British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   Are taxi's safe in RSA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/taxis-safe-rsa-537685/)

ForeignGal May 20th 2008 2:57 pm

Are taxi's safe in RSA?

I need to get from Durban to Hilton College which is approximately 105km away. Is it better for me to hire a cab which will cost about £100 al in or should we hire a car? We can hire a Mercedes for £30, but how easy is it to drive in RSA? Most of the route is on the N3 to Pietermaritzburg - is this a safe road or does everyone drive like nutters? Last question - are the cab drivers mainly black or white? Here are the directions to the school, would you drive or get a cab? Thanks for putting up with me this week:o, and thanks for all your posts.:)

If you are travelling from Durban:

Follow the N3 through Pietermaritzburg, and up the hill on the other side.
At the top of the hill, take the Hilton Offramp.
Follow the sign to Hilton College by turning to the Right over the N3.
Keep going on the Hilton College Road 6km until you get to the school gates.

Pablo May 20th 2008 3:08 pm

Re: Are taxi's safe in RSA?

Hire a car.

ForeignGal May 20th 2008 3:15 pm

Pablo, I really, really appreciate your posts:D but please could you expand and let me know why a car is any better and how safe te roads are and if much road rage/ tail-gating goes on because I expect my hubby will drive way under the speed limit and annoy everyone!:unsure:

Tegwyn May 20th 2008 3:22 pm

Absolutely hire a car. You are completely powerless if the taxi driver has malicious intent. I really don't think you comprehend just exactly how dangerous the country has become. :( Good luck on your travels.

ForeignGal May 20th 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks Tegwyn - what are the driving conditions like?

Pablo May 20th 2008 3:29 pm

FG, when people ask, "Are the roads safe?" I just wonder what constitutes an adequate answer. Are any roads safe? My answer for South Africa is "quite safe". ok? The motorways aren't too bad. People do speed more than the UK, and you need to bear in mind that people overtake on the inside when driving on motorways. I have driven the road you mention. It's straightforward enough. Get a good roadmap. You're not likely to be shot dead as you drive,and on such a route you're not likely to get lost. As I expect you know, people drive on the same side as in the UK (usually!). Seriously, if you want risk-free, don't go. If you are prepared to accept what I would call normal risk (whatever that is for SA) then you're ok hiring a car. I would. You ask about road rage. That usually takes two, and anyway is unlikely. So stop fretting.

In Africa shit happens. You don't like that, then don't go. But to recap. It's a straightforward route. A hire-car will give you flexibility, and it's far less confusing than, say, hiring a car in Italy.

... Also, if you're going anytime soon, keep a careful eye on how these riots develop. You don't want the highways blocked with axe-wielding stone-throwing rioters. That isn't happening now, as far as I can tell, but it has happened in the past - often - and these things have a habit of flaring up suddenly.

Daxk May 20th 2008 3:54 pm

FG,Know those roads well,hire a car,average speed is about 140k/hour, whatever the traffic flow is,Roads are well signposted. do not drive after dark,although Dbn area is "Comparitively" Safer you have less chance of ending uplost in a bad place

small rules we take for granted.
Doors locked,windows up(Get aircon)
drive at the same speed as the majority of the traffic,
valuables,cheap watch, no jewellry,rings,lockets etc,
get certified copies of your passports and get an international drivers licence from the AA.
If you see an accident or what looks to be a pedestrian thats been run over, do NOT stop. If a stone hits your windows or windscreen, do NOT stop.
If a car with blue flashing lights but no signwriting tells you to pullover ,put the hazards on and drive to a busy garage(lots of on freeway petrol stations,)or a Police Sation
do not stop till then.
If a car bumps your bumper, do NOT stop,go to garage or Police station
In Traffic,always stop with enough space in front of you to pull around the car in front.
you will notice all other drivers constantly doing what we call a 360, check your rear view and side mirrors constantly, especially when stopped.
If you see that you have drawn attention,leave, they are not looking at you because they think you are pretty..
Do not walk and talk on your mobile, especially on the Beachfront,the bag snatchers there are 10-12 year olds

I know it sounds paranoid, there is'nt a person on this board who has lived in recent SA who wont agree with the above.
take care, it is a beautiful country, Natal is great,Warm and humid even in Winter

if you do get into trouble, do not resist, give them what they want and stay calm.

ForeignGal May 20th 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks Pablo, and I will definetly keep abreast of the riot situation. I'm off in a couple of weeks, so here's hoping we get enough info to either rule out schools in RSA or go for it when we're out there.:)

ForeignGal May 20th 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks Daxk - I really appreciate this, and wouldn't have thought about it, apart from its a long time since anyone stared at me because I was pretty.:rofl:

Daxk May 20th 2008 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by ForeignGal (Post 6371362)
Thanks Daxk - I really appreciate this, and wouldn't have thought about it, apart from its a long time since anyone stared at me because I was pretty.:rofl:

If they think they can get away with it ,80 year old grandmothers and two year old children are pretty enough.
It IS a dangerous place.

AudsFrmSA May 20th 2008 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Daxk (Post 6371497)
If they think they can get away with it ,80 year old grandmothers and two year old children are pretty enough.
It IS a dangerous place.

Totally agree with Daxk and Pablo's advice, and to just add...while driving, keep your handbag out of site of the many hawkers that stand at the robots (traffic lights), there is some of them that will not hesitate to 'smash and grab'. Good Luck

shiftdelete May 20th 2008 7:06 pm

gotta love Daxk's charm....you should ditch the merc- hire a 'normal' car- far less attractive, the car I mean ;)

Originally Posted by ForeignGal (Post 6371362)

Daxk May 20th 2008 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 6372051)
gotta love Daxk's charm....you should ditch the merc- hire a 'normal' car- far less attractive, the car I mean ;)

Why thank you, shiftdelete, did'nt realise Avis did Saracens??
Did'nt want Foreign Girl thinking I was after her body or anything,unlike some of the hanky panky I see here sometimes,

ForeignGal May 20th 2008 7:22 pm

You're NOT ater my body:(

Daxk May 20th 2008 7:30 pm

FG!!! SHush!! this lot are the most incestuous lot of gossips you can find!!
did not want them to know.

Btw, how DO you feel about old age creeping up on you?