Sudan

Old May 14th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sudan

Originally Posted by Daxk
JR
"Are you generalizing about me generalizing?"
No, Commenting on how people I have come to know on a one to one basis has saved me from making sweeping generalisations,

"Most disabled black miners receive compensation payments that are lower than poverty datum levels and high rates of inflation rapidly erode their real value. Since many black workers are repatriated after a disabling accident, the issue of employment becomes crucial. The problems highlighted suggest that compensation legislation requires reform to ameliorate the difficulties faced by disabled black miners and recommendations are made."

All South African Disablement and old age Pensions fall below the poverty datum line.
I mentioned that I helped set up bank accounts for some of the widows in Mocambique.
(Only because I understood English better than my friend the Bank manager
and the conditions were usually in English.) Well done.

Purely as an aside and still relevant at my last 6 week Holiday in 2004,
Mocambican cost of living was noticeably lower than South African ones, not that I am defending, I very much doubt that 20 year old pensions had increased by much.
But,if I were living on a meagre pittance,I'd rather do it in Inhambane province than Gauteng anyday.

Yebo...I am with you on that one!!!!

The undying excitement of youth. I hope they found whatever it was they were looking for.
They seemed to die as well as the next man.

As you no doubt know, ‘RENAMO et al’ stole/steal both genders and used them for very different purposes. My wife has a female cousin who was seized in a RENAMO raid on Xinavane during 1983, she was 11, repeatedly raped, and used as a porter. She survived and came back with 3 children. We can only imagine what she was subjected to.

No where did I state that it was only males,in fact the ones they left for me were mostly female, they beaten the kindergarten to death on the first night.

And your previous comment was that because SA and Rhodesia had supported RENAMO with material and training, they were somehow at fault.?

The argument can be well led that RENAMO would not have been, if it were not for what Rhodesia commenced and SA continued with.

Does that somehow put the Soviet Bloc,China, Libya, Cuba on a higher moral ground as the sides they supported in all conflicts in Africa did (and still do) abduct and indoctrinate Children, boys and girls, the girls obviously have more value than the boys.
Rape has happened as a course of war since time immemorial, its terrible,inhumane and you have as much hope of stopping it as the pope has of stopping a Saturday Night Bonk before marriage.

(As an aside,I am rather glad a Prussian soldier raped an Austrian girl in 1724,
I've rather enjoyed living and being or is that just finding a silver lining to a dark cloud) we can pity the girl but, applaud the result.

Salud.
(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 14th 2009 at 10:31 pm. Reason: Sorry, English language only
Old May 14th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El_Chango
Do any of you think the new conscription law (military service alternative) in Mozambique will indeed be abused to funnel discounted labour to mines and agribusiness there? I think I understand the scepticism.
El Chango, I was involved in a think tank group on future trends that led to some proposals to minimse the effects of unemployment and potential unrest as a result of it.
Although JR and his wife will be more current the previous scenario was that
the Mocambican population have a high work ethic , are intelligent and resourceful.
(I'm not going to tell which other Tribes/Nationalities we compared to)
In the Rural area as an example, you will seldom see litter , it will get picked up and a use found for it.
The huts and the areas around them are usually clean and well tended.
And most importantly, they take pride in their work.

As an example, the Cashew Nut Factory at Joa Belo (Now called Xai-Xai affter the nearby Tourist Beach) was bought by Anglo American in around 1970, after 1976 it was basically closed down, the satff were told to go home and there redunduncy pay would be paid into their bank accounts at the little bank in town.
However, someone in the payroll department slipped up and never cancelled the monthly stoporders, it was realised before the next audit and someone covered their tracks as classifying it as payment for a caretaker and security.
it was actually only about 10 people so it went through year after year after year until it was picked up in 1996.
So they sent down three guys in 4x4 from Head office to look and see what was going on.(fishing rods in the back just in case)
Arrived at the factory in a suprise visit , which was very neat,garden tended, broken windows boarded over, went inside, place was clean,swept and it was obvious it had'nt been done in a hurry.
Of the original 10, 6 were still alive and at work,
every day, since 1976, the time clock was broken so they signed in on old school books neatly ruled.
Because they had been paid.
They had been oiling and turning the machinery by hand to maintain it. starting it sometimes with diesel they pooled for.
1 month later, the factory was in full production.
Excuse he digression, but thats the type of people they are.

As to the think tank, we suggested the establishment of labour battalions where the unemployed would be clothed, fed and employed on Civil projects,fixing roads, building dams , the majority rural population are able,because of the climate, to live in reed or Whattle and daub structures, apart from where the korean Trawlers have chain dragged the reefs, there is still fish, a fair bit of the ground is still fertile so again, I have never seen anyone actually starving in Mocambique. (Compared to Ethiopia /Sudan/Cameroons) and as Tourism is the major Cash Cow (gas finds are still too marginal to fully exploit) the roads need to be maintained.

This Conscription may form part of it as I know the Cyclones have affected food production or there may well be some threat growing either internally or from South Africa who have Federation dreams.
Would be Ironic that the ANC would fulfill Cecil John Rhodes's dream.
Old May 14th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 14th 2009 at 10:32 pm. Reason: Sorry, english language posts only allowed
Old May 15th 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

El_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant future

Man that would be ironic. I love that story about the cashew plant, so no digression apologies necessary. Bless those guys. I wonder, if tourism is a big deal for Moc, is the security factor better that SA? Small kids in tow? Or fogetaboutit?!!

I'm also jealous of y'alls portuguese; it is such a beautiful language. My brother got to spend a couple of years down in Brazil; along with learning the language, he brought back CDs of popular musicians like Chico Buarque, Leila Pinero, Marina Lima etc... we loved them. It's like a mixture of french and russian ( for me ).

Re your pursuit of those who abducted those children; indulge me in a moment of virtual catharsis and tell me you sent some to reckon with their Creator. Destiny called me to put down only two men in my lifetime for sure; a duty from which I shrank, for reasons like "well, I cannot raise my family from inside prison" or plain cowardice or some other well thought out justification for inaction. The poison a man carries in his gut for not doing his duty in this regard is incredible, I know. Anyway, I got to see them roam about, poisoning other people's existence until the "law" (slow and as morally lazy as myself) caught up with them. Now I'm digressing, sorry.
Old May 15th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately, not in that instance.
Old May 15th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

El Chango,my impression was that once you got 2 hours past Maputo it was safer as the locals dont want to rock the boat re the Tourists.
My Brother surfed Tofo 3 months ago and 4 friends did the 1000km tour to Vilanculos and back on Motorbikes last month.
The campsites have razor wire and usually an armed guard and the same caveat applies to driving around at night.
So, No its not totally safe, but I would take my daughter there rather than Durbans Beachfront or Natals Coastline any day.

Another story, I have the photo here somewhere, there is a locomotive at the Inharrime Railway Station.
There are no longer railway tracks leading into or out of the Railway Station.
But the driver who signed for the Locomotive in 1974 lives in a shack he has built next to the locomotive because he signed for it, the tracks got blown up at the end of the War and as he could'nt get it back, he stayed with it .
Love that place and those people.
Old May 15th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Daxk
El Chango,my impression was that once you got 2 hours past Maputo it was safer as the locals dont want to rock the boat re the Tourists.
My Brother surfed Tofo 3 months ago and 4 friends did the 1000km tour to Vilanculos and back on Motorbikes last month.
The campsites have razor wire and usually an armed guard and the same caveat applies to driving around at night.
So, No its not totally safe, but I would take my daughter there rather than Durbans Beachfront or Natals Coastline any day.

Another story, I have the photo here somewhere, there is a locomotive at the Inharrime Railway Station.
There are no longer railway tracks leading into or out of the Railway Station.
But the driver who signed for the Locomotive in 1974 lives in a shack he has built next to the locomotive because he signed for it, the tracks got blown up at the end of the War and as he could'nt get it back, he stayed with it .
Love that place and those people.
Daxk, great stories, I am really enjoying your accounts and relating them to where I've been and seen. They certainly resonate. I have seen the cashew (caju) factory at Xai-Xai and the train at Inharrime. Saw the same attitude and effect at Magude with the bridgekeeper...the bridge is a combination rail/road/pedestrian bridge over the Incomati River. The traffic and pedestrians need to be controlled when trains cross it. That man's hut is pristine, all the controls polished. I totally agree with your comments about their work ethic etc.

Safety in Moz? Yes, there is theft...there have been carjackings, there are armed holdups, house breakins etc etc...have I ever felt threatened?....yes, one day. Some blokes (is that a foreign language word?) stopped me on a fairly lonely street one night....they were Mozambican...they tried English on me...I replied in Shangaan...and then spoke to them in Portuguese...made them laugh...we laughed together..and that was all...and we parted on Shangaan. Other than that one event and, the usual thing of the Policia trying to sell you 'tickets to the Policeman's Ball', I have never been, or felt, threatened in Mozambique. South Africa has been different. To me, there was a different 'tension' in South Africa. Every time I used to drive back into Mozambique I felt as if the 'tension' had lifted in an almost palpable way. I don't know whether you do/might've felt the same way?

I would enjoy hearing more of your views/insights, especially from that 'think tank group on future trends'.

Cheers, JR
Old May 15th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you JR,
Yes, I too have never felt threatened in Mocambique,Maputo I was never comfortable, but we had an incident where a motor was stolen off the Dinghy at Pandane in 2004.
The thief was found by the locals, beaten within inches of his life and the motor returned. I too know of a few hijackings but they were all at night, returning from the pub through the lonely bits.

I have asked that my ashes one day be scattered on the hill at Tofo and that I think gives an indication.