbabwe is trying to entice some commercial farmers back.

Pulaski Sep 22nd 2020 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by magnification (Post 12913022)
..... Regarding colonialists, Zimbabwe is trying to entice some commercial farmers back.

So "land reform" in the bread basket of Africa didn't quite go according to plan. Who'd've thunk it? :rolleyes:

scot47 Sep 22nd 2020 3:44 pm

Many white farmers from Zimbabwe have crossed the river to take up farming in Zambia.

magnification Aug 4th 2021 5:32 pm

A handful of commercial farmers are again trying their luck in Zim. Time will tell.