Reload this Page >

Trip To South Africa/Mozambique

Trip To South Africa/Mozambique

Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough
Default Trip To South Africa/Mozambique

Hi Everyone,

After being away from home (SA) for 6 years travelling, we plan to go back to Johannesburg for the December holidays, we're also thinking of travelling to Mozambique if money allows. A few questions have sprung up about our trip....

Car hire, although I know of many car hire places over there, I believe that you cannot take a hire car over to Mozambique, does anyone know of any companies that will allow this? Would it perhaps be cheaper/less hassle to fly there?

Can anyone suggest any great places(hotels etc) in Mozambique? or websites etc....

Last question, which may seem a bit silly, but I cant remember how much things were, and although I can look online, I can never be too sure... so, how much money on average in Rand will I need to have a fantastic holiday for 4 weeks? if anyone has recently travelled and can suggest a ball park figure for this.... it will be very helpful....

thanks for your time...
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip To South Africa/Mozambique

Avis used to do 4x4 hire for Mocambique, google 4x4 Hire mocambique, there used to be Company's in Nelspruit and Kpmatipoort that would rent landrover 110 defender Station wagone.

I can recommend Tofo at Inhambane as well as Barra Lodge.
the lodges on Mageruque, Benguerra and Paradise island off Vilanculos were pricey but well run.
as to costs , last time I was there (last July/August) I took about 6k euro for the SA leg, did not get to moz that time but it will be slightly cheaper than SA.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your reply. Will definately look into it
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Europcar in Maputo have absolutely no problem with their vehicles crossing into SA or Swaziland. You just need to advise them in advance to enable them to provide the document to cross the border. Can't see why there'd be any problem coming from SA. Though Europcar will not allow a swdan to be driven north of Xai-Xai; must be a 4WD.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

nomad4u is an unknown quantity at this point

Here ya go mate:
http://mozambique.embassyhomepage.co...ssy_london.htm

Originally Posted by deedee_b
Hi Everyone,

After being away from home (SA) for 6 years travelling, we plan to go back to Johannesburg for the December holidays, we're also thinking of travelling to Mozambique if money allows. A few questions have sprung up about our trip....

Car hire, although I know of many car hire places over there, I believe that you cannot take a hire car over to Mozambique, does anyone know of any companies that will allow this? Would it perhaps be cheaper/less hassle to fly there?

Can anyone suggest any great places(hotels etc) in Mozambique? or websites etc....

Last question, which may seem a bit silly, but I cant remember how much things were, and although I can look online, I can never be too sure... so, how much money on average in Rand will I need to have a fantastic holiday for 4 weeks? if anyone has recently travelled and can suggest a ball park figure for this.... it will be very helpful....

thanks for your time...
Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

sunnysmiley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi deedee
We lived in SA for 34 years, returned to UK in 2008,moved here to Spain last year.
I think you will get quite a shock at how prices have escalated in SA.
We had friends come to Spain to spend Christmas with us and when they told
us some of the prices they were paying we were horrified. So think you need
to do your homework. It used to be much cheaper but not any more. Our friends said
it is pretty much on a par now with UK.
Hope you have a very happy trip.
Just remember to be street smart - crime is
still a horror story.

Last edited by sunnysmiley; Jul 25th 2012 at 12:55 pm. Reason: line text was haphazard.