Reload this Page >

Moving to South Africa want to keep job in UK

Moving to South Africa want to keep job in UK

Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

malald is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to South Africa want to keep job in UK

HI,
I am moving to South Africa due to famliy commitments but I want to keep my job in the UK. I do a fair amount of work from home and I know I can do it my job remotley. So now I need to put a propsal together for my company outlying all the possiblities, costs involved, tax implications. This would be a first for the company should they accept my proposal but I dont really know where to start with it.

I need to know the benefits of them paying into a SA bank account vs a UK bank account and what about tax/national insurance. Is it allowed to be paid and work as if I was in the UK but not be here? so many questions. Would I then pay tax on the money when I bring it into SA. Whats the best way to bring the money into SA.

Has anyone done this before/ or currently doing it.

Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to South Africa want to keep job in UK

Originally Posted by malald
HI,
I am moving to South Africa due to famliy commitments but I want to keep my job in the UK. I do a fair amount of work from home and I know I can do it my job remotley. So now I need to put a propsal together for my company outlying all the possiblities, costs involved, tax implications. This would be a first for the company should they accept my proposal but I dont really know where to start with it.
I need to know the benefits of them paying into a SA bank account vs a UK bank account and what about tax/national insurance. Is it allowed to be paid and work as if I was in the UK but not be here? so many questions. Would I then pay tax on the money when I bring it into SA. Whats the best way to bring the money into SA.
1. I assume you have SA citizenship or permanent residence.

2. You will either be resident for tax purposes in the UK, or resident for tax purproses in SA. Depending on where you are deemed resident for tax purposes, you will pay tax in that country on your worldwide income.

3. There are no benefits to paying into a SA bank account versus a UK account. It is merely more troublesome and expensive for your UK employer.

4. The best way to bring money into SA is by electronic bank transfer.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Hi,
You will be liable for the tax, in the country that you were working when you earned.
So if you were in CPT and working for a UK company, you will be liable for SA tax.
My house is in UK, and my apartment is in Norway.
I am Br. and working in Norway, so pay Norway tax.
I plan to give up the UK house, and buy another in CPT.
I can also work remote, as I do at the moment, by having ' home office ' in UK.
The thing is, when I move back to SA, 'home office ' is just a bit further away ! and instaed of going every few weeks, I will be more limited.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Graham, are you taking a Corvette back?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

In the cases of the UK and SA, you are liable for tax on your worldwide income in the country where you are deemed to be tax resident.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Daxk
Graham, are you taking a Corvette back?
Hi Daxk,
Naw, sold it recently and bought a Land Cruiser.
The Corvette I bought when I was working in Houston.
Brought it back to the UK, but it drew too much attention.
Beautiful car, but paranoid about parking it anywhere.
So, the 'Cruiser does it for me.
Driving that back !
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

,just wondered, SA is one place where at least you have the Roads for a V8 and unless they have a buyer is less likely to be hi-jacked.
I did about 4000ks in my 35 year old Coupe when I visited in 2005,not a traffic cop that did'nt want to be bought.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Daxk,
Unfortunatly, it's not the guzzler V8.
It's the 3.0 L D4-d turbo diesel.
Puts 174 bhp @ 305 Nm.
8 seater, and reliable.
Yes, I know about the cops, speaking to a load of old buddies still there in CPT, and they are telling me, that some of them can't be bought anymore.
Well, Iv'e not needed that yet.
I was however pulled out of my car when I was about 19 YO.
Dicing at the lights.
Stopped at the next lights and this big boer cop comes out of no where, an pulls me out of the open drivers side window.
I kid you not.!
he huiked me right out and left me in a pile on the road !
Those was the days !
At least no money changed hands, and no ticket issued. Just a good klap around the head, and a severe talking to.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi,
I plan to give up the UK house, and buy another in CPT.
How about buying a house in a beautiful secure upmarket estate in ruimsig, jhb.??
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually, don't want to offend any one, but I don't like Jo'burg.
We have friends and relatives there, and I try to go as least as possible, for as short as possible.
Each to their own though.
So please, don't start diggin' at me just 'cos I don't like Jo'burg.
For earning the pennies, Jo'burg is streets ahead of CPT.

It's just that when I get back to CPT, I won't be looking for a job anytime soon.
I do a few jobs for my mates who are into aircon & refrig.
When he gets stuck some times I lend him a hand.
Apart from that, I will be found relaxing, chillin' on some of the worlds best beaches.
Catchin' the waves, and generally being a beach lay-a-bout!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its ok Vette, I prefer older Rusted wrecks that I can rebuild
This one took 3 years sofar and will never be perfect

http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/...175314/detail/

Last edited by Daxk; Nov 21st 2008 at 8:35 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Actually, don't want to offend any one, but I don't like Jo'burg.
We have friends and relatives there, and I try to go as least as possible, for as short as possible.
Each to their own though.
So please, don't start diggin' at me just 'cos I don't like Jo'burg.
For earning the pennies, Jo'burg is streets ahead of CPT.
No problem uk_vette, was worth a shot....trying to sell up and get out of SA asap...we're working on Plan B now, advertising with international realtors as a 'corporate furnished rental'..maybe, that way we'll have a bit more luck
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
No problem uk_vette, was worth a shot....trying to sell up and get out of SA asap...we're working on Plan B now, advertising with international realtors as a 'corporate furnished rental'..maybe, that way we'll have a bit more luck
If I were you, Auds, I'd cut the price and get it off your hands. Either that or keep it long term, rent it out as you mention, and hope for the best. Things are going to get worse before they get better, both in terms of rand exchange rates and property values. Sorry to hear you still haven't sold.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

House prices are dropping fast in CPT, and I would imagine this will spread through the whole, or the most of SA.

My son in law, my daughter and their 3 kids, all live in our house with us in UK.
They moved from CPT 6 years ago, when they realised, it was tough working and saving for a deposit for a house in CPT.
Saved themselves a huge wad of cash, to buy in CPT when the time is right.
The have lived with us for 6 years or so now, and him and the daughter have had a few trips back to be looking at houses.
They were very interested in a house in Goodwood in February, earlier this year.
The seller wanter R950k and my daughter offered R800, which was turned down.
The house was still on the market, and they recently made another offer of R650k, which was accepted.
I suggested to the pair of them, not to jump in and buy just yet. So the phoned a few days later and said, thanks but change of plans.
The seller called my daughter and husband last week, 'you can have it for R600k if you want'
They are thinking about it, but in no hurry.
They may even start looking at other properties, that 9 months ago were so much out of their price range, it just wasn't funny.
Now they are all available.
I have an idea that if they wanted the first house, then an offer of R500k would buy it at the moment.
There are some very worried home owners in SA, they have borrowed over their heads, and now sit with no job, and the banks knocking on the door.
Some people are just so desperate.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

House prices are dropping fast in CPT, and I would imagine this will spread through the whole, or the most of SA.

My son in law, my daughter and their 3 kids, all live in our house with us in UK.
They moved from CPT 6 years ago, when they realised, it was tough working and saving for a deposit for a house in CPT.
Saved themselves a huge wad of cash, to buy in CPT when the time is right.
The have lived with us for 6 years or so now, and him and the daughter have had a few trips back to be looking at houses.
They were very interested in a house in Goodwood in February, earlier this year.
The seller wanter R950k and my daughter offered R800, which was turned down.
The house was still on the market, and they recently made another offer of R650k, which was accepted.
I suggested to the pair of them, not to jump in and buy just yet. So the phoned a few days later and said, thanks but change of plans.
The seller called my daughter and husband last week, 'you can have it for R600k if you want'
They are thinking about it, but in no hurry.
They may even start looking at other properties, that 9 months ago were so much out of their price range, it just wasn't funny.
Now they are all available.
I have an idea that if they wanted the first house, then an offer of R500k would buy it at the moment.
There are some very worried home owners in SA, they have borrowed over their heads, and now sit with no job, and the banks knocking on the door.
Some people are just so desperate.
The property markets are in pretty much the same state world wide, however, I think 'some people are just so desperate' more so in SA coz they all want to get out of the country!! With the mass exodus that is going on here at the moment, the property market is saturated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.