Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Northern Rhodesian Naturalization Certificates (Again)

Northern Rhodesian Naturalization Certificates (Again)

Old May 5th 2012, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

BN5563 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Rhodesian Naturalization Certificates (Again)

I've read through the other threads pertaining to the above, my situation is a bit different.

I was born in Northern Rhodesia in early 1963, my father was a British citizen and held a British passport at the time of my birth, and served in the British Army prior to my birth. He was born in South Africa, but naturalized around 1957. My father is deceased and unable to assist me with information.
My mother was born in Northern Rhodesia in 1941.

According to my research, I should qualify for British Citizenship/British Overseas Citizen, as I never registered as a Zambian after independence, I have never been naturalized but hold South African citizenship.

I made application for a British passport recently and have been advised that I require the original of my father's naturalization certificate and do not qualify with my own birth certificate, I have no idea where to start looking. I have tried contacting the relevant authorities in the UK, without success.

My question is twofold, firstly, does anyone know if legally I do qualify and secondly, where would I be able to obtain a copy of his naturalization certificate.
Old May 5th 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Rhodesian Naturalization Certificates (Again)

My brother was born in Southern Rhodesia and my parents and I were born in the UK. My brother needed a British Passport and it was at the time of sanctions. I had to get a full copy of his birth certificate and we did that through an American Bank at the time.

If you have your father's birth certificate or passport would that not be enough to help.

Also my niece was born in Zambia and they had a little difficulty getting her organised when they returned to the UK but its doable.

Just have to write to contact British Embassy for information.
Old May 5th 2012, 10:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BN5563
I've read through the other threads pertaining to the above, my situation is a bit different.

I was born in Northern Rhodesia in early 1963, my father was a British citizen and held a British passport at the time of my birth, and served in the British Army prior to my birth. He was born in South Africa, but naturalized around 1957. My father is deceased and unable to assist me with information.
My mother was born in Northern Rhodesia in 1941.

According to my research, I should qualify for British Citizenship/British Overseas Citizen, as I never registered as a Zambian after independence, I have never been naturalized but hold South African citizenship.

I made application for a British passport recently and have been advised that I require the original of my father's naturalization certificate and do not qualify with my own birth certificate, I have no idea where to start looking. I have tried contacting the relevant authorities in the UK, without success.

My question is twofold, firstly, does anyone know if legally I do qualify and secondly, where would I be able to obtain a copy of his naturalization certificate.
Are you telling us that your father was registered as a Citizen of the United Kingdom & Colonies in the United Kingdom around 1957?

He would most likely have been registered, not naturalised, because South Africa was a Commonwealth country at that time.

To track down his citizenship certificate, visit:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...tform.asp?id=7

Did he have a British passport? If yes, when was it issued and what does it say for nationality status?

You will also need a copy of his marriage certificate as well as your own birth certificate, at least.
Old May 7th 2012, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, for the responses, my father was naturalized in Lusaka around 1957, he held a British Passport which stated his citizenship as British Citizen

His mother and father had been naturalized prior to him being naturalized.

I have contacted the church my parents were married in and asked for a copy of their marriage certificate.

I have contacted national archives and am waiting for a response, is there somewhere in Lusaka I could check for these certificates?
Old May 8th 2012, 1:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So you're saying that he was a South African citizen who became registered as a Citizen of the U.K. & Colonies (CUKC) in the Northern Rhodesia protectorate in 1957? That is a possible scenario.

When you were born in 1963, Northern Rhodesia was part of the Central African Federation (1958-63), however if your father had previously acquired CUKC then he was probably able to keep it when the Federation was split away for UK/Colonies citizenship purposes (you would need to verify this with a competent UK immigration solicitor).

All this means is that if you can prove that your father acquired CUKC in Northern Rhodesia in 1957, and if your parents were married, then you would have acquired CUKC when you were born. At a minimum you would then probably be able to claim British Overseas citizenship. To claim British citizenship would require additional connections with the United Kingdom itself or certain other colonies/territories.

In order to find out who has custody of Protectorate certificates of naturalisation/registration as CUKC, you could contact either the Zambian authorities and/or the Foreign Office in London. When many colonies and protectorates became independent, the records were left for the new government to use.

Your father's British passport - where and when was it issued?
Old May 26th 2012, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, JAJ for the response, have made a little progress with, will send you a PM as it is a very complicated situation.

Where would I look for an Immigration Solicitor to assist me.
Old May 26th 2012, 9:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

I cannot respond to private messages, please continue discussion as required on forum.

To find a solicitor in England and Wales, contact the Law Society.
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosin...asolicitor.law

Very few solicitors will have the necessary expertise so choose wisely. And be prepared to pay for advice.
Some Scottish and Northern Irish solicitors may also deal in immigration law. Ask the local Law Society for details.

Realistically though - you will need some documentation of your father's status. It is not clear where all the Northern Rhodesia citizenship records are kept, or whether the British took any records at independence. Similarly for passports - if your father had a British passport, you probably need to have some idea where and when it was issued. A UK solicitor might be able to help make inquiries with the Foreign Office as to what happened to colony/protectorate citizenship and passport records at independence.

If you have a United Kingdom born grandparent and are a South African citizen, then you may be able to get an ancestry visa.

Last edited by JAJ; May 26th 2012 at 9:55 pm.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
I cannot respond to private messages, please continue discussion as required on forum.

To find a solicitor in England and Wales, contact the Law Society.
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosin...asolicitor.law

Very few solicitors will have the necessary expertise so choose wisely. And be prepared to pay for advice.
Some Scottish and Northern Irish solicitors may also deal in immigration law. Ask the local Law Society for details.

Realistically though - you will need some documentation of your father's status. It is not clear where all the Northern Rhodesia citizenship records are kept, or whether the British took any records at independence. Similarly for passports - if your father had a British passport, you probably need to have some idea where and when it was issued. A UK solicitor might be able to help make inquiries with the Foreign Office as to what happened to colony/protectorate citizenship and passport records at independence.

If you have a United Kingdom born grandparent and are a South African citizen, then you may be able to get an ancestry visa.
If you are a member of facebook Join the Northern Rhodesia and Zambia Group and I am sure someone there can help. I know I have seen similar questions answered there
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

It hasn't been the thread topic but the mother, born in Northern Rhodesia (a protectorate) in 1941, probably acquired Citizenship of the UK & Colonies in 1949. Which means that she could be a British citizen or British Overseas Citizen, depending on circumstances.

However, unless there is a United Kingdom born grandparent, or some other claim that the original poster could make to Right of Abode in the U.K. prior to 1983, the UKM registration process for British citizenship is unlikely to work.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you, for a the assistance with this.

I have obtained proof that my father and grandfather were both naturalized in Northern Rhodesia, however, my difficulty now is getting hold of someone at the British Embassy in Zambia, to assist me with obtaining Duplicate copies. FCO in the UK have advised me that all documentation remained in Zambia after independence.

Another aspect I discovered while doing my research, is that my grandfather was born in South Africa in 1913, which at that stage was a British Dominion, I haven't been able to establish what that means in terms of his citizenship.

The British Consulate has advised me that I need proof through my paternal link as I was born prior to 1983. They do have my mother's birth certificate, but have requested from my father and grandfather's side.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Thank you, for a the assistance with this.

I have obtained proof that my father and grandfather were both naturalized in Northern Rhodesia, however, my difficulty now is getting hold of someone at the British Embassy in Zambia, to assist me with obtaining Duplicate copies. FCO in the UK have advised me that all documentation remained in Zambia after independence.
Retained by the British High Commission - or handed over to the Zambian government?

If you have naturalization certificates that would be impossible to replace if lost (make copies now, by the way) then perhaps could you ask if you could make an appointment to travel to Pretoria, or another British consular office in South Africa, to allow copies to be made by a consular officer.

All that said - you may be in line only for a British Overseas citizen passport. Do you have any ties to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man? Either descent (either father's or mother's side), adoption, residence there for 5 years before 1983, or (for women only) marriage before 1983 to a man with Right of Abode, normally. Or perhaps you have ties to another place that was a British colony or territory?

Another aspect I discovered while doing my research, is that my grandfather was born in South Africa in 1913, which at that stage was a British Dominion, I haven't been able to establish what that means in terms of his citizenship.
South Africa wasn't part of the United Kingdom & Colonies from 1949, however if he became a CUKC in Northern Rhodesia and kept that status on independence in 1964, then on 1.1.1983 he would have become either a British citizen, British overseas territories citizen, or British Overseas citizen.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Retained by the British High Commission - or handed over to the Zambian government?

If you have naturalization certificates that would be impossible to replace if lost (make copies now, by the way) then perhaps could you ask if you could make an appointment to travel to Pretoria, or another British consular office in South Africa, to allow copies to be made by a consular officer.

All that said - you may be in line only for a British Overseas citizen passport. Do you have any ties to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man? Either descent (either father's or mother's side), adoption, residence there for 5 years before 1983, or (for women only) marriage before 1983 to a man with Right of Abode, normally. Or perhaps you have ties to another place that was a British colony or territory?

South Africa wasn't part of the United Kingdom & Colonies from 1949, however if he became a CUKC in Northern Rhodesia and kept that status on independence in 1964, then on 1.1.1983 he would have become either a British citizen, British overseas territories citizen, or British Overseas citizen.
"Retained by the British High Commission - or handed over to the Zambian government?"
According to the National Archives, they remained at the Commission they were issued at but I am battling to reach someone in the British High Commission in Lusaka to verify this.

"Do you have any ties to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man? Either descent (either father's or mother's side)" My great great great Grandfather, was born 1805 in Aberdeen, Scotland, his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren were all born in South Africa, 1843, 1874 and 1913. My great great grandfather was born in the UK, but I am battling with a DOB (I have a copy of their marriage certificate which puts his age at 35 in 1866, which DOB would be about 1831).
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 11:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

"Retained by the British High Commission - or handed over to the Zambian government?"
According to the National Archives, they remained at the Commission they were issued at but I am battling to reach someone in the British High Commission in Lusaka to verify this.
It's probably better to ask the Foreign Office Nationality & Consular Registration Division in London for more details. Did the National Archives give you any advice in writing?

"Do you have any ties to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man? Either descent (either father's or mother's side)" My great great great Grandfather, was born 1805 in Aberdeen, Scotland, his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren were all born in South Africa, 1843, 1874 and 1913. My great great grandfather was born in the UK, but I am battling with a DOB (I have a copy of their marriage certificate which puts his age at 35 in 1866, which DOB would be about 1831).

For Right of Abode purposes, descent generally has to be parent or grandparent. See Chapter 57 of the Nationality Instructions:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...ctions/nivol1/
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately, it seems no one in the UK can assist me, they just keep referring me back to Zambia. National Archives, didn't provide any further assistance or information, other than to also refer me back to Zambia.

I will contact the British High Commission in Harare, as I believe documents from Zambia were moved to Salisbury and the documents may have been issued from there.
Old May 11th 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

jkulik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, we have similar issue. My mother in law and father in law, both South African citizens worked in Northern Rhodesia in 1960 - 1962 in Broken Hill. My father in law worked as a policeman and mother in law as a teacher. According to an expert Phillip Gamble any South African citizen had to register as a Federal Citizen to be able to work. My question is - where can we find this registration or where can we find the naturalization certificate. BM 5563 - you say you were successful in obtaining this proof - can you pls tell us where did you get it? In Harare national archives? or in Lusaka? Thank you very much Jiri