Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Mugabe's latest poisonous rant.

Mugabe's latest poisonous rant.

Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mugabe's latest poisonous rant.

Originally Posted by paulry
That I classify people's nationalities according to their colour.
Well exactly.

I thought it was daft myself.

Nevertheless, there it is. The people with "brown faces" on the bus caused you to lament excessive immigration to the UK, presumably without having spoken to them to find out their nationalities. And then there was your statement of "Mad Bob's already killed or driven away most of the whites - along with millions of his black countrymen and women".

If you don't, in fact, think it's possible to detect nationality from skin colour, then you should be more careful how you write, and possibly even think.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 2:29 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well exactly.

I thought it was daft myself.

Nevertheless, there it is. The people with "brown faces" on the bus caused you to lament excessive immigration to the UK, presumably without having spoken to them to find out their nationalities. And then there was your statement of "Mad Bob's already killed or driven away most of the whites - along with millions of his black countrymen and women".

If you don't, in fact, think it's possible to detect nationality from skin colour, then you should be more careful how you write, and possibly even think.
Your argument is indeed a daft one which once again is as weak as nats piss, else you wouldn't have felt the need to refer back to an embellished ("brown faces") version of the bus argument that we had way back in 2009. That by the way was yet another fine example of political correctness being deployed to stifle reasonable discussion about valid concerns.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 1:19 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

This is like watching 2 bald men fighting over a comb.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 2:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
This is like watching 2 bald men fighting over a comb.
You're right, it was a complete waste of time and achieved nothing.
Old May 8th 2015, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Paul Hwingwiri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
I said "helped put him in power" and Mugabe never accepted the whites as his countrymen. From the day he became premier, whites were at best tolerated provided they stayed out of politics. You really should try reading up about the Rhodesia to Zimababwe story. You might learn something from it.

Would you say Zimbabwe is a better place to live now that Mugabe is at the helm?
Zim aint faring better now than before
Old May 10th 2015, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Only the SERIOUSLY stupid and poorly-informed could take this website at face value. Of course the world is full of stupid and poorly informed people.

Zimbabwe is not a place to be, but this website is just cuckoo.

If the whites in Rhodesia had been a bit smarter it could have worked out differently.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Sid Read is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian Smith was too thick to be PM. I have no idea how he conned the people of Rhodesia into UDI if they weren't as thick & xenophobic as he was!

I've studied & read a lot about the war. I reckon that the reason the Rhodies lost is because they failed to aid black civilians who aided them, but they punished severely those who aided the "terrorists". This alienated a black population that was broadly supportive of Rhodesia at first. Once the rural Africans had been suitably alienated the terrs found it much easier to move around the country using the population as cover. Rhodesia lost the war because it was riddled with racism, a fact I doubt many would argue.

Then after independence the whites refused to adjust to the new political landscape & refused to engage socially or economically. They fought to maintain their life-style & mindset. They were not open to reconciliation. If they stayed kept their racist ideology & supremacism & if they left they took it with them. Those departing also took their know-how & resources, draining the country of skills & finance. They left not because they did not love Zimbabwe, they left because they did not wish to see black Zimbabwe become a success, they wanted Zimbabwe to fail.

I doubt it's a coincidence that the Zimbabwe economy has shrunk by 90% in the same amount of time it's taken the white populations to shrink a similar percentage.

Last edited by Sid Read; Aug 25th 2015 at 8:28 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your point of view Sid, although I don't agree with it. I was also there during those years before it all fell apart in the 70's. In my opinion, once the UK had decided that it would be better to get Rhodesia out of its hair, the whites there had no chance of continuing in power, when they were up against all the communist assistance that the terrs were receiving. During my times in the army, I was in charge of protected villages, which showed that the whites fid at least do something to help out the poor locals that were trying to resist the terrs.
Out of interest, and I know it's always easy to look back and criticise, but what would you have done knowing that you no longer had the support of the UK?
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Sid Read is an unknown quantity at this point

Hindsight is always 20/20, I agree.

Basically, if I had been involved in policy making during the years when the war was hotting up I'd have encouraged much more engagement & investment in the rural population. Racist doctrine meant that even when the Rhodesian forces were helped by the locals they did nothing in return. In fact, often the exact opposite.

Here's a story I heard last night on a youtube doc on Rhodesia recounted by Sir Garfield Todd. He described an incident where a group of terrs turned up at a village & the headman snuck away to tell the Rhodie soldiers about it because he knew that if the soldiers found out his village had fed & watered the terrs they'd ship the whole village to what were little more than internment camps (or "protected villages" as they were called).

The headman took some time to walk to the soldiers, who kept him overnight while they sent a patrol to the village. The patrol found no terrs because they ahd eaten & left but they arbitrarily shot & killed a couple of villagers anyway, as punishment for collaberating. When the headman returned the villagers killed him in return for sneaking off & telling on them. Todd said this was just one example of hundreds that were occurring all the time during the war years that were completely undermining the war effort. No-one in the Rhodesian regime appeared to be paying any attention to him, perhaps because he was British.

If, instead of killing innocent villagers or hounding them into concentration camps the government had supported & engaged with rural people it might have taken longer for the enemy to infiltrate as deeply as they did giving the government more time to establish the country-wide infrastructure needed to take & hold ground. The Rhodesians worked their strategy around their resources which, although hi-tech compared to the insurgents, were hardly huge. This meant using the "fire-force" technique of attacking suddenly by air but then leaving the ground to be re-invaded. The same strategy failed for the Americans in Vietnam for the same reasons, the Americans alienated the South Vietnamese population & the insurgents moved amongst them.

The war in Rhodesia failed because the support of the population for the freedom fighters was increasing exponentially with every year as they became more & more disenfranchised by Rhodie culture & government policy.

Post independence, if white society had developed a more inclusive attitude to building a nation where the wealth, expertise, land & resources were shared & hadn't deserted the country & developed a strategy to discredit & destabilise it from abroad, the collapse might have been slower or even arrested.

Of course, Mugabe hardly helped. A good leader in war is not always a good leader out of war. Mugabe did lead a war that won him the country.

Who knows. We are where we are now. All we can do is go from here.