Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Rick B / 6000 etc – GONE ?

Rick B / 6000 etc – GONE ?

Old May 17th 2007, 9:08 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rick B / 6000 etc – GONE ?

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Oh, I know you're not. We recognize the stirrers
ah, that's alright then
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ag Bless!
I got my own thread (sort of "own" anyway)!

Shit man, I'm so flattered.
I'd like to thank my mum, my dad, Mr Mbeki, Steve Biko, Leon Schuster, Schalk Burger, Jacob Zuma... etc etc.

And before anyone asks - no, I'm not a HCR person.
They're as way out as some of the posters on here - just at the other end of the spectrum.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:38 pm
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pablo
She was only going on holiday. I daresay her experiences were your usual typical holiday experiences of a few meals out, seeing sights etc. Why should she bother writing it up and saying she had a nice time? She's seen enough of your posts to know that you'll tear her apart. If I were her, I wouldn't bother either.

Tourists from the West, with their superficial chequebook morality, don't really care two hoots about Africa. They didn't understand colonial Africa and didn't want to. Now they don't understand post-colonial Africa either,and don't want to. They just want to feel good, all warm and fuzzy inside, and occasionally send off a few quid to "make poverty history" and then just get on with their consumerist hedonism.

SA as a holiday destination wasn't "cool". Now it is "cool" and so "cool" people can go there without feeling bad about themselves. The only thing that rattles them is that they might get mugged, murdered, raped, or bitten by some nasty African insect. Well let 'em get bitten. A bit of reality will do them good.

Pablo
You are absolutely correct but 2 things. 1 there is nothing wrong with visiting a place and enjoying it on face value. We all do it to a certain extent.

Secondly the people who dont "care about africa" also dont really care too much about the politics of their own country either. In England no-one really cares which party gets in -your life doesnt change, but in Africa the politics makes a huge difference, so its understandable that you guys "care" far more than the average person from the US or UK. Plus politics is way more interesting here (Probably not a good sign actually!)
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NTS
You are absolutely correct but 2 things. 1 there is nothing wrong with visiting a place and enjoying it on face value. We all do it to a certain extent.

Secondly the people who dont "care about africa" also dont really care too much about the politics of their own country either. In England no-one really cares which party gets in -your life doesnt change, but in Africa the politics makes a huge difference, so its understandable that you guys "care" far more than the average person from the US or UK. Plus politics is way more interesting here (Probably not a good sign actually!)
Some good points.

And the politics is "way more interesting here" because it's a country which is still changing and developing. It's in Africa - it actually isn't a European country, despite what many think!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NTS
The people who dont "care about africa" also dont really care too much about the politics of their own country either. In England no-one really cares which party gets in -your life doesnt change, but in Africa the politics makes a huge difference, so its understandable that you guys "care" far more than the average person from the US or UK. Plus politics is way more interesting here (Probably not a good sign actually!)
People in the West are becoming increasingly infantilized. When they describe themselves as unpolitical, as I hear all too often, it is not that they are unpolitical at all, it is that their political responses are unschooled, ignorant, childish, derivative - but just look at their vitriolic response when their unthoughtout opinions are challenged. Passion replaces reason. Emoting repaces analysis. There is far too much fatuous "caring" and anyone who does not subscribe to the scramble towards chequebook morality is accused in screaming intemperate tones of not "caring". Look at the vulgar Nuremburg Rally emotionfest of Diana's funeral, or the gormless emotionalism of Make Poverty History. Those who remain ignorant of history are condemned to repeat it.

Pablo
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

People in the West are becoming increasingly infantilized. When they describe themselves as unpolitical, as I hear all too often, it is not that they are unpolitical at all, it is that their political responses are unschooled, ignorant, childish, derivative - but just look at their vitriolic response when their unthoughtout opinions are challenged. Passion replaces reason. Emoting repaces analysis. There is far too much fatuous "caring" and anyone who does not subscribe to the scramble towards chequebook morality is accused in screaming intemperate tones of not "caring". Look at the vulgar Nuremburg Rally emotionfest of Diana's funeral, or the gormless emotionalism of Make Poverty History. Those who remain ignorant of history are condemned to repeat it.

Pablo
APPLAUSE.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Distinct lack of backbone, I'd say.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo
You're so right in much of what you say.
But the responses are "unschooled, ignorant, childish, derivative" because life is comfortable for them. They don't NEED activism. So different here.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6000
You're so right in much of what you say.
But the responses are "unschooled, ignorant, childish, derivative" because life is comfortable for them. They don't NEED activism. So different here.
My plea, such as it is, is not for "activism" (whatever that is) but for thought and learning. There are far too many ignorant interventions.

But you are right about Westerners' lives being comfortable. Funny thing is, for all their bloated comfort, they do not seem at all happy. Which makes me think that choking your life with needless luxury is not the path to happiness.

Pablo
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:31 pm
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

Pablo
I quite agree. This is especially true in my generation (I am 30... there I said it) in Europe who have not had hardship in my generation. I have never witnessed a world war, real economic downturns, serious industrial unrest. So where does my generation turn for its problems? After all, everyone needs problems.

It is a bit different for in South Africa. There has been major social change in the lifetime of 30 year olds, and I think these "geniuine" social problems make people think and become more mature for it.

My South African friends and colleagues have far more social / political awareness than my UK friends.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:35 pm
NTS
NTS

My plea, such as it is, is not for "activism" (whatever that is) but for thought and learning. There are far too many ignorant interventions.

But you are right about Westerners' lives being comfortable. Funny thing is, for all their bloated comfort, they do not seem at all happy. Which makes me think that choking your life with needless luxury is not the path to happiness.

Pablo
To illustrate your point (and my point that mindless toursim can lead to awareness as well) when we first got here we did one of those tours of Soweto. At one point we all got out and looked around someones tin house. It was obviously staged. But the thing that really amazed me was the children. They were obviously so poor with scruffy clothes but they were laughing and smiling and seemed so happy. (this bit cannot have been staged) This is such a contrast to the Kids in UK, who seem so miserable depsite all the Pizza's & playstations and material things.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NTS
To illustrate your point (and my point that mindless toursim can lead to awareness as well) when we first got here we did one of those tours of Soweto. At one point we all got out and looked around someones tin house. It was obviously staged. But the thing that really amazed me was the children. They were obviously so poor with scruffy clothes but they were laughing and smiling and seemed so happy. (this bit cannot have been staged) This is such a contrast to the Kids in UK, who seem so miserable depsite all the Pizza's & playstations and material things.
Kids in Southern Africa of all hues have always been able to entertain themselves without the need for 'things'
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:50 pm
NTS
NTS

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Kids in Southern Africa of all hues have always been able to entertain themselves without the need for 'things'
But they make up for it as adults. I amazed at the material attitude here amongst the adults. I am truly shocked by the regulation Mercedes & prada sunglasses. financed by massive debt. Then you can see the new money doing the same.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NTS
But they make up for it as adults. I amazed at the material attitude here amongst the adults. I am truly shocked by the regulation Mercedes & prada sunglasses. financed by massive debt. Then you can see the new money doing the same.
True. It is something that all us S.A. expats usually comment on among ourselves.

'What car do you drive?'
'Where do you live?'

Sets the tone for most friendships over there.

People aren't accepted for themselves, but for where they live, what they own. You don't find a mix of people at parties, i.e. like-seeks-like? They are always surprised when they come over on holiday and we'll have a woman who cleans homes for a living, sitting drinking next to the local mayor at our do's
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:27 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to say that’s the case all over the world these days. That’s the way one judge’s success. He who dies with the most toys wins. If your kid doesn’t have fancy name brand clothes then you’re a bad parent, if your wife doesn’t have a huge rock on her finger then you’re a bad husband and if you don’t drive a BMW then you’re poor.
Man I can’t wait to show of my new iphone to the looses at work they will be so jealous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.