Remembering Africa

Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:52 am
Just Joined

dinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Remembering Africa

Did anyone go to the Germiston Drive-In? We used to go every Friday night and take all the children with!! All five of them so the car was always crowded but we made sure that the duvets and pillows were handy in case they fell asleep which they invariably did!!! After we would go to the Hungry Eye for the best prego rolls ever!!! Huge things and packed with meat. Also used to wander around the Art Gallery in Joubert Park after the kiddies had a paddle in the little pool , near where people used to play on the giant chess board. Anyone remember the huge sculpture that used to stand outside the Art Gallery can't remember what it depicted , I think it was quite modern but anyway one weekend we went as usual and the bloody thing had been decimated of all the bronze and heavy metal. Bizarre really. Ah, those were the days!!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

livid will become famous soon enoughlivid will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dinwiddie98
Also used to wander around the Art Gallery in Joubert Park after the kiddies had a paddle in the little pool , near where people used to play on the giant chess board. Anyone remember the huge sculpture that used to stand outside the Art Gallery can't remember what it depicted , I think it was quite modern but anyway one weekend we went as usual and the bloody thing had been decimated of all the bronze and heavy metal. Bizarre really. Ah, those were the days!!!
Thanks dinwiddie (& the rest of you),

Your post reminded me of the Christmas lights in Joubert Park, anyone remember those ? we would go & then for a smart of dinner at the Landrost hotel.
Sadly lots of statues around town have been chopped up for scrap, even the buck in the fountain in Braamfontein across the road from Wits east campus, I think the Café was called "Pops Corner" ?, the latest casualty is the railings on the new Nelson Mandela Bridge which links Braamfontein & Newtown !
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Remembering Africa

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Talk about closing at 12! I remember going to a club in Durbs on the beachfront years ago - can't recall the name, about 1984 or so, and freaking that they closed at midnight - we'd only been there 15 mins!!! The place was a bore for teens in those days.
Ah Durban, you obviously didn't know where to go! There was a club near Addington beach which closed at about 6am or when the last person left. Those years the place to go was house parties where the tequila was flowing. Fond memories of "posing" at Joe Cools and the Cattleman. Anyone remember Fathers Mustache and Ports disco!!

Back to the Vaal anyone remember the irish pub Fibber Magees near Kylami always a good night out Come on you Pretoria ravers what memories. Anyone been to "lime light", cannot believe I was convinced to set foot in there but then again met the Mrs there - can't all be bad.

Bruce.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bruce67
Ah Durban, you obviously didn't know where to go! There was a club near Addington beach which closed at about 6am or when the last person left. Those years the place to go was house parties where the tequila was flowing. Fond memories of "posing" at Joe Cools and the Cattleman. Anyone remember Fathers Mustache and Ports disco!!

Back to the Vaal anyone remember the irish pub Fibber Magees near Kylami always a good night out Come on you Pretoria ravers what memories. Anyone been to "lime light", cannot believe I was convinced to set foot in there but then again met the Mrs there - can't all be bad.

Bruce.
Thanks Bruce
I think 330 in Durban was the place you are refering to.

All the way up on the "Highveld" Fibber Magees was an excellent spot in the far Northern subburbs of Jhb as too were Falcons Crest & Foxys !

Further north there was as you mentioned The lime Light but also Jacquelines !

Back to Joeys (& a few years ealier) anyone remember Plum Crazy ?

And to end with a little irony...The Old White Horse Inn mentioned earlier in this thread by "way2go" is now an alcohol & drug rehabilitation center !
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:08 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce67

Bruce.
I remember the Father's Mustache well. Usually only clubbed there around the December hols. I also remember an Irish band that used to play at one of those beachside hotels. I think they were called the Blarney Brothers. I suffered from one rather serious hangover from one of their events. I would have loved to get my hands on one of their CD's. In those days it was -*cough*- 8 track tapes slowly converting to the smaller tapes.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I remember the Father's Mustache well. Usually only clubbed there around the December hols. I also remember an Irish band that used to play at one of those beachside hotels. I think they were called the Blarney Brothers. I suffered from one rather serious hangover from one of their events. I would have loved to get my hands on one of their CD's. In those days it was -*cough*- 8 track tapes slowly converting to the smaller tapes.
Yirra Tegwyn you are a bit of an "ou toppie"
8 track tapes that was before LP's ...
The Blarney brothers are still going strong ! (like you)
I am in the events industry & we booked them to do a show for a client a few months back ...

I believe it is their 23rd "anniversary" this year !

They don't make them like that anymore

(If you PM me I will see what I can do to get hold of a CD for you)
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:31 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livid
Yirra Tegwyn you are a bit of an "ou toppie"
8 track tapes that was before LP's ...
The Blarney brothers are still going strong ! (like you)
I am in the events industry & we booked them to do a show for a client a few months back ...

I believe it is their 23rd "anniversary" this year !

They don't make them like that anymore

(If you PM me I will see what I can do to get hold of a CD for you)
Actually they had the LP's and 7 Singles before the tapes but ag ja man, I am sommer 'n ou vrou nou!! Sommer have to change my name to Tannie Tegwyn anymore. .
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

I remember the chinese place..can't recall the name of it though.....one of my fav restaurants in Joeys was at the Bedford Centre - Italian, downstairs - you'd have to wait ages for a table - I was usually tipsy by the time we got called as I'd had one too many.
Heya RL, was that place called the "Sizzling Gourmet Grill" ?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Actually they had the LP's and 7 Singles before the tapes but ag ja man, I am sommer 'n ou vrou nou!! Sommer have to change my name to Tannie Tegwyn anymore. .
Ag askies "Tannie", I am not sure which started 1st so I'll take your word for it but I'm pretty sure "8 track" cassettes ended before LPs & 7 singles did, they were replaced with the double sided tape casette.

P.S you can't be that old, cause you don't even mention "78's"
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:24 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Ag askies "Tannie", I am not sure which started 1st so I'll take your word for it but I'm pretty sure "8 track" cassettes ended before LPs & 7 singles did, they were replaced with the double sided tape casette.

Hehehehe..... Actually my father had an 8 track tape in his car. Was on the top of his game then. The double sided tapes and LP's and 7 singles was my time. If I recall correctly, record players could be set to 33, 45, or 78. I used to play my father's welsh records on 78 as I hated the records, but found the mickey mouse singing of his precious records hilarious. But I was sommer jus 'n meisie kind back then. Let's just say I am very close to the half century mark.......
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:56 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

LP's and singles ran at the same time as 8 track. Cassette tapes replaced 8 track.

No, it wasn't called that..the Italian place? I can't for the life of me remember what it was called - been gone too long, and I'm an old lady.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it wasn't called that..the Italian place? I can't for the life of me remember what it was called - been gone too long, and I'm an old lady.
Was it Dino's?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:09 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stanley10
Was it Dino's?
It used to be in the basement, right next to the Pick n Pay. I truly can't remember what it was called, but we used to go there often.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.dining-out.co.za/member_d...erID-2461.html

There were several restaurants down there, but I think there was one between Dinos and the Pick n Pay, but I thought it was a steak house, and now that I think about it Dinos wasn't really Italian. I ate there a couple of times and really enjoyed the place, the head waiter was really impressive, and I'd pay money just to hear him go through the menu. I ate at the steakhouse next door as well which wasn't bad, but can't remember the name of the place.

http://www.bedfordcentre.com/index.html

I tried going through their site but none of the names rings a bell.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:07 am
Nuts and Bolts

LP's and singles ran at the same time as 8 track. Cassette tapes replaced 8 track.

See, that proves that I'm not that *ahem* ancient... As for not remembering, well, that has to do with the accumulation of those very lekker brandewyn en cokes. Fried some of those memory cells.

I've just come back from an 8 day trip to St Lucia. I thought of Ms Tips when I was there. I noticed that although the native people seem so much more easy going - there were so many of them living in shacks just like those I remember in SA, Zims, Zambia and Kenya. Judging by the type of shops and like available - unless of course the stuff catered to tourists, many of the locals appear to have very little disposable income. The roads were in average to poor condition and the airport rather ramshackle. I was watching some of the kids practice cricket in their rather sad looking playgrounds. There were a lot of interesting parallels. Met up with a friend in Castries that is a contractor for the new Greg Norman golf course being built and he was filling us in on the similarities of issues as well. He's a British lad that has done his stint around the sun belt building golf course estates. It appears the divide exists even if not as blatant or hostile. It was noted because of the debate Ms Tips and I shared a while ago.

It certainly made me wonder if people in SA will ever fully integrate if people with far fewer issues still segregate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.