Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Things you miss about South Africa

Things you miss about South Africa

Old May 25th 2007, 12:32 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Things you miss about South Africa

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Congrats on your 1000th post, Campbell!!

THank you
Old May 25th 2007, 12:35 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I've never drank gnats pee so I can't form a proper comparison.

I'm not a big beer drinker though, unless it's in a shandy.
And congrats on your 100th post Kitten!
Old May 25th 2007, 1:43 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ededed
And congrats on your 100th post Kitten!
Thank you! If I'd been aware I'd have tried to made it about something interesting instead of the consuming of gnats pee.

What's with the Senior Member thing? Makes me feel old!
Old May 25th 2007, 2:19 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! If I'd been aware I'd have tried to made it about something interesting instead of the consuming of gnats pee.

What's with the Senior Member thing? Makes me feel old!
I thought the gnat's pee was appropriately irrelevant!

Last edited by ededed; May 25th 2007 at 2:22 pm.
Old May 25th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice

St Marcus? Cool shop. I fly back to good old Heathrow next week Thursday to see my folks - was wondering if you needed me to bring you anything - but looking at your list - it might be tricky! I could probably manage YOU magazine - whatever the hell that is!!!
Don’t know if you’ll be interested in watching SA v UK 2nd test Sat 2nd June, but you probably aware lots of Saffa’s meet at The Slug Fulham Broadway, I’ve been there a few times had couple Snakebites.

Will be trying out The Aardvark Pub close to Surrey Quays/Docklands for first test tomorrow, there is a strong Afrikaans community over that side of town.

Quite safe to wear your Springbok Shirt there..

Once you in the Pub its like instant transformation and you could be in any Pub in SA watching the Rugby…

Just thought I’d let you know, use it, don’t use it…

By the way you don't have a sister called RubyRubyRuby do you??
Old May 25th 2007, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Heartfm
Don’t know if you’ll be interested in watching SA v UK 2nd test Sat 2nd June, but you probably aware lots of Saffa’s meet at The Slug Fulham Broadway, I’ve been there a few times had couple Snakebites.

Will be trying out The Aardvark Pub close to Surrey Quays/Docklands for first test tomorrow, there is a strong Afrikaans community over that side of town.

Quite safe to wear your Springbok Shirt there..

Once you in the Pub its like instant transformation and you could be in any Pub in SA watching the Rugby…

Just thought I’d let you know, use it, don’t use it…

By the way you don't have a sister called RubyRubyRuby do you??

Thanks for the tip - though I'll be cheering on the team in white (the one with 0 next to their name!). I'm more a footie fan anyway - last time I watched England v South Africa at eggchasing was when Jannie de Beer scored 5 drop goals in the world cup. I was in a bar in deepest Harrismith, with my England top and beenie - walking in there alone was like that scene from American Werewolf in London. It went from noisy to quiet in seconds, and lots of large Afrikaaner men with beards the size of Belgium, 6 fingers on each hand and unibrows stared at me with hate in their eyes... Still, when we got humped I was seen as some kind of novelty plaything - I walked* (*crawled) out 8 hours later having not bought a drink and due to my puritan upbringing (and belief in not drinking 15 pints and driving) slept in my car. Woke up to a free wimpy as the waitress felt sorry for me. Brilliant.

I have a brother who's nickname is Ruby - for reasons I really don't want to go into here!!!!!!!!
Old May 25th 2007, 2:45 pm

Thanks for the tip - though I'll be cheering on the team in white (the one with 0 next to their name!). I'm more a footie fan anyway - last time I watched England v South Africa at eggchasing was when Jannie de Beer scored 5 drop goals in the world cup. I was in a bar in deepest Harrismith, with my England top and beenie - walking in there alone was like that scene from American Werewolf in London. It went from noisy to quiet in seconds, and lots of large Afrikaaner men with beards the size of Belgium, 6 fingers on each hand and unibrows stared at me with hate in their eyes... Still, when we got humped I was seen as some kind of novelty plaything - I walked* (*crawled) out 8 hours later having not bought a drink and due to my puritan upbringing (and belief in not drinking 15 pints and driving) slept in my car. Woke up to a free wimpy as the waitress felt sorry for me. Brilliant.

I have a brother who's nickname is Ruby - for reasons I really don't want to go into here!!!!!!!!
LOL!!
Old May 25th 2007, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice

That’s good old hospitality South African Style for sure.

In UK if you eat a lot you are considered a Pig, when with South Africans particulally Afrikaans the more you eat the more they like you….
Old May 25th 2007, 2:58 pm

That’s good old hospitality South African Style for sure.

In UK if you eat a lot you are considered a Pig, when with South Africans particulally Afrikaans the more you eat the more they like you….
Lessons I've learnt in Afrikaans culture:

1. Order your meat by weight, not cut.
2. Drink 10 pints and you are a hero to many
3. Drink 10 pints without puking you are awarded god status
4. Drink anything and puke and you are a "moffie". There is no in between.
5. Don't take beefburger patties to a bbq
6. Don't refer to braais as bbqs, and definitely not barbies.
7. Don't correct people who are 8 feet tall that football isn't called "soccer"
8. Don't try and win the "football is better than rugby" argument with an Afrikaaner
9. The pecking order of life. Boer, rugby, meat, beer, blacks, moffies, Australians.
Old May 25th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Lessons I've learnt in Afrikaans culture:

1. Order your meat by weight, not cut.
2. Drink 10 pints and you are a hero to many
3. Drink 10 pints without puking you are awarded god status
4. Drink anything and puke and you are a "moffie". There is no in between.
5. Don't take beefburger patties to a bbq
6. Don't refer to braais as bbqs, and definitely not barbies.
7. Don't correct people who are 8 feet tall that football isn't called "soccer"
8. Don't try and win the "football is better than rugby" argument with an Afrikaaner
9. The pecking order of life. Boer, rugby, meat, beer, blacks, moffies, Australians.
...And those are just the gay Afrikaners.

Pablo
Old May 25th 2007, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pablo
...And those are just the gay Afrikaners.

Pablo

That's why he left women off his list

Why does an image of Nataniel come into my mind right about now? And the mense that used to hold prayer meetings on his front lawn
Old May 25th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Things you miss about South Africa

I work that side of town and saw that the Aardvark was having a bit of a "referb" that was a few weeks back - let us know how it is

Bruce
Old May 25th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Things you miss about South Africa

I've flown too many times to remember how many.

SAA - we've only flown twice and both trips were problem free. They're more expensive than BA though.
Virgin - probably my favourite. (The extra leg room does help too)
BA - our last flight (return) with them was in February and it was wonderful both ways, however we have had one or two bad experiences, but I would fly with them again
Iberia - Sucks!!!
Flown nationwide the last 2 times - will not fly with anyone else now. Not only is it great to fly from Gatwick but the food and service were spot on and having book 14 months in advance we paid only £506 per pers at christmas!

Bruce
Old May 25th 2007, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by bruce67
Flown nationwide the last 2 times - will not fly with anyone else now. Not only is it great to fly from Gatwick but the food and service were spot on and having book 14 months in advance we paid only £506 per pers at christmas!

Bruce
My sister flew with Nationwide and was also very happy with them, the price was by far the cheapest.

Our trip back in February was booked 6 months ahead of time and we only paid £1500 for four of us through BA. We just happened to check the one evening and they had a special on so we booked that same night.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Lol @ checking your biltong drier. My Brother-in-law makes his own too, but you can still taste the difference in the meat.

We have Nando's here too and Spur for when we have a craving.

We also have Appletizer, Beacons liquorice, Granadillas (passion fruit), lychees and Gem squash in our local asda. The only thing we seem to be missing is Guava's. I can buy the tinned ones in the SA shop though.
No guava's ( I loved the dried rolls). Also a white mielie. (here there is sweetcorn, but my wife found whie corn from SA).
Becuase of the almst constant 80% humidity biltong is not happy to dry. So I use an airconditioner to cool the air in a sealed box (get rid of water) and then reheat it (to dry better).

My family love jelly tots.

ASDA. i was sent an audio clip of Darren (Whackhead) Simpson from Highveld FM phoning ASDA, getting a PA announceent to say Tescos is cheaper! He phoned saying he is outside and can they call his daughter Tess Cosses-cheaper. Not funny in text

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.