Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Things you miss about South Africa

Things you miss about South Africa

Old May 25th 2007, 12:02 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you miss about South Africa

[QUOTE=Kitten24;4829908]I envy you Ededed. Sounds like you and your wife are living the good life.

[QUOTE]

Yup, I'm Richard Briers and she's Felicity Kendall.

(I bet there are some Saffa's who won't have a clue what that's a reference to!)

Thanks Kitten - I think so too.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:03 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ededed
After 4 years here and 5 years in the UK during the past 9 years I am in a fortunate position to make a balanced judgement call. I looked long and hard at the decision - agonised for months and then plumped for SA. I had a good job and a good life in London, but my long term plan has always been to retire here to a golf estate and spend my last days whacking my balls into a lake (so to speak). The reason we decided to come back was that I could we could afford for my wife not to work (which would never happen with our London life), she would be nearer her family, we stop suffering from SAD and I could effectively semi-retire! At 36! I now spend 1 working day a week on the golf course and the wife is with her friends and family during the days. It would take me another 20 years (at least) in the UK to get what we have now, and I wasn't prepared to wait.

We kept our house in the UK, so have a bolt hole when / if things go Pete Tong but I'm an optimist. I really think it will be ok. When I stop posting, you'll know I got capped at the robots and you can all laugh and point at my childish / blinkered / niaive thinking. Until then, I am loving life and happier than I have been in a long time.

Or maybe it's just Friday.
Interesting, I too would rather be on the golf course.

So where were you before the UK ?
Old May 25th 2007, 12:06 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells

Birth - 1997, UK (grey London)

1997 - 2001 - SA

2001 - 2007 UK

2007 - death (2008/9??) - SA

Playing tomorrow. Need to go and buy some balls - I hear there is a small pond on the course I'm playing at, and there will be one of those pesky "Ed's ball magnets" at the bottom of it. There's lots of 'em about.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:07 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=ededed;4829927][QUOTE=Kitten24;4829908]I envy you Ededed. Sounds like you and your wife are living the good life.

Yup, I'm Richard Briers and she's Felicity Kendall.

(I bet there are some Saffa's who won't have a clue what that's a reference to!)

Thanks Kitten - I think so too.
What a brilliant show I bought the DVD of the first series.

Hey, now I understand the survival mode in the power cuts

You’ll be into the home-brew next.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:08 pm

Actually born in Scotland - but don't tell anyone.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:10 pm

[QUOTE=Campbells;4829953][QUOTE=ededed;4829927]
Originally Posted by Kitten24
I envy you Ededed. Sounds like you and your wife are living the good life.

What a brilliant show I bought the DVD of the first series.

Hey, now I understand the survival mode in the power cuts

You’ll be into the home-brew next.
Good idea - and it will certainly be better than Castle! (cue a million messages about how wonderful that gnat's pee is!)
Old May 25th 2007, 12:15 pm
Banned

Actually born in Scotland - but don't tell anyone.
'nother sweaty sock
Old May 25th 2007, 12:16 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea - and it will certainly be better than Castle! (cue a million messages about how wonderful that gnat's pee is!)
Personally I've never drank gnats pee so I can't form a proper comparison.

I'm not a big beer drinker though, unless it's in a shandy.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:17 pm

'nother sweaty sock
A Fifer too - the worst kind I hear....!
Old May 25th 2007, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Personally I've never drank gnats pee so I can't form a proper comparison.

I'm not a big beer drinker though, unless it's in a shandy.
Castle IS shandy.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:18 pm

'nother sweaty sock
By the way - congrats on your 1,000th post! Do you get a watch?
Old May 25th 2007, 12:25 pm
Banned

Castle IS shandy.

Any beer that is chemically matured is not worth drinking.

Grolsch - on tap now that's nice

Warsteiner - on tap - oh man ..........

Leffe Blonde - slides down & kicks

Boddingtons - the best beer you can get in a tin.

Kingfisher is nice
Old May 25th 2007, 12:29 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on your 1000th post, Campbell!!
Old May 25th 2007, 12:30 pm

Any beer that is chemically matured is not worth drinking.

Grolsch - on tap now that's nice

Warsteiner - on tap - oh man ..........

Leffe Blonde - slides down & kicks

Boddingtons - the best beer you can get in a tin.

Kingfisher is nice
Boddingtons! Now you are talking. Or Guinness draft - ice cold. (cue Homer drool)

Thirsty now.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:30 pm
Banned

By the way - congrats on your 1,000th post! Do you get a watch?
1001 now, just like a dalmation. Time to change the stripes to dots/

No watch, maybe a wave from the mods..

( bit of quadriphinia there) ........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.