Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Police stations now being attacked in SA

Police stations now being attacked in SA

Old May 17th 2007, 9:22 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Police stations now being attacked in SA

For all of those that keep asking why all the negative posting on this forum.

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=521542

Well here it is, it is getting so bad in SA that the police stations are now getting attacked by gunmen.

Yet, we constantly hear on this forum that there is no crime in SA or it is restricted to poor black people or the other one is that it depends where you live.

Well it seems even the police are not safe
Old May 17th 2007, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Police stations now being attacked in SA

This has been going on for years. The police stations in the Cape were the first to hire private security firms to protect them, what? 3 or 4 years ago?
Old May 18th 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

hahahaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells
Well here it is, it is getting so bad in SA that the police stations are now getting attacked by gunmen.

Yet, we constantly hear on this forum that there is no crime in SA or it is restricted to poor black people or the other one is that it depends where you live.
Campbells, pardon me but unless we're living in a parallel universe all I see is you and the like slagging off and exaggerating South Africa's crime. You get the odd fool who tries to make out Britain or the USA is as bad or worse than South Africa but they're a minority.

Don't police stations get attacked in Brazil? Does this mean Brazil is worse than South Africa?
Old May 18th 2007, 9:53 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hahahaha
Campbells, pardon me but unless we're living in a parallel universe all I see is you and the like slagging off and exaggerating South Africa's crime. You get the odd fool who tries to make out Britain or the USA is as bad or worse than South Africa but they're a minority.

Don't police stations get attacked in Brazil? Does this mean Brazil is worse than South Africa?
No bud, sadly I must respond that it is the same planet.

Do you have the links or stats to how many people say that ?

Can you back up your statement with stats ?

Do you have the stats for how many Zimbabweans are running back to Zim that are saying that South Africa is worse than Zim – scary
Old Jul 14th 2007, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

No bud, sadly I must respond that it is the same planet.

Do you have the links or stats to how many people say that ?

Can you back up your statement with stats ?

Do you have the stats for how many Zimbabweans are running back to Zim that are saying that South Africa is worse than Zim – scary
No, do you? This should be interesting.

http://www.mj.gov.br/senasp/estatist...e2004_2005.pdf

Scroll down to 'Homicidios Dolosos'. You wont bother reading this properly as it's in Portuguese and it's a thorough, official and well researched artice rather than the tabloid crud some of you go on. I totalled up Recife and it's suburbs' homicides for 2005 and it comes to 66 per 100,000 - higher than comparable cities like Cape Town and Durban. The same was done for Rio and it has a higher rate than Gauteng. You'd need to know what areas are suburbs of each city but the facts are there.

Given that several Latin American police forces are much more violent and corrupt than those in SA and hardly bother recording any crime apart from homicide, there's far more likely to be an undercount than in South Africa.

Ah well, there's always next year eh?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Well, well Stormer. Casting your red herrings around again. South Africa is paradise. There is absolutely no crime there, according to you that is.

I guess South Africans must like their outside decor to resemble Alcatraz and all the security firms and security complexes doing business there, must just do so for the hell of it, I guess.

I've been to Recife. I've walked around at night on my own in Recife. I lived for decades in Gauteng. I have never walked around alone at night on my own. Strange.

Latin American police are more violent and corrupt than South African police? You can try to fool the poor Brits who don't have a clue or have never dealt with your average S.A. copper, but you don't us.

Scroll down to 'Homicidios Dolosos'. You wont bother reading this properly as it's in Portuguese and it's a thorough, official and well researched artice rather than the tabloid crud some of you go on. I totalled up Recife and it's suburbs' homicides for 2005 and it comes to 66 per 100,000 - higher than comparable cities like Cape Town and Durban. The same was done for Rio and it has a higher rate than Gauteng. You'd need to know what areas are suburbs of each city but the facts are there.

Given that several Latin American police forces are much more violent and corrupt than those in SA and hardly bother recording any crime apart from homicide, there's far more likely to be an undercount than in South Africa.

Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:12 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Well, well Stormer. Casting your red herrings around again. South Africa is paradise. There is absolutely no crime there, according to you that is.

I guess South Africans must like their outside decor to resemble Alcatraz and all the security firms and security complexes doing business there, must just do so for the hell of it, I guess.

I've been to Recife. I've walked around at night on my own in Recife. I lived for decades in Gauteng. I have never walked around alone at night on my own. Strange.

Latin American police are more violent and corrupt than South African police? You can try to fool the poor Brits who don't have a clue or have never dealt with your average S.A. copper, but you don't us.
Here, here TT. Almost as bad as Florida.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:33 am
Banned

So whats your point ??

There is another forum for Brazil - this one is SA
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:36 am
Banned

Please take this to the Brazil forum,

This is a SA forum
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Here, here TT. Almost as bad as Florida.
I got such bad culture shock when I moved here. Can you imagine? No 8 ft wall around my house, topped by barbed wire? (nowadays I'd have an electric fence up there - latest in securityware). No burglar bars on the inside and outside of my windows? What a shock that was. No steel door in front of the front and back doors! No 'rape gate'! Horror!

No panic alarms and security systems. My system went into shock at that one! No big dogs to alert me to intruders. What lazy sods the dogs here are. Imagine that. They're PETS, not guard dogs.

Beeing able to turn on red only and not being able to just drive through a red robot like I used to do back home - the pain was unbelievable. A quick make up check in the mirror here felt so decadent. I used to have to kill two birds with one stone by checking my rear view mirror and side mirrors constantly, for potential car hijackers. How do women here do it???

The habit of keeping a car length between you and the car in front at robots has stayed with me - I mean, who knows, some old fogeys might try to sandwich me in to rob me....

And how about pulling into your driveway and checking no one is lurking on the other side of the gate? It is so sad that people don't just drop in to 'visit' you here. At least in S.A. they keep themselves entertained by breaking in- raping the women, babies and toddlers in the house, torturing same, pouring boiling kettle water down men's throats, applying hot irons to their feet, etc..etc....Life here is so boring in comparison.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:57 pm
Banned

I got such bad culture shock when I moved here. Can you imagine? No 8 ft wall around my house, topped by barbed wire? (nowadays I'd have an electric fence up there - latest in securityware). No burglar bars on the inside and outside of my windows? What a shock that was. No steel door in front of the front and back doors! No 'rape gate'! Horror!

No panic alarms and security systems. My system went into shock at that one! No big dogs to alert me to intruders. What lazy sods the dogs here are. Imagine that. They're PETS, not guard dogs.

Beeing able to turn on red only and not being able to just drive through a red robot like I used to do back home - the pain was unbelievable. A quick make up check in the mirror here felt so decadent. I used to have to kill two birds with one stone by checking my rear view mirror and side mirrors constantly, for potential car hijackers. How do women here do it???

The habit of keeping a car length between you and the car in front at robots has stayed with me - I mean, who knows, some old fogeys might try to sandwich me in to rob me....

And how about pulling into your driveway and checking no one is lurking on the other side of the gate? It is so sad that people don't just drop in to 'visit' you here. At least in S.A. they keep themselves entertained by breaking in- raping the women, babies and toddlers in the house, torturing same, pouring boiling kettle water down men's throats, applying hot irons to their feet, etc..etc....Life here is so boring in comparison.
Exactly, well said TT
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:13 pm

Well you never know some old goat might try and give you a blue do by force. Keep the windows up. It’s scary out there.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

I never said SA had no crime. You're putting words in my mouth.

Very strange TouristTrap. I wasn't talking about Gauteng but not only are the homicide stats higher for Recife (fact), most people I've met seem agreed that Recife is more DANGEROUS than Cape Town or Durban though SLIGHTLY safer than Jo'burg. Rio's more dangerous than Jo'burg outright.

And CLEARLY you know little about Latin American police forces, they are far more MILITANT, are far less TRUSTED by the locals than SAPS and kill FAR more people than SA police. These are hard facts. You have no idea.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

So whats your point ??

There is another forum for Brazil - this one is SA
I'd love to see the look on your face.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:04 pm

I'd love to see the look on your face.
Do not under stand English? This thread is about SOUTH AFRICA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.