Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

Originally Posted by jdr
The only way that was selective was to show the fact that it was you with the abusive reply to my original question.
Then our opinions on this clearly differ.

PS. did you look up what trolling means ?
Yes. It's pretty obvious what you're doing. And I suspect I am making a mistake by encouraging you.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:17 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Oy to be fair, I've known jdr for quite a while and he's a fairly stand up fella.

jdr, this is probably the most contentious forum on this board for a good reason. Living in S.A. is a matter of facing life and death situations on a daily basis, something you and the other Brits, etc, who enquire about S.A. are not aware of and will just not understand. I truly mean LIFE AND DEATH.

If you want to genuinely find out why it is so, and by the way, this one is fairly tame compared to most S.A. forums on the net, I can point you to a couple and you won't believe just how bad they are, then we'll be glad to point you to the sources. The reason for the strife is that that South Africa is a country involved in a de-facto civil war - it is just not being labeled as such. Did you read past my stats about there being an estimated 30k murders a year over there - with probably 29k of those being unsolved and when the murderers are caught, they're let out of jail or escape to go and do it again, as opposed to 700 in the UK where most are probably caught and serving time in jail.

You should read some of the threads about crime in the place with the links to the papers which we provide. We do not make these things up. It is well-known to any who spend any time researching it.

Problem is that the government does not want to lose revenue from expats who move there, and have this huge campaign going called the 'Homecoming Revolution'. They troll the various fora across the web, posting about how safe it is in S.A. and that life there is grand, move there, the papers exaggerate, etc....when we who are South AFricans and lived there for decades, only leaving recently for the most part, know what utter bollocks it is and that there is a huge S.A. diaspora taking place, with S.A. having lost and losing the majority of their skilled folk to other countries. It is a very real situation. It pays to be very informed of what you might be facing if you move there. It isn't the Algarve or the Costa del Sol. In addition to personal safety issues, there is the issue of the economy which is tanking in a big way. You move there, invest all your capital in a house, and you will probably lose it all soon and be destitute upon your return to the UK.

I spent most of my life in Zimbabwe, and some years in S.AFrica and see the very same thing taking place in S.A. as it did in Zimbabwe.

We are not scare-mongers. We offer informed advice and opinion. But when someone comes on and offers up bulldust, when we know better, they are confronted with it.

Last edited by Redlippie; Dec 27th 2007 at 5:26 pm. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Then our opinions on this clearly differ.

Yes. It's pretty obvious what you're doing. And I suspect I am making a mistake by encouraging you.
I am just trying to make you realize that your reply to my first post was a little hostile, but perhaps its just a bad habit you have and don`t even know that you do it.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
...but perhaps its just a bad habit you have and don`t even know that you do it.
On you go, snipe, snipe, snipe. I suggest you look to the beam in your own eye before worrying about the mote in mine.

Noted, Redlippie. Enough said.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Oy to be fair, I've known jdr for quite a while and he's a fairly stand up fella.

jdr, this is probably the most contentious forum on this board for a good reason. Living in S.A. is a matter of facing life and death situations on a daily basis, something you and the other Brits, etc, who enquire about S.A. are not aware of and will just not understand. I truly mean LIFE AND DEATH.

If you want to genuinely find out why it is so, and by the way, this one is fairly tame compared to most S.A. forums on the net, I can point you to a couple and you won't believe just how bad they are, then we'll be glad to point you to the sources. The reason for the strife is that that South Africa is a country involved in a de-facto civil war - it is just not being labeled as such. Did you read past my stats about there being an estimated 30k murders a year over there - with probably 29k of those being unsolved and when the murderers are caught, they're let out of jail or escape to go and do it again, as opposed to 700 in the UK where most are probably caught and serving time in jail.

You should read some of the threads about crime in the place with the links to the papers which we provide. We do not make these things up. It is well-known to any who spend any time researching it.

Problem is that the government does not want to lose revenue from expats who move there, and have this huge campaign going called the 'Homecoming Revolution'. They troll the various fora across the web, posting about how safe it is in S.A. and that life there is grand, move there, the papers exaggerate, etc....when we who are South AFricans and lived there for decades, only leaving recently for the most part, know what utter bollocks it is and that there is a huge S.A. diaspora taking place, with S.A. having lost and losing the majority of their skilled folk to other countries. It is a very real situation. It pays to be very informed of what you might be facing if you move there. It isn't the Algarve or the Costa del Sol. In addition to personal safety issues, there is the issue of the economy which is tanking in a big way. You move there, invest all your capital in a house, and you will probably lose it all soon and be destitute upon your return to the UK.

I spent most of my life in Zimbabwe, and some years in S.AFrica and see the very same thing taking place in S.A. as it did in Zimbabwe.

We are not scare-mongers. We offer informed advice and opinion. But when someone comes on and offers up bulldust, when we know better, they are confronted with it.
Thanks for the reply RL, I appreciate the content and the way it was delivered. ;-)
If you pm me the links a will have a look when i get a chance.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:47 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sue
Moderators are also members and are entitled to their own opinions.

The SA forum is not a "clone" of anywhere, nor does it aim to be. All we ask is that members treat each other and their experiences with respect. I think what jdr is trying to surmise is why sometimes new members are jumped on straight away if they have a good experience of SA. It hardly makes the SA forum look welcoming and open to discussion, whether sharing good or bad experiences, does it.
When another member did what you have just done it was it was referred to as “back up” by your moderator.

Now we have two moderators on the thread offering personal opinions and backing up each others objective.

I believe Sue you are one of the co owners of the site.

Read earlier in the post what Dakx posted offering to open up a Skype with your moderator I can sense the emotion and if you read his reply you will understand that any man having his wife and children dragged into the bushes in a country where rape more than likely means contracting AIDS is no tourist attraction.

No one will understand the anger, sadness and what emotions the victims of these crimes and certainly not from someone that has never been to South Africa and prods people that have been exposed to such conditions with a “is it really happening” vibe.

Do you ( or anyone) really think that all these news sites just make up these stories so as to paint some negative picture of South Africa? Do you think that the South African government would let that happen ?

Having just read the introduction by 1066, can anyone that hasn’t lived in Africa imagine walking away from your home like that ? I don’t believe anyone can understand what it is in Africa that drives people to such drastic measures.

So really, at the risk of you throwing me off here, I don’t care, I am not going to sit back and watch people write a lot of tripe that have never even been there and then tell me I am aggressive.

I can not believe that the world was up in arms about apartheid ( which I believed was wrong) and now the slaughter that is happening in South Africa nobody wants to lift a finger.

I have no doubt that all that would change if it was your relation that was getting raped at four years old. The whole thing is just so sad and yes I get emotional about the subject.

I am British, my father fought the Japanese in WWII to protect his country , women & children . I am British and I believe that people should hear about the way it really is in South Africa before they get lured into moving there and making the biggest mistake of their lives.

Have a happy New Year
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:42 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
When another member did what you have just done it was it was referred to as “back up” by your moderator.

Now we have two moderators on the thread offering personal opinions and backing up each others objective.

I believe Sue you are one of the co owners of the site.

Read earlier in the post what Dakx posted offering to open up a Skype with your moderator I can sense the emotion and if you read his reply you will understand that any man having his wife and children dragged into the bushes in a country where rape more than likely means contracting AIDS is no tourist attraction.

No one will understand the anger, sadness and what emotions the victims of these crimes and certainly not from someone that has never been to South Africa and prods people that have been exposed to such conditions with a “is it really happening” vibe.

Do you ( or anyone) really think that all these news sites just make up these stories so as to paint some negative picture of South Africa? Do you think that the South African government would let that happen ?

Having just read the introduction by 1066, can anyone that hasn’t lived in Africa imagine walking away from your home like that ? I don’t believe anyone can understand what it is in Africa that drives people to such drastic measures.

So really, at the risk of you throwing me off here, I don’t care, I am not going to sit back and watch people write a lot of tripe that have never even been there and then tell me I am aggressive.

I can not believe that the world was up in arms about apartheid ( which I believed was wrong) and now the slaughter that is happening in South Africa nobody wants to lift a finger.

I have no doubt that all that would change if it was your relation that was getting raped at four years old. The whole thing is just so sad and yes I get emotional about the subject.

I am British, my father fought the Japanese in WWII to protect his country , women & children . I am British and I believe that people should hear about the way it really is in South Africa before they get lured into moving there and making the biggest mistake of their lives.

Have a happy New Year
I'm not backing up anyones objective. All I have ever asked and keep asking is that people treat each other with respect and that we don't jump down each other throats, nothing more.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Sleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Interesting thread this, I know nothing about SA, but reading the posts here leaves me to wonder how true all this is.
How many of you actually live there and how many are just reading all this in the papers or on websites.
Surely if it is as bad as portrayed nobody would live there ?
Hi JDR,

Let me share with you my personal experiences,... And i am one of the lucky ones!!

While living in SA I was held up at gunpoint twice... Sterio systems were stolen from my cars..many times

I owned a service station, which was robbed three times... I was only present on one occasion. The attendant working for me resigned after facing armed robbers twice in the space of eight days!! Can't say I blame him..

One of the other members of this forum who is a personal friend has car-jacked/highjacked at gunpoint... He also narrowly missed being caught in the crossfire of a gunfight that happenned in broad daylight!!

The fact that his one-year old son was with him at the time really disturbed him.

The AK47 assualt rifle is the "Credit Card of Choice" ... and the hoodlums motto is "Never leave home with out it.."

The society is so sick that AK47's can even be "rented" for a case of beer!! ... Bullets have to be paid for!!

Yesterday and article published on the BBC News Website estimated that 1,5 million women are raped in SA per annum..
This means over 4100 rapes per day,
one every 21 seconds!!

by the time you finnishe reading this 3 women will have been raped.

Assuming there are 22million women living in SA right now and each gets raped only once... in 15 years every woman living in SA will have been raped... going a little further overboard, the odds are more the even money that a woman living in SA runs the risk of being raped at least four times during her life time!! (Dies at age 60)

A recent newspaper article said that Interpol estimates muders in SA at over 40000 per annum
Twice the figure published by the South African police!!

My appologies for ranting!!

Sadly Its a society that spun out of control a long time ago and I fear, is only just beginning to pick up speed...

And on that melodramatic and rather emotional outburst, I wish you a truly magical and peaceful 2008.

Best wishes,
Michael

Last edited by Sleepwalker; Dec 27th 2007 at 11:53 pm. Reason: Correction of spellinK ;-)
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:54 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sleepwalker
The AK47 assualt rifle is the "Credit Card of Choice" ... and the hoodlums motto is "Never leave home with out it.."

The society is so sick that AK47's can even be "rented" for a case of beer!! ... Bullets have to be paid for!!
I've been called a liar more times than I care to remember when I've mentioned this online before, not here, but other places. You can pick one up for R50. No problem. What people don't realize is that there was an actual war fought against the Soviet Union and Cuba in the 80's by the South Africans, and that many of these guns have found their way into South Africa over the years.

We used to have friends who lived in Kibler Park in Joburg, if anyone knows the area, it was fairly isolated, and would often hear the AK47's shoot off at night when we visited them. Often.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:49 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Hi JDR,

Let me share with you my personal experiences,... And i am one of the lucky ones!!

While living in SA I was held up at gunpoint twice... Sterio systems were stolen from my cars..many times

I owned a service station, which was robbed three times... I was only present on one occasion. The attendant working for me resigned after facing armed robbers twice in the space of eight days!! Can't say I blame him..

One of the other members of this forum who is a personal friend has car-jacked/highjacked at gunpoint... He also narrowly missed being caught in the crossfire of a gunfight that happenned in broad daylight!!

The fact that his one-year old son was with him at the time really disturbed him.

Yesterday and article published on the BBC News Website estimated that 1,5 million women are raped in SA per annum..
one every 21 seconds!!

Assuming there are 22million women living in SA right now and each gets raped only once... in 15 years every woman living in SA will have been raped... going a little further overboard, the odds are more the even money that a woman living in SA runs the risk of being raped at least four times during her life time!! (Dies at age 60)

A recent newspaper article said that Interpol estimates muders in SA at over 40000 per annum

Sadly Its a society that spun out of control a long time ago and I fear, is only just beginning to pick up speed...

And on that melodramatic and rather emotional outburst, I wish you a truly magical and peaceful 2008.

Best wishes,
Michael
Thank you for the input of your personal experiences, much appreciated.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:54 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Hi JDR,

one every 21 seconds!!

Best wishes,
Michael
Talking of rape, can you belive that females are getting raped at the Durban beachfront pool, next to Joe Cools and Cattlemans.

I mean please, Durban was in the SA headlines as being major tourist attraction.

It may sound weird ( actauuly more like horror stories) to folk reading this in other countries, check it out

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=799252

I guess they are just following the example of the future president ( JZ).
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:11 am
Banned

Someone mentioned earlier the possibilities of folk being subjected to crime, here’s one example of one particular family living in Glen Austin in Midrand.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...2621679C806523

Read what this family has been through – absolute madness.

My brother used to live in President Park years back before the squatter camp arrived and they had no problems.

If I remember correctly Dakx is from Midrand?

I think what is interesting with this family is that they have spoken out against the police and their sheer lack of, what can I say – anything!

Read the comments

The police have not even followed up on an attempted murder like this. As I mentioned on a different thread, compare crime in SA to UK?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Campbells
Someone mentioned earlier the possibilities of folk being subjected to crime, here’s one example of one particular family living in Glen Austin in Midrand.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...2621679C806523

Read what this family has been through – absolute madness.

My brother used to live in President Park years back before the squatter camp arrived and they had no problems.

If I remember correctly Dakx is from Midrand?

I think what is interesting with this family is that they have spoken out against the police and their sheer lack of, what can I say – anything!

Read the comments

The police have not even followed up on an attempted murder like this. As I mentioned on a different thread, compare crime in SA to UK?
Oh Campbell, you will only be accused of lying, or making it up, or the newspapers fictionalising. I sometimes think you have to have been through it to be able to tell what the papers fictionalise and what they don't. How cossetted Western Europeans have become.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Yes , so some people manage to remove themselves from Africa , then they never stop going on , about all that's so bad there ! Shocking prevalence of murderous crime , rape , robbery etc being the daily norm , but NOT the only bad aspect of isolated materialistic existence , accompanied by much ignorance about the lifestyles in rest of the world , of those who can still manage such blessed sunny S.A. life ( financially and otherwise )...
I left Jo'burg in 1990 , didn't think Cape Town was an option ;
it is true , IMHO , that most white SethEffrikenz have not been welcomed with open arms in many places they tried to give their new lives a decent go .
Blame all the fashionable indoctrinations , like political correctness and twisted presentations of history , as still indulged in most of the world , where even Bob Mugabe is acceptable , so long his skin-colour is what is expected . And where Winnie may yet be globally welcome , as an elder statesman , hehehe ( sponsored by GoodYear ! ) , just such is the madness , which prevails ...and from which I don't expect that country to ever recover .
On the other hand , I know a good number of white South Africans who are affluent enough or otherwise : qualified highly enough , as to be able to relocate to safer parts of the world and yet they stay on , in S.A. , what with ( undisputable ) violent crime notwithstanding and all that jazz !
Who is to judge ? We have no threads on Brasil , Colombia , Sudan ...
I am aware of bunches of reasonably happy white SAffers in Oz and Canada ;
but then , such people don't visit and re-visit lonely Forae , tsk , tsk , tsk...
What would be The Point be ( of re-stating the bleedin' obvious )?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray51
Yes , so some people manage to remove themselves from Africa , then they never stop going on , about all that's so bad there ! Shocking prevalence of murderous crime , rape , robbery etc being the daily norm , but NOT the only bad aspect of isolated materialistic existence , accompanied by much ignorance about the lifestyles in rest of the world , of those who can still manage such blessed sunny S.A. life ( financially and otherwise )...
I left Jo'burg in 1990 , didn't think Cape Town was an option ;
it is true , IMHO , that most white SethEffrikenz have not been welcomed with open arms in many places they tried to give their new lives a decent go .
Blame all the fashionable indoctrinations , like political correctness and twisted presentations of history , as still indulged in most of the world , where even Bob Mugabe is acceptable , so long his skin-colour is what is expected . And where Winnie may yet be globally welcome , as an elder statesman , hehehe ( sponsored by GoodYear ! ) , just such is the madness , which prevails ...and from which I don't expect that country to ever recover .
On the other hand , I know a good number of white South Africans who are affluent enough or otherwise : qualified highly enough , as to be able to relocate to safer parts of the world and yet they stay on , in S.A. , what with ( undisputable ) violent crime notwithstanding and all that jazz !
Who is to judge ? We have no threads on Brasil , Colombia , Sudan ...
I am aware of bunches of reasonably happy white SAffers in Oz and Canada ;
but then , such people don't visit and re-visit lonely Forae , tsk , tsk , tsk...
What would be The Point be ( of re-stating the bleedin' obvious )?
Thanks for sharing that Ray

I'm not so sure the bleedin' obvious is that hence the content of this thread

Cheers and hope you are enjoying wherever you have settled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.