Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Togo - Malaria prevention advice

Togo - Malaria prevention advice

Old Jun 20th 2009, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Spizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really nice
Default Togo - Malaria prevention advice

Hi all,

I'm heading off to work in Lome, Togo, shortly for about a year. I will be there on a cycle of 3 months on, 10 days off (Cape Town).

If anyone has any advice on Togo in general, then that would be greatly appreciated, but really, I'm wondering about Malaria and the different medications available. I have been trying to read up on the choices for a few days now, but the information available talks about holidays and shorter periods when I'm wondering about the long term ramifications. I've read of hair falling out and all the scary stuff, and I'm looking for real stories and experiences to help me make an informed decision.

So does anyone have any tips/advice/knowledge on the subject? Especially long term exposure to the different types of tablets available? I'm seeing the doctor on Monday for a yellow fever shot and will obviously take his advice on board, but I would like to collate as much as possible before making my mind up.

Thanks for reading,
Spizz
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Togo - Malaria prevention advice

Don't wish to scare you but what about the other nasties. I used to make sure I was upto date every time I returned to the UK.

http://www.traveldoctor.info/trip/result.3.94.2.html

As for malaria,
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068952/

Hope these help

ubdai
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Spizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really nice

Thanks for the reply ubdai.

The Doc sorted me out this morning and thankfully I'm now up to date with all of those 'nasties' mentioned in the url, and he threw in Cholera and Polio for good measure.

As for Malaria, I'll see what medication the people already up there are being prescribed, but the Doc reiterated today what I already knew, long term use is bad news. So I'm armed to the teeth with anti-mossie coils, sprays, creams, soaps, lotions and candles. He also prescribed pills to take should I think I'm coming down with malaria, so I think I'm quite happy for the moment.

But the guys are apparently taking 1 tab a month so I'll research what type it is when I get there and make a choice. Isn't the internet wonderful?

Cheers again,
Spizz
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Spizz, I have mentioned it before, Tomato is a Natural pyrethroid and mozzies stay away from it,(At least the African Anopheles do) chop up a fresh tomato and leave it in a saucer next to your bed at night for when you come out from the Mozzie net to head for the bathroom, it also gets rid of that constant whine of the mozzie squadrons circling the bed.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks Daxk, sounds like a great piece of advice. I'll certainly give it a bash.

I have to say though, I'm rather surprised at how nice the place looks. I'll be staying in a nice air con'ed room which apparently has all of the trimmings (satellite tv, wifi etc) and the hotel has a Caribbean look to it with waterfalls to the pool and thatched roofs on the poolside bars etc..

I guess slumming it ain't what it used to be

Regards,
Spizz
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

emilyspry is an unknown quantity at this point

Doxycycline is licenced for daily use for up to three years and usually has few side effects so that might be worth looking into.

We're taking that for a year in Sierra Leone. I've had malaria before and I don't want it again! Though we are taking a course of treatment along as well, as none of these drugs are 100% effective at prevention.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

RiceOwl09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I will be moving to the Congo in the coming months and was wondering what everyone had found effective for dealing with mosquito, bug nets, sprays, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 28th 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Combat Flight sim 4 probably, the rear gunner in a B-17 over Germany is probably the best.
The Focke-Wulfe 190b (Known as the little Fockers is probably the closest)
Buy an AK 47, or a Tokarev 9mm, the Mozzie, the bed bug, the midge,the 419 are all out to get you.
If Dengue or yellow fever dont get there first!
(sorry! just having some fun)