Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Nigeria; seeking some helps on package, security etc.

Nigeria; seeking some helps on package, security etc.

Old May 17th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about
Question Nigeria; seeking some helps on package, security etc.

Kindest,

I may be offered an opportunity for a contract in Lagos/Nigeria, but have limited exposure to what is the 'going rate' and package inclusions there. Hence I was wondering if there were anyone here that have exposure to that, or could possibly point me in the right direction??!

Looking for information relevant to size of package, tax issues to concider, package inclusions/exclusions, insurance points etc. etc. ;-) Pretty much the lot.

Crossing my fingers ..

Anyways.. thanks in advance.. and have a great day!

All the best ..

/Jorgen
Old May 17th 2009, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Shildonite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nigeria; seeking some helps on package, security etc.

Rates for expats have gone down over recent years as there is a large pool of Nigerian skilled and professional work-force, but generally think of the european going rate plus 33-50% extra. Some industries do command more. Additionally you require company provided or expenses to cover secure accommodation with houseboy/girl + vehicle with driver. Security is normally provided by the landlord of the accommodation. Needless to say health insurance is a must.

Expats in Lagos tend to live in Ikoyi or on Victoria Island. I would not advise considering other locations. If you require accomodation prices I can put you in contact with some Lagos expats who have been involved in renting property for a number of years. Local rates for domestic staff approx 25000 naira driver 35000 naira per month.

Western food is available but tends to be pricey most of the expats are also on a small per-diem to compensate for this.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Shildonite; May 17th 2009 at 8:46 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shildonite
Rates for expats have gone down over recent years as there is a large pool of Nigerian skilled and professional work-force, but generally think of the european going rate plus 33-50% extra. Some industries do command more.
Ok. That makes sense... though I guess the 'euro rate' can mean a lot of things. Any idea about guidance there? Are UK market rates representative? Just need to figure out what the baseline is, or something like that...

Additionally you require company provided or expenses to cover secure accommodation with houseboy/girl + vehicle with driver. Security is normally provided by the landlord of the accommodation. Needless to say health insurance is a must.
Good point. As for health insurance... any recommendations for companies that do this? Is this usually done through a local Nigerian company, or overseas one that covers Nigeria too? I guess the latter, but just to make sure...

Expats in Lagos tend to live in Ikoyi or on Victoria Island. I would not advise considering other locations. If you require accomodation prices I can put you in contact with some Lagos expats who have been involved in renting property for a number of years. Local rates for domestic staff approx 25000 naira driver 35000 naira per month.
If you have any pointers there, that would be awsome. ;-) Always good to be prepared in terms of negotiations.. and knowing what the actual rates are would be beneficial. I would not like to go anywhere outside the norm being potentially the first time I come there and all. Would like to go somewhat the safe route I guess...

Western food is available but tends to be pricey most of the expats are also on a small per-diem to compensate for this.
Are salaries usually paid overseas? I guess they are.. would be beneficial to do in a tax beneficial state, if possible. Was thinking of maybe Dubai or something, in USD...

Any idea on what the per diem rates would be, and how this would be paid?

Hope this helps
Sure does! Many thanks for the time and effort ... much appreciated!

/Jorgen
Old May 19th 2009, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Shildonite is an unknown quantity at this point

Health Insurance: the package was provided by the the company so I dont know the cost but the company was Allianz. I had no problems when I had to use them. I will forward the web link to you on a PM.

I'm not sure how you will be dealing with Nigerian taxation as Lagos is probably the home of creative accountancy. I had a small salary paid in Nigeria with supporting contract from a local company. This was needed to secure the necessary work visas and residency permit, the salary was taxable in Nigeria. Additionally the company was invoiced by my european company which paid me out of the country.

I am also sending you details of the contacts for housing.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

dinga56 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello all
so you got your health/accident cover via Allianz. I would be grateful if you could forward their coords.

I am due to arrive in Lagos on contract ( 6mth, rolling), at the end of July 2009.

My 1st time in Nigeria, but not in Africa

I would also like to know what recreational clubs there are ?
What social locations there are pubs etc...

Do the expats only do expat places or do the locals and expats mix , which i hope they do.....