Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Potential Re-locate from US to Africa

Potential Re-locate from US to Africa

Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:48 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all
Default Potential Re-locate from US to Africa

Having been to the this section of the Forum before, so hope you folks are a nice bunch. Seeking general advice on a possible re-locate to Africa.

We are Brits currently in the US, but may may have an opp for another adventure. There is some flexibility as to where we can be based, but the shortlist would seem to be:

Nairobi, Kenya
Dar, Tanzania
Gaborone, Botswana
Kampala, Uganda

My wife would be establishing a base for a non-profit.
I work for one of the Big4, so could do that or something a bit more laid back like open a bike shop.

We have two children and would want a decent int'l school and decent intra-Africa, Africa-US East Coast and Africa-UK air connections.

Would value perspectives from other ex-pats on where we should focus research given the list above.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Potential Re-locate from US to Africa

Originally Posted by IPM
Having been to the this section of the Forum before, so hope you folks are a nice bunch. Seeking general advice on a possible re-locate to Africa.

We are Brits currently in the US, but may may have an opp for another adventure. There is some flexibility as to where we can be based, but the shortlist would seem to be:

Nairobi, Kenya
Dar, Tanzania
Gaborone, Botswana
Kampala, Uganda

My wife would be establishing a base for a non-profit.
I work for one of the Big4, so could do that or something a bit more laid back like open a bike shop.

We have two children and would want a decent int'l school and decent intra-Africa, Africa-US East Coast and Africa-UK air connections.

Would value perspectives from other ex-pats on where we should focus research given the list above.
I see that someone has posted about Dar on another question which should help you. If you have not been to an African country then all the countries would be an adventure! I have only been to Nairobi and Kampala and would go back to Kampala tomorrow. there is an International school and also many expats with various NGO's etc and also expats in banking. There are now supermarkets from South Africa and various SA businesses. We lived in Entebbe and in Karamoja but have shopped many times in Kampala and also gone out in evening. There was even a small cinema. If you never lived in Africa it may be a bit of a shock, state of driving and roads etc. Most of the bikes I saw were of the heavy Chinese variety but I am sure there will be many other opportunities for business. People are computer and internet smart. The people are very nice and very welcoming. From Uganda you usually fly from Entebbe to Nairobi or Joburg to pick up many international flights.