RSA Boarding Schools

Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RSA Boarding Schools

Sorry to hear that Daxk, my old man had bilharzia, up in Uganda, during the war. By all accounts not pleasant at all.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Stanley, this is one of those "Who Knows?" scenario's
She had the Cheetah Attack and the resultant infection,she had Bilharzia, she also had Tickbite fever this year which reduced her immune system even further, she suddenly starts vomiting and goes into Kidney Failure which leads into a stroke, and tonight there are reports that there are three dead(two from Zambia) with some sort of Viral?? on News24 but she had nil exposure?
anyway, thanks to all for the thoughts and prayers.
I understand the Doctors frustration , if you know whats wrong you can treat it, if you dont, you can only guess and use a chemical shotgun.
which can also kill the patient.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Daxk
I Think I posted on here that Africa has many interesting ways to try and kill you.
22 yo Neice is fighting for her life in ICU as the recurring Bilharzia allied with Tick Bite Fever caused her Kidneys to fail last Weds which caused a stroke.
For those who wish to, a prayer would be appreciated.

For those who have'nt lived there, you get tick bites from Hiking,mowing the lawn,Going for a walk, Bilharzia you get from Still water so no Swimming/Sking/Sailing on any of the Large Lakes or dams.
Hi Daxk,
Just wondering if there has been an improvement with your Niece? I do hope so.

There is some strange deadly virus doing it's rounds in SA after a woman from Zambia suddenly developed a high fever, headaches and a rash that spread over her body, she collapsed a few days later and was admitted to a Zambian hospital but nobody could figure out what was wrong with her, so she was flown to Morningside Medi-Clinic in Sandton, Johannesburg, two days later she was dead. Three weeks later, the paramedic from Lusaka who took care of this woman on the air ambulance also died, then the Nurse who had cared for this woman in quarantine also died. This virus seems to cause viral haemorrhagic fever. Scary stuff!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Auds, thanks for the concern,Rezelles kidneys started working again over the weekend and she is regaining some use to her one hand and able to wiggle her toes a bit but there has definitely been brain Damage from the strokes, she talks and jokes but we will have to see how badly her cognitive skills have been affected.
It appears she picked up something viral from one of her cheetahs which,on top of the bilharzia and tick bite fever damage knocked her over.
Thank God she is a fighter.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Auds, thanks for the concern,Rezelles kidneys started working again over the weekend and she is regaining some use to her one hand and able to wiggle her toes a bit but there has definitely been brain Damage from the strokes, she talks and jokes but we will have to see how badly her cognitive skills have been affected.
It appears she picked up something viral from one of her cheetahs which,on top of the bilharzia and tick bite fever damage knocked her over.
Thank God she is a fighter.
That's postive news, hope she continues to improve
Old Dec 25th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

What a Fighter!!!
Rezelle is starting to get more feeling back, she's using a Walker and the physio has her moving around,,the stroke damage to her face is hardly noticeable but most importantly, her ever present sense of humour and self has continued throughout!
Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks again for your kind comments
Old Dec 26th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Thats great news Daxk

What a Fighter!!!
Rezelle is starting to get more feeling back, she's using a Walker and the physio has her moving around,,the stroke damage to her face is hardly noticeable but most importantly, her ever present sense of humour and self has continued throughout!
Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks again for your kind comments
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by ForeignGal
I am considering sending my sons to boarding school in SA for a varitey of reasons. At the moment we are thinking about Hilton College, approx 1 hour north of Durban, and Bishops, Cape Town. Being British with no connections in SA I wondered how easy my sons would fit in to the culture of private school in SA. One of my sons isn't sporty and I've heard thats a big negative in SA, and I've also heard that there is a high bully culture in these schools - is that completely inaccurate? More importantly I want to know how safe my sons will be over there. Will two 13 year old white british boys stand out, and are there things that one should know i.e. places not to go?
I think the lifestyle, education and culture wil really enrich my sons lifes and I am pro this idea but my hubby is completely paranoid about how dangerous SA is, or at least is preceived to be. I hope I have not offended anyone and any info would be greatly appreciated.
I went to two boarding schools in South Africa between 1990 and 1996. I went to school in Pietersberg and then Messina. I have to tell you in all honesty the schools during my time were very strict and we were relatively safe. Bullying was not tolerated and anyone caught doing so was expelled! Also this was in a semi-private school. I haven't read all the replied but if you can go over with your boys and check everything out yourself. South Africa is not a safe country. It never has been and sadly over time crime has become worse which is why I'm thankful to be in the UK. Being in a boarding school the children will be looked after properly and probably not allowed to wonder out of the premisis alone. Good Luck and I'm sure your boys will fit in just fine. Being sporty isn't everything and as long as they show a willingness to learn and get good grades for exams they will be fine.