Reload this Page >

ARE MY GLASSES ROSE TINTED ???

ARE MY GLASSES ROSE TINTED ???

Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

claire elizabeth is on a distinguished road
Default ARE MY GLASSES ROSE TINTED ???

Hi

I have just joined today having returned home from a holiday in SA, hence the title !

Loved everything about the place, and intend to make a return visit when I can book some more time off work.

Have lived in the UK all my life, and am seriously ****** off with the way things are heading in the UK.

Can anyone advise - is it worth looking at SA as a place to live - or are my specs really rose tinted ( or I could just be a prat )

PS I have read some of the threads on this site , so am getting a general feel
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARE MY GLASSES ROSE TINTED ???

Originally Posted by claire elizabeth
Welcome to the forum

So ........... you've got a rough idea of what the answer to your question will be on here then?

Have you been there before? Are you basing this possible move on one holidays experiences?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Mitzyboy

Just kicking a few ideas around at the mo, as am planning another visit around July 08.

Any areas you would recommend ?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep ................ Spain

I'm only a mod, I dont live in SA
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Mitzyboy

Just kicking a few ideas around at the mo, as am planning another visit around July 08.

hi claire, why not come to america, the land of the free....

btw whatever you are pi$$ed off with in the uk you can be sure all other countries have their pitfalls....good luck
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Mitzyboy

Anywhere outside of South Africa
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Hi Claire Elizabeth- what nice names you have.

If you've read some of the threads you have your answer

...my guess is that everyone here is getting worn out worning, sorry, warning people about the reality of SA.

You had a great holiday. Does this mean you will have a great life there- who knows! but my vote is NO.....just so you know .

ps. where in SA did you go, favourites etc?

Hi

I have just joined today having returned home from a holiday in SA, hence the title !

Loved everything about the place, and intend to make a return visit when I can book some more time off work.

Have lived in the UK all my life, and am seriously ****** off with the way things are heading in the UK.

Can anyone advise - is it worth looking at SA as a place to live - or are my specs really rose tinted ( or I could just be a prat )

Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:52 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Hi

If you have read the threads on here

Do you still want an answer to your "prat" question

Here's a suggestion

Get some paper & a pen

Write down what you don't like about the UK on one side of a sheet, on the other side write down what SA has to offer that attracts you

Post the answers up here if you would like some input.

PS: Have you read the introduction section, it will give you a good idea of why people left SA

Would also be a good idea to offer some background on you if you are actually serious about this
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Fave place was kruger area - very laid back

Least fave was Joburg (no surprises there then)

Hope to do a spot of whale watching next time - do they have whales in Spain ??:
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:36 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Fave place was kruger area - very laid back

Least fave was Joburg (no surprises there then)

Hope to do a spot of whale watching next time - do they have whales in Spain ??:
what are the chances of you finding work in the Kruger area

BTW, what work do you do ?

I believe the best place for whale watching is Canada

a lot safer than SA

BTW Mpumalanga ( Kruger) has a lot of muders etc, not so laid back

Last edited by Campbells; Mar 11th 2008 at 8:57 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Worn out warning, that's for sure!!

Simply ask yourself this, do you know anyone in the UK who's been raped/hijacked/beaten/shot/shot at/shot over/held at gunpoint/fired a gun/caught in a bank robbery/stabbed/murdered/mugged/ironed (strange, but true)? Bear in mind, most of which commonly occur inside your own home and garden, your own sanctuary, the place where you should feel most safe in the world.

Well most of this forum does, for some of us it was our families and ourselves that got hurt and traumatised. Anyway, 'nuff said about that.

Compare that to the most (negatively) dramatic things to happen in our family since coming back to Europe (9 years, mind): a fender bender, a very elderly relative passing... I could go on but it's very boring but Yipee-ki-ay to the calm and peace, it leaves much more hours in the day for enjoying and living as opposed to doing the 360 24-7.

P.S. Whales in Spain, oh yeah; CDS, straits of Gibraltar.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Book Hermanus in to your next holiday then

Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

lizzibeth is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm planning to move to move to SA sometime in the next 12 to 18 months. I've already spent over 18 months in the area around Port Elizabeth so I do know what I'm going to. If it's what you want then don't let others put you off, just make sure you do your research first. I'm job hunting at the moment and planning to apply for one of the quota work permits that have been released.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lizzibeth
I'm planning to move to move to SA sometime in the next 12 to 18 months. I've already spent over 18 months in the area around Port Elizabeth so I do know what I'm going to. If it's what you want then don't let others put you off, just make sure you do your research first. I'm job hunting at the moment and planning to apply for one of the quota work permits that have been released.
Hi

Sounds awesome

Maybe you could post an introduction and share with the other members what profession you are in.

Did you work in SA for 18 months, if so what profession and how did you do that without a permit ?

Look forward to your intro

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

lizzibeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi campbells

I'm a science teacher (they have a shortage in SA just like the rest of the world). I took a career break in 2005 to go do some voluntary work over there in conservation. Fell in love with the place and didn't want to leave. I've been back five times now, staying for two to three months at a time. I have a much better quality of life in SA, the people are so friendly. I went over with a backpack knowing no one. Now I would say my best friends are over there and I can't wait to join them on a more permanent basis. I found out about the quota work permits for teachers, got in touch with a teaching recruitment company and now I'm just beginning the process of getting all my paperwork sorted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.