Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:35 am
Just Joined

ifzama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Originally Posted by RiceOwl09
Hi, My name is Steven. I just recently graduated college in the U.S. and will be working in the Pointe Noire for Schlumberger in the fall. I was wondering if anyone could describe the banking situation in Pointe Noire to me? I have been trying to find out what international banks operate in the area and I haven't had any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven

Hi Steve,
Just want to check with you how you are doing. How are you liking it so far?
I do not have a job, but would like to move down there.
Any advice would be greatly apreciated.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:06 am
Just Joined

ifzama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gabon contact

Hi Morgenstille,
Are you still in Gabon? Would like to communicate with you directly by email.
I am seriously considering moving Gabon, and would like some help.
Hope you do not mind me trying to contact you privately.
Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:13 pm
Wifey Jaf

HayleyJaffrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Mel/Phil, etc

Hia, my name is Hayley and I am also from Aberdeen (Bridge of Don!). My husband Mike is coming down to Point Noire on Thursday on a job and there is a possibility that either a rotation or expat posting could come out of it. So here I am, conducting as much research as I can A) for his trip and B) in case we are all going to end up down there!

We have 2 kids - our son, Harris will be 10 in January and our daughter, Maia, is 3. I have read through your posts and by the sounds of it, you and your family love it in Point Noire and have really made the most of your posting, which is great to hear.

We were supposed to move to Baku, Azerbaijan last Summer with my husbands job, but it all fell through at the last minute. He had worked there month on/month off for 3 years and when we went for a visit, we loved it. As you will probably know, Baku is considered a hardship posting and it is significantly different to living in the UK, but we looked past the harsh exterior (run-down areas, crime, corruption and certain food shortages!) and saw a very beautiful country, with lovely people and saw it as an opportunity to open up the world to our kids.

I have a really good job with GE Oil & Gas (Vetco Gray) but not sure if I will work if we moved, but I dare say when the kids are at school, I can do some adhoc, consultancy work - process improvement & programme/project management.

Where abouts in Aberdeen are you from and who does Phil work for? Mike is going down as an Inspection Supervisor for Connect NDT.

I saw that both of your kids had come down with Malaria - I hope that they are all recovered now and that it wasn't serious. Whats your healthcare like? Malaria and illness in general would be a worry for us, but from what you have said, if you are careful everything is manageable.

I look forward to hearing from you guys! All the best!
Cheers
Hayley
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Bongo In Congo is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning Hayley,

Thanbks for the message, we do like to hear of more Scottish coming across even if it is only a Maybe.

Mel is from Dyce and I am from Newmachar and I work for FMC here.

Yes we both love the life down here, it's not europe and you have to used to it, there is a great ex pat community and we all look after each other in times of need (Which is usually no electric in somebodys house)

The only real problem that I would see for you is the age of your kids and schooling for them, my son goes to the international school but I'm sure they only go up to the age off 11, I'll ask the headmaster this week and get back to you.

Malaria is a big risk outwith the cities, but my son has had it twice and my daughter once and they have been ok.

Well I'd better go and get some work done, I do love Monday mornings.NOT.

But give us a shout with any questions and we'll get them asnwered for you.

And tell yer hubby to gove me a phone when he lands in country and we'll meet up with him, I'll private message you my number.

Cheers,

Mel, Phil & the Kids
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:17 am
Wifey Jaf

Hia Phil
Thanks for your response, its really appreciated! I hope that you and Mel are grand - and the kids too!

Mike will be in Point Noire Thursday/Friday and I am sure he will appreciate hooking up with a friendly Aberdonian, as he will be down there by himself. He will be staying in a hotel - not sure which one yet - but hopefully it won't be a sh*thole!

We will know more about the future once he has been down there for a bit - all I know is that he has a MASSIVE amount of pipe to get through and there is precious little resource (in terms of skilled hands) to share the work with, so he will be working hard! But that isn't anything new! As I understand it, Connect NDT are pitching for more Inspection opportunities in the Congo, so I am sure it will lead to more work in the future.

Hope you had a great Monday and that Tuesday is going well too!
Cheers
Hailz
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Bongo In Congo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hayley,

All good here, packing up as we are moving house, and Mya is on holiday so driving the wife insane.

How long is Mike coming down for on this trip?

Some of the hotels are nearly OK the rest are crap but the sun is shining so all is good.

Our Daughter Mya is 3 (4 in Jan) and she goes to a French pre school which is really nice.

Josef goes to the international school which is extortionate in price but the only option we had as the french school is chocka.

I've asked David the Head at the scool what age they go up to but I think it's 11, but I'll comfirm once I know more.

Tara the noo,

Mel, Phil & Sprogs
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:02 pm
Wifey Jaf

Fit Like 'en!

Our daughter is Maia too (but obviously spelt differently!) - quality name!

Mike will be staying at the Hotel Azur. We hear that it is in need of a bit of a facelift, but apparently has a great bar & restaurant!

Do FMC provide schooling as part your expat package? When we were going to head to Baku, Weatherford were picking up the education tab. Not sure what the deal would be for us - I guess that all has to get sorted out in the negotiation phase. I know how much the International school fees were in Baku - nae cheap!

Best of luck with the house move this weekend! That's me finished work now - yas!!

Chat soon
Hailz
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:43 am
Just Joined

fionawinst is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Hayley,

Phil (Bongo), called me this morning and asked if I knew you as Balmedie came up!
My name is Fiona Winstanley (married to Jeffrey). We moved out to Pointe Noire at the end of May and we love it here.

We have no kids here as they are now 22 and 20!
We still have a house in Balmedie where our son is still staying.

Jeff used to work at Vetco Gray but now works with FMC. We thought there might be a chance that we all may have met before! Once you have met Jeff its hard to forget him!

Phil, and family have made it a great transition out here for us. Everyone is very helpful and quite close knit. We spend a lot of free time together which is exhausting but great fun. For us ladies we have a book club (the guys call it the wine club). We meet every other week or so and swap books and chat (drink).
Please dont worry about getting in touch if Mike wants to be shown around and get a good idea of what its all about. Everyone out here is really friendly and easy to get on with.

I look forward to meeting you all
Fi.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:50 am
Wifey Jaf

Wink Re: Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Hia Fiona - so great to hear from you!

Well, it really is a small world, isn't it?! I work at Vetco - now GE Oil & Gas - so I will ask around re; Jeff. When we were in Balmedie, we lived in Chapelwell Park (the newer Stewart Milne development) but I have pals that live in Tormentil Ave and Lumsden Way.

We are not sure if this trip will lead to more work for Mike, i.e. a regular rotation or expat posting, yet but will find out when he gets down there. I'm loving the sound of the book club tho!!

He will be staying at the Azur, which Phil says is just down the road from him and Mel, so it is good to know that he will have some friendly people, like you guys, that he can spend his downtime with. Mike's ace, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?!

I am so grateful for your kindness - it really does help both Mike and I knowing that you like Point Noire and are happy and settled there. Its very reassuring.

Righto - look forward to hearing from you again - I'd better do some work!! GE dinna half crack the whip

Hayley
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Dear Hayley,

Good to be in touch! You were in the newer houses than us. We are in Eigie View at the bottom of the school playground. We have had a house there for 21 years!

Hotel Azur is just around the corner from us (walking distance) so never fear Mike will not be lonely. So please tell Mike to get in touch when he is here, it would be no problem showing him around.

I would highly recommend expat life because I personally love it. Its not everyones cup of tea, it just depends how adventurous you are. However, as Phil has mentioned schooling would be a major issue.

Jeff Winstanley (hubby) is 6 ft 3 in, bald, (looks like Bluto, from Popeye). He left Vetco about 5 years ago. He is a Yorkshire man but I have forgiven him for that.

I also know some Jaffries (I know its a long shot!) including Linda Jaffrie who worked as a PA or Secretary at Vetco and was married to a Major Jaffrie, they returned to Aberdeen from Germany about 16 years ago their daughter is Hazel.

I am waiting on Jeff to give me some more names and will come back to you on them

Is Mikes contract anything to do with Weatherford? We know people out here with them too!

Look forward to hearing from you
Love Fi
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:37 pm
Wifey Jaf

Hia Fiona!

Thanks for getting back and its good to know that you will be nearby for Mike too!

He works for ConnectNDT will be working on a contract for M&P. He "served his time" as an inspector with Tuboscope and then moved on to work offshore & abroad with Apex Tubulars. He worked for Weatherford for one month - we were supposed to move to Baku with them, but they were awful to deal with re: the relocation and their set up was shocking apparently! He latterly worked for Tenaris and has just started with ConnectNDT.

I've only been with Vetco since July but love it. I am in Subsea Production Systems working on process improvements - trying to get their project execution processes up to scratch! No mean feat!

One of my best mates is a Yorkie - from Wakefield - so Jeffs alright in my book!!

I'm so chuffed that I found you guys and that you will look out for my main man! Thanks a million - we both really appreciate it! I hear that internet connection is a bit dodgy over there, but Mike has got a company mobile, so we will be in touch regularly. Will miss him like Billyo and are spending tonight chilling out with the kids and making some video movies, so they can watch their Daddy when he is away! Bless!

I will look forward to hearing all about his trip when he gets back. Not sure how long he will be away but expecting it to be anything between 2-4 weeks.

Righto, off to make Daddy videos! Thanks again Fiona - you're a Gem!

Chat soon!
Hayley
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

weenursie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya, Hayley!

Got your message today when i logged on. It seems that the other ladies have answered most of you queries so i dont think i have that much to add. I did visit Pointe Noire in august for a couple of weeks and while it was great to see my boyfriend again i was not that taken with pointe noire...

I have to say i have not travelled to any area in africa before and was unsure as to what to expect but i did not "warm" to pointe noire very much. All of the other people that i have spoken to though have said that pointe noire is a very good place to live compared to other areas of africa. I just suppose it depends on what your expectations are... However that being said there were a few things conspiring against me to let me see how "real" life would be if i was to move there so i was hoping to go back for another visit which will not happen now until after new year so on a second visit,when i know what to expect, who knows?

I think that, by talking with mel and phil by email, they seem to say once you get to know people and for some bonds things get easier so i hope your husband does manage to meet up with them and the others because they will be a big help to him.

When i go back i will let you know if i feel different having visited a second time around.

Good luck with your movie making!
Joyce
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:16 pm
Wifey Jaf

Hia Joyce

Thank you so much for responding! I'm sorry that your trip didn't go as well as it could've - I can only begin to imagine that anywhere in Africa is going to be a total culture shock and that it would take a while to settle in. You are right tho - it helps when you can establish bonds with nice people to make the transition less stressful, as it is always hard when you leave home and find yourself in a new place that is dramatically different! I hope that you have a better experience when you head back next year - you never know, we may be there to welcome you with a "fit like"!!

Take care and thanks again!
Hailz
x
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Dear Hayley

We just had a book club so things are a bit wine fuzzy!!!

Tell Mike that we live at no 320 with all the lights outside on the wall (there are no street names) opposite the Total flats round the corner from Azur. It sounds a bit obscure but honestly when you are here it all becomes clear!!!!

Leaving the Azur from the front door, turn left, get to the round about, turn left walk,(Total blocks (4) on the right side), We are the very brightly lit wall, (opposite the last block), no 320, villa TLC. Wharf. It may sound a bit obscure but really we are only round the corner! To compare - walking from Balmedie Primary School to Mikes shop = same distance!

002425954392 is my number, 595393 is Jeffs and 2425074511 is Phils.

Please believe me when I say that he will be looked after. There is a philosophy about expats, we look after each other. We become a family, because, no matter how temporary, we have all left our families behind and we know the difficulties that can arise with such a move.
Look forward to hearing from you
love Fi
x
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:58 am
Wifey Jaf

You're a wee Fluff, Fiona - thanks a million!

Will relay all this info to Mike - he leaves today, so will be in Point Noire sometime tomorrow. All going well with his work, he should be at Phil & Mels on Sunday for her Birthday Soiree!!

Lovin the sound of your Book Club!
Take care
Luv
Hailz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.