UN Peacekeeping Forces

Old Feb 8th 2020, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UN Peacekeeping Forces

Daughter-in-law has just been posted as part of the Zambian Contingent to UN Peacekeeping Duties in The Central African Republic. Mixed feelings on my part. Her son, my grandson is very agitated about this and thinks it could be dangerous. Any thoughts out there ?
Old Feb 9th 2020, 6:23 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UN Peacekeeping Forces

The CAR is in a pretty dire state. In these situations, any external armed force is bound to be unpopular with at least some of the players involved. Furthermore, UN forces in this and similar African dust-ups have often not covered themselves in glory in terms of treating local populations well. I would say it could be quite risky to be a woman soldier in such an environment.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

UNOCI 1 UNMIT 2 UNMIS 3 UNMIL 1 UNIOSIL 1 UNAVEM 7 UNAMSIL 34 UNAMIR 3 UNAMID 6 UNAMI 1 UN Secretariat 1 ONUMOZ 13 MONUC 1 MONUA 3 MINUSCA 4

Published fatalities of Zambian Blue Helmets. Sierra Leone is high but not C.A.R. (MINUSCA)

The acronyms are UN-speak for the different missions in which The Blue Helmets are involved. https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/military

Last edited by scot47; Feb 9th 2020 at 6:48 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The times I have been around them, I would not say it was particularly risky for that context. Any time you are in an unstable environment stuff can hit the fan but it really depends on what the job is that the person is doing. "UN peacekeeper" is pretty nebulous and can mean anything.

I, personally, would not be too worried. They aren't on their own there.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have been talking to her son who is concerned. I try to reassure him that it will be okay.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alarming reading on the pages of Wikipedia about the security situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MISCA

Last edited by scot47; Mar 7th 2020 at 6:30 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/mission/minusca

Daughter-in-law will be there shortly. Her son, one of my grandchildren, is alarmed.
Old May 1st 2020, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All on hold now because of the virus. Has someone told the insurgents in CAR to observe the Lockdown until the virus is fixed ?
Old Jun 11th 2020, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Daughter-in-law expects to head off soon. I will post any news that I hear.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-B...t-_ZfMQ2W6E4-o

I had forgotten about the horror stories. The good news is that Zamnbia and other African countries contribute tro "Peacekeeping" ( a euphemism ?) Daughter-in-law resumes training prior to deployment. I suggested she take steps to learn one of the local languages. i suspect that Lingala is not used that far North.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She arrived today. I have been alarmed at reading some of the advice form The US State Department to US citizens travelling in that area

It is some comfort that my d-in-law is not an American.