British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   Work In Nigeria (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/work-nigeria-708609/)

x117a Mar 9th 2011 1:23 pm

Work In Nigeria

Hi,

I have recently been offered a position for a large Telco in Nigeria. I have looked online and can't seem to find any current information on the living conditions or safety of the place. Really any of the usual info would be great, what's it like ? Has anyone had any good/bad experiences?

Thanks in advance for any information.

JHO Mar 29th 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Work In Nigeria

I am looking into the place my self, if you have any news please post here, I will do the same also.

victormob Apr 6th 2011 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by JHO (Post 9272430)
I am looking into the place my self, if you have any news please post here, I will do the same also.

First of all, you ought to be mighty careful. Moving to a place like Nigeria is a FAR cry from the pattern your life had followed if you were born and have lived in Europe or the Western world all your life. There are no roads/good roads, no water. Light/power/electricity, call it what you prefer is a very essential commodity but in the HIGHEST meaning of it, it is in acute short supply if you can figure out what I mean.
But again, you didn't give much insight into nature of job, location, length of your stay, salary and other conditions of service (for the job). I bet you, if you are turning out to be a foreign collaborator (no offense is intended), you could then be smiling all the days of your life in-spite of the various lack(s) or non-availability of life essentials etc etc. The list is endless. Maybe this is needless to say (but again, no offense is intended), if you are a white male, count yourself lucky. In as much as you could afford dishing out, some currencies, that will automatically meant, a remote control in your hand, and for all girls in town/city, all roads lead to your "house". Plenty of good things, apart from the non-availability of essential services. The level of hospitality is crazy and if rated, is astronomical. Just be ready for a good sun-tan. Heat is also in abundance. So enjoy it!
However with all said, if you could give a bit more info, I could then give more details as to what to expect. Enjoy your day.

TYT Aug 18th 2011 12:16 am

Still need info on Nigeria? Update thread and let me know what info exactly you require. It certainly is not as bad as illustrated above.

x117a Aug 18th 2011 2:27 pm

Hi,

Yes still interested am finally going through the interview process at the moment.

All I really want to know is some basic reliable information. Ideally:
1. Is it safe enough to bring my wife with me.
2. Are there any UK/US expat organizations around.
3. Where are the good areas to live in Lagos.
4. Is there actual stuff to do outside of work?
5. How safe is it really? I've heard both sides of the story here, but not sure what to believe.

Basically any honest reliable info would be great.

TYT Aug 18th 2011 3:22 pm

Hi x117a,

In response to your questions:

1. Is it safe enough to bring my wife with me. - Absolutely. Living is very different from living in the UK for example. Like any other cosmopolitan city, it has its fair share of good and bad. Exercise normal security caution as you would in say, New York and you will be fine.

2. Are there any UK/US expat organizations around. - Yes there many US/US organisations/ multinationals in Nigeria, particularly in the last few years. Nigeria is one of the most lucrative emerging markets in the world at the moment.

3. Where are the good areas to live in Lagos. - Admittedly, many areas in Lagos are a bit off the mark, but the best places to live are Lekki and Ikoyi (both on the island). I wouldn't bother with the mainland if i were you. There are some pockets of nice areas on the mainland, like Apapa and Ikeja; but not really my cup of tea. I find them too busy for residential living.

4. Is there actual stuff to do outside of work? - :thumbsup: Loads. On the island there are all kinds of restaurants (my personal recommendations will be Sky Lounge at the penthouse of Eko Hotel, Cafe Royal, both on Victoria Island). There is a lot of boating activities, beaches and some surfing and sailing. There are private beaches where you and a group of friends can rent the beach house for a few hours or a weekend. Lagos provides the opportunity to carve out your own niche. There is a huge expat community in Lagos. If you are into the party scene, Lagos parties are reknowned. Go on youtube and look for the music video Lagos Party by Banky W.

5. How safe is it really? I've heard both sides of the story here, but not sure what to believe. - Like New York or London, one has to be vigilant in Lagos and exercise loads of common sense. Lagos is not a city where you leave your car unlocked and forget the key in the ignition. Having said that, most cities aren't that way anymore. It is a very vibrant city and if you are looking for a lifestyle/ better quality of life move, then Lagos is definitely not the place. But if you are looking at getting there on a short term mission, make loads of money to pay off your mortgage, purchase a property abroad or whatever other financial goals you might have, then, i'll definitely say, go with it, focus on your objective, do what you have to do and get out when the objective is achieved.

In terms of health care, i would advise you ensure your job makes adequate provision for health care. The larger corporations tend to use te best hospitals in Lagos. Do not take health care for granted and don't just see any doctor. My family and i spent 18months in Lagos from 2008 - mid 2010. We lived in Victoria Garden City - which is in Lekki and a very nice and secure gated community, then Lekki Phase 1 for a bit. But it depends on where you get a job, because VGC is a bit far from VI which is where the majority of offices are based.

Schools - In Lekki, there are: British International School (BIS), Italian School (IS), Childrens International School (CIS). My younger son went to Italian School and i was quite pleased with the school. CIS run teh British Curriculum & seems to have a lot of good recommendations, but it is still relatively new. There is also the American International School. If you somehow end up in the Ikeja area, Grange is very good.

Shopping Malls - in Lekki there is The Palms. In VI there is Silverbird Galleria. Both of which have clothing stores, cinemas, The Palms has a huge Supermarket called Shoprite where you can get just about everything from veg to meats to extension leads.

I will try to post a couple of links on things to do in Lagos.

x117a Aug 18th 2011 3:31 pm

Wow, thanks for all the good information, first bit of actual good advice I've been able to get.

TYT Aug 18th 2011 3:52 pm

You are welcome. You can also get some idea of places to visit/ things to do at the link below.

http://www.makeitnigeria.com/what_to...recreation.htm

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask.

TYT Aug 18th 2011 7:38 pm

Some snippets of Lagos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSKvgU3TEm4

This 2nd link is one of American Cara Harshman, who studied the Yoruba language and went into the ghettos in Lagos to practice her knowledge of the language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwJx7pil5nQ

TYT Aug 19th 2011 12:48 am

Originally Posted by x117a (Post 9567194)
Wow, thanks for all the good information, first bit of actual good advice I've been able to get.

You can also look on this site for bits of information:

http://www.goodlife.com.ng/

Purdey Sep 22nd 2011 7:03 am

Personally, I would try to visit Lagos (at your prospective employer's expense) with wife and check it out for myself before committing. Your wife will *probably* hate the place - mine did!
Lagos is a huge hot humid bustling city and not a peasant place to visit in comparison with almost any other world city.
Having said all that, I stayed there for 10 years in the 90's and it was OK. There is golf and tennis at the Ikoyi Club, yachting and motor boating and beaches; plenty of restaurants and night clubs/bars.
Security is an issue everywhere in Lagos and I'd look for a high rise flat or gated community. Water and power supply are also unreliable but everywhere you are likely to go has standby gensets.
In conclusion, don't dismiss it but do your in-depth research and ensure your package includes suitable accommodation, car, driver, at least 2 return flights home a year, healthcare, school fees if appropriate etc etc. Make certain you will end up making a significant amount of money after tax etc.
Good luck (you'll need it :p)