Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

'Sunset curfew' in suburbs

'Sunset curfew' in suburbs

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:39 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default 'Sunset curfew' in suburbs

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...139615,00.html

Johannesburg - Prepare yourselves for a shock when police release their annual crime statistics later this week.

That's the warning from experts Johan Burger and Hennie van Rooyen.

Burger, a senior researcher at the Institute for Security Studies, says indications are that there has been a "drastic" increase in the number of robberies at private homes.

There were 40 house robberies within two weeks in Witbank recently.

Senior police sources say there has been an increase of up to 50% in the number of house robberies in some places. This includes Nelspruit and Secunda.

Rapport says in some towns in KwaZulu-Natal house robberies have doubled.

Van Rooyen, a legal practitioner who trains detectives in South Africa and abroad, has labelled it a crisis, because people are no longer safe in their homes - which already resemble prisons.

"Sundown is curfew time for law-abiding citizens. You remain indoors. Even this is no longer safe," Van Rooyen said.

Percentages can be misleading though, says deputy National Police Commissioner André Pruis.

"It does not necessarily indicate a crisis if there has been 100% increase in one crime category
Puts paid to the theory that crime is coming down, doesn't it?
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:46 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Sunset curfew' in suburbs

Yup,yup! Houston, we have a problem....http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...1554823C968600
Then it is broken down into categories. Murder rates are up, but attempted murder rates are down! So, in essence a higher success rate at knocking off the victim has been achieved. Aggravated robbery increased whilst common robbery decreased. I gather it is more than your worldly goods they're after. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...2146621C249020 Those of us that know how armed response companies work will tell you that these crime rates are under reported anyway, as much of the work the police departments are supposed to be doing is left to the private sector to cope with. Let's just say that the police department's record keeping is not one of their strengths.

Last edited by Tegwyn; Jul 3rd 2007 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:14 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

They average that about 32% of crimes go unreported. It's probably higher. Here's food for thought eh. 100, 000 people murdered, 270,000 raped and 1.3 million seriously assaulted, in the last five years.
More than a million robberies were committed and nearly 450 000 cars stolen. Two of those belonging to family members. http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx...ews__national/ All mere statistics until it happens to you or yours.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
They average that about 32% of crimes go unreported. It's probably higher. Here's food for thought eh. 100, 000 people murdered, 270,000 raped and 1.3 million seriously assaulted, in the last five years.
More than a million robberies were committed and nearly 450 000 cars stolen. Two of those belonging to family members. http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx...ews__national/ All mere statistics until it happens to you or yours.
Well I feel quite safe and I apparently live in the most violent and dangerous province in the country.
Of my family here, there has been one break-in and burglary in the last 12 months. Of my family back in the UK, there has been the same.

While the statistics aren't good, I still think that there's really no need for the overactive paranoia that some people seem to have.

Oh - and I regularly walk in my suburb after dark (and no, I don't have a big dog with me).
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes 6000, I used to do the same.
They just were'nt being careful enough.
If you have enough security and be aware of whats going on around you etc, knew my neighbours, Blockwatch, CPF etc ,it was just plain carelessness and people did'nt want to spend the money ,
Then one night at 9 pm in my driveway ,the next few hours in my house,5 year old being taught forever that if she is'nt good her mommy and daddy will die..
But what the hell,happens to everyone, we were lucky, all alive, no one raped etc, whats the fuss.
besides they caught them , did'nt they.

two weeks later, Sunday morning,in my driveway, they were there, 3 of them, hooting and waving, just to let me know they knew where I lived in case I was thinking of testifying.
Their bail was R100 each.

Nedbank ad said it well... " makes you think, does'nt it"
I choose to live somewhere wetter, colder and where the chances of harm befalling my wife and daughter are a lot less.
Enjoy your life ,may it be safe forever ,mine now is.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daxk
I choose to live somewhere wetter, colder and where the chances of harm befalling my wife and daughter are a lot less.
Enjoy your life ,may it be safe forever ,mine now is.
As is your choice. Every country has pros and cons, be it weather, safety, money, whatever.

But my argument is not with people like you, my argument is with people saying that crime is ubiquitous, directly affecting anyone and everyone in South Africa. That's absolutely not true.
There is this perception being touted on here that if you live in this country or visit it as a tourist, you will be raped or killed. It's simply not the case.
Closer analysis of the recently released crime stats will show you that crime - especially violent crime - is highly localised. Avoid those areas, as you would with any dodgy areas anywhere in the world and suddenly, the stats look a lot more appealing.

Last edited by 6000; Jul 4th 2007 at 9:55 am.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:55 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by 6000
As is your choice. Every country has pros and cons, be it weather, safety, money, whatever.

But my argument is not with people like you, my argument is with people saying that crime is ubiquitous, directly affecting anyone and everyone in South Africa. That's absolutely not true.
There is this perception being touted on here that if you live in this country or visit it as a tourist, you will be raped or killed. It's simply not the case.

Closer analysis of the recently released crime stats will show you that crime - especially violent crime - is highly localised.
How is it highly localised? It encompasses people from all over the country.

We are not saying that everyone will be attacked. But the dangers, especially for First World tourists who are not used to dealing with the type of alertness you need, is real. It can strike from the lowliest shack in the Cape to a five star hotel's dining room. Most First World countries have well-known no-go areas. Unfortunately, South Africa is one entire no-go area. You are at risk wherever you are.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:02 am
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

While the statistics aren't good, I still think that there's really no need for the overactive paranoia that some people seem to have.
If you read the article you'll find you're cheerfully dismissing the views of the Institute for Security Studies. You're confident.

When I was back in the UK recently my brother reminded me of the sort of things I was saying when he visited me after I'd been here a couple of years. I sounded very much like you. I've been there, I was gung-ho, I had a peppy attitude and a lot of trust that things would come right.

But now, ten years later, the statistics are the same, the excuses are the same, the promises of action sound more hollow than ever, and I find people of all races are much more despondent and despairing of the future than they were when I arrived. Don't worry, the 'overactive paranoia' will catch up with you if you've got the nerve to stick it out that long!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

[F is your choice. Every country has pros and cons, be it weather, safety, money, whatever.[/FONT]

[F my argument is not with people like you, my argument is with people saying that crime is ubiquitous, directly affecting anyone and everyone in South Africa. That's absolutely not true. [/FONT]
[F is this perception being touted on here that if you live in this country or visit it as a tourist, you will be raped or killed. It's simply not the case. [/FONT]
[F analysis of the recently released crime stats will show you that crime - especially violent crime - is highly localised. Avoid those areas, as you would with any dodgy areas anywhere in the world and suddenly, the stats look a lot more appealing.[/FONT]
Aaaah 6000, A large majority of the so-called bitter ex-pats on here left because of crime so there are a lot of people just like me.

Crime, or the fear of crime IS directly affecting anyone and everyone in SA ,wether it is the gardener ,the factory worker and it's affecting the poor working stiffs even more.

However, the skills who are leaving because of crime are not living in or visiting your dodgy area's, and a closer analysis of the stats says that the 6% increase in hi-jackings and the 25% increase in Home invasions/robberies are happening in the middle income and up suburbs.
More than likely, they're even higher in the Guguletu's,Soweto's and alexandria's but they dont get reported, I quote" The Police never came before, why should they come now?"

A tourist arriving ,uninformed ,unwarned, is like a chicken looking for a lunch with Col Saunders,and if they do so, their choice.

Besides, do you think Uncle Charles's recent about face regarding crime
was because he disagreed with Thabo saying crime is merely a white perception?
Enjoy CT, it is a beautiful place.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
How is it highly localised? It encompasses people from all over the country.
There were 2 murders in Wynberg last year, for example, compared to 302 in Nyanga. That's what I mean by localised.

I have the WC stats in front of me here.
60 murders per 100,000 population last year.
BUT - take out just one policing zone (Nyanga) and that drops to 45/100,000. Take out Gugs and it drops to 29/100,000.

And that's just two areas.
Start looking at the areas with the lower rates (like Wynberg/Southern subs/CBD) - where the tourists are more likely to be and the murder rate is comparable to that in - *gasp* - the UK!

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
We are not saying that everyone will be attacked. But the dangers, especially for First World tourists who are not used to dealing with the type of alertness you need, is real. It can strike from the lowliest shack in the Cape to a five star hotel's dining room. Most First World countries have well-known no-go areas. Unfortunately, South Africa is one entire no-go area. You are at risk wherever you are.
You are at risk wherever you go anywhere in the world. Doesn't mean you have to be paranoid, hysterical, dramatic; just cautious.
Now - I'm off to Khayelitsha (yes, seriously) but I fully intend to be back in one piece a little later on.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Now - I'm off to Khayelitsha (yes, seriously) but I fully intend to be back in one piece a little later on.
I don't think people who get murdered or raped intend to get murdered or raped. I think they fully intend not to, just like you.

But quite apart from that, are you saying that if you exclude the non-white areas of Cape Town, then crime is not a problem?

Pablo
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pablo
But quite apart from that, are you saying that if you exclude the non-white areas of Cape Town, then crime is not a problem?

Pablo
No Pablo. I didn't say that and I didn't divide areas on basis of race, merely on the numbers in front of me here and the places where tourists are more likely to be.
The murder rate for central Cape Town is comparable with that of Helsinki, Lisbon and Amsterdam. It is less than a quarter of that in Washington DC, it is lower than that of New York, Chicago, Dallas, LA.
But I don't see these same stories all over those cities forums on this site.
Why is that?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

No Pablo. I didn't say that and I didn't divide areas on basis of race, merely on the numbers in front of me here and the places where tourists are more likely to be.
The murder rate for central Cape Town is comparable with that of Helsinki, Lisbon and Amsterdam. It is less than a quarter of that in Washington DC, it is lower than that of New York, Chicago, Dallas, LA.
But I don't see these same stories all over those cities forums on this site.
Why is that?
I can only speculate why you haven't come across crime stories in those cities, since, by your own admission, they occur. Do you think they are reported and you haven't seen the reports? Or do you think they're not reported?

Isn't it somewhat artificial to compare "central Cape Town" with "New York"?

Pablo
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:12 am
Account Closed

the numbers in front of me here and the places where tourists are more likely to be.
Ho hum, from last year -

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...0247113C902261
"Norwich Union, an insurance company in the United Kingdom, undertook a survey based on their clients' travel insurance claims and found South Africa to be at the top of the list of countries for serious crime.

"The survey said travellers to South Africa were the most likely to suffer violent robberies or lose their belongings in transit. South Africa has been earmarked as the country where tourists' luggage goes missing most often and where the most crimes take place. South Africa was also high on the list for food poisoning and road accidents."
Food poisoning? I have to admit that one surprises me.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Not staying overnight then?

But the fact that you drop this little item in seems to imply that those of us concerned about crime would shriek with horror at the very idea of going into a township or squatter area. Not necessarily so. This is one country, how can the crime in Nyanga not be something that someone in the Southern Suburbs should be concerned about?

Last edited by whalewatcher; Jul 4th 2007 at 11:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.