Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Things you miss about South Africa

Things you miss about South Africa

Old May 25th 2007, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Things you miss about South Africa

Originally Posted by sa2oz
No guava's ( I loved the dried rolls). Also a white mielie. (here there is sweetcorn, but my wife found whie corn from SA).
Becuase of the almst constant 80% humidity biltong is not happy to dry. So I use an airconditioner to cool the air in a sealed box (get rid of water) and then reheat it (to dry better).

My family love jelly tots.

ASDA. i was sent an audio clip of Darren (Whackhead) Simpson from Highveld FM phoning ASDA, getting a PA announceent to say Tescos is cheaper! He phoned saying he is outside and can they call his daughter Tess Cosses-cheaper. Not funny in text

I have to introduce you to this site! : http://biltongbox.com/
Old May 25th 2007, 9:09 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

No guava's ( I loved the dried rolls). Also a white mielie. (here there is sweetcorn, but my wife found whie corn from SA).
Becuase of the almst constant 80% humidity biltong is not happy to dry. So I use an airconditioner to cool the air in a sealed box (get rid of water) and then reheat it (to dry better).

My family love jelly tots.

ASDA. i was sent an audio clip of Darren (Whackhead) Simpson from Highveld FM phoning ASDA, getting a PA announceent to say Tescos is cheaper! He phoned saying he is outside and can they call his daughter Tess Cosses-cheaper. Not funny in text
We heard them play it on the radio when we were home in February. Hubby and I really canned ourselves.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice

Originally Posted by bruce67
I work that side of town and saw that the Aardvark was having a bit of a "referb" that was a few weeks back - let us know how it is

Bruce
Haven’t been to Aardvark for quite a few months so maybe it’s under refurb will let you know.
I went into this Hotel in Eshowe one night can't remember its name (could it have been Royal Oak?) but it was during the period when the Natives started coming more frequently into town say 1999/2000 and the wall paper was half peeled off, furniture broken, generally run down. I asked the receptionist if the place was being refurbished and was told "No, we now cater more for the local trade and this is how they like it!" hence to say I got back in the car and drove home.

Last week at The Slug we got sent to the upstairs bar because the FA Cup took precedence in the main bar, only 1 screen working, the bar much smaller took ages to get a pint, so not giving them my trade this week.
Old May 27th 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice

Originally Posted by bruce67
I work that side of town and saw that the Aardvark was having a bit of a "referb" that was a few weeks back - let us know how it is

Bruce
Bruce,

Aardvark still same as last time I went but fuller because of the occasion, a very friendly welcome nice mix of ages male and female, mostly Afrikaans being spoken, lots Boets and China’s, plenty Springbok Shirts, empty bottles of Savannah Dry, Windhoek Larger, Bacardi Breezers, Castle Lager, tells the story.

There was a Skip outside and a fenced off area enclosing an excavator but it didn’t look like it had anything to do with the Pub.

Inside its got that well used look about it, lots dark wood, creaky furniture, ideal for watching Sport 3 Big Screens with the main one in the back bar laid out with rows chairs very organised and civilised enough room for everybody, I’d say there was probably 80 to 100 people there.

It beats The Slug in my book which is a bit more raucous lot jostling although my Son say’s the reverse but then he’s 19 and I’m 50.

Off the main bar is the paved patio area that has garden tables/benches outside gas heaters, a table tennis table, Spit Roast although it wasn’t on at the time, I asked the bar lady where they were cooking the Bore for the Bore rolls and she said upstairs, pity cos I’d like t have got whiff of that whilst watching the game.

Also asked her for Snakebite but she said they don’t do them cos they don’t have Cider on Tap and have to open a bottle, so?? Didn’t really understand her answer so had Fosters instead

The game itself was complete walkover esp second half SA 58 to UK 10 nevertheless the green shirted brigade cheered on with loads enthusiasm.

Going to try and make it there again next week as well…..
Old May 29th 2007, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Heartfm
Bruce,

The game itself was complete walkover esp second half SA 58 to UK 10 nevertheless the green shirted brigade cheered on with loads enthusiasm.
Lol, funny enough I've heard no mention of the game from anyone here. They usually rub it in when they beat us, but nobody has even commented. Dare I ask if anyone watched the game or would that be too nasty? :P
Old May 30th 2007, 4:05 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Lol, funny enough I've heard no mention of the game from anyone here. They usually rub it in when they beat us, but nobody has even commented. Dare I ask if anyone watched the game or would that be too nasty? :P
What game?

It was our 3rd team anyway! Wait until the world cup! We're still world champions!!! (not sure how much longer I can cling to that particular raft!)
Old May 30th 2007, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

I have to introduce you to this site! : http://biltongbox.com/
His box is a toy compared to mine.
I have a box 1.8 x 1.8 x 0.6 m fitted with an airconditioner and a heater with electronic Tep RH meter/logger and timers.
I could dry half an elephant in there i reckon. When I have the inclination (read knowledge) I will post a picture

I only have 6 kg of silverside in at the moment because of the un seasonal rain.
mmm getting the taste for a test

Last edited by sa2oz; May 30th 2007 at 9:39 am.
Old May 30th 2007, 11:15 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

His box is a toy compared to mine.
I have a box 1.8 x 1.8 x 0.6 m fitted with an airconditioner and a heater with electronic Tep RH meter/logger and timers.
I could dry half an elephant in there i reckon. When I have the inclination (read knowledge) I will post a picture

I only have 6 kg of silverside in at the moment because of the un seasonal rain.
mmm getting the taste for a test
Smartarse!

Still, I just go down the road to pick'n'pay and buy it from the shop.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ededed
Smartarse!

Still, I just go down the road to pick'n'pay and buy it from the shop.
Lucky sod! We pig out on it whenever we're home, as it just tastes so different here in the UK. I don't think the climate is suited for it.

We used to have a biltong room when I still lived at home. My parents are big on meat.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Lucky sod! We pig out on it whenever we're home, as it just tastes so different here in the UK. I don't think the climate is suited for it.

We used to have a biltong room when I still lived at home. My parents are big on meat.
Ahh, but you have Amstel and Stella - we don't. Swap?
Old May 30th 2007, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I admit that I miss kudu biltong. We used to have a permanent supply growing up op die plaas in Zims.
Old May 30th 2007, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Ahh, but you have Amstel and Stella - we don't. Swap?
Do you not have Amstel there?
Old May 30th 2007, 1:05 pm

Do you not have Amstel there?
We used to. But the genuises at SAB screwed up the agreement with Heineken and lost the licence, so it's not currently available. They reckon 12 weeks before they can supply us again. That's assuming we don't run out of gas (happened in March) or bottles (happened in April). Gawd help us.
Old May 30th 2007, 1:07 pm

I admit that I miss kudu biltong. We used to have a permanent supply growing up op die plaas in Zims.
Never tried kudu. I have a rule never to eat anything bigger than me. (that's my mother-in-law out then).
Old May 30th 2007, 1:08 pm

We used to. But the genuises at SAB screwed up the agreement with Heineken and lost the licence, so it's not currently available. They reckon 12 weeks before they can supply us again. That's assuming we don't run out of gas (happened in March) or bottles (happened in April). Gawd help us.
Ah, yes, apparently they had to import cokes from elsewhere due to the gas shortage. My sisters partner works for coke and had to put up with tons of complaints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.