moving to SA

Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

dave pearson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to SA

Originally Posted by NTS
Hi Dave, How long are you thinking of moving for. A permanent move or just a couple of years? Or just enough time for the world cup!
looking for a permanent move.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave pearson
looking for a permanent move.
Truthfully, I wouldn't move there if I had a family. Not worth the hassle and aggravation that will come your way.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:09 am
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Truthfully, I wouldn't move there if I had a family. Not worth the hassle and aggravation that will come your way.
Hi Dave,

I have been here for 2 years and loved it. I would not discourage any one to do the same (as long as they are aware and careful), but I do not see the long term security in South Africa. The more I read the more I think it is not a place for a long term move.

Just my opinion, Mny other Brits have moved here and love it and would not move back.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NTS
Many other Brits have moved here and love it and would not move back.
I have heard so many Brits now back in Britain who have said that.

Pablo
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:35 am

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pablo
I have heard so many Brits now back in Britain who have said that.

Pablo
I agree. Every single person we know who moved back to SA, because they were missing family and friends, are now either back in the UK or have gone to Aus or New Zealand.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:39 am

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave pearson
Thanks for all the input.must admit to having reservations about any move,just totally fed up with the uk.somebody mentioned new zealand the other day.supposed to be good place to raise a family.
I know what you mean. We've been in the UK for 6 years now and the weather is really getting to me. We're currently in the process of applying to go to Australia. Not even one of our friends who moved there have said that they regret it or want to come back to the UK.

SA is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been too, but it doesn't help you live in paradise and have to look over your shoulder and always be aware of the possibility of being mugged/highjacked/having your house robbed etc. I wish I could be more positive, but I came back from our holiday there in February feeling like I need a holiday. We were all really stressed out from things that had happened to us and that we had seen.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by NTS
Hi Dave,

I have been here for 2 years and loved it. I would not discourage any one to do the same (as long as they are aware and careful), but I do not see the long term security in South Africa. The more I read the more I think it is not a place for a long term move.

Just my opinion, Mny other Brits have moved here and love it and would not move back.
I personally know many who have moved back to Europe - Brits, Dutch, French over the years.

It is different moving there as a retiree or childless couple/single, and moving there with a family.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kitten24
I know what you mean. We've been in the UK for 6 years now and the weather is really getting to me. We're currently in the process of applying to go to Australia. Not even one of our friends who moved there have said that they regret it or want to come back to the UK.

SA is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been too, but it doesn't help you live in paradise and have to look over your shoulder and always be aware of the possibility of being mugged/highjacked/having your house robbed etc. I wish I could be more positive, but I came back from our holiday there in February feeling like I need a holiday. We were all really stressed out from things that had happened to us and that we had seen.

many thanks to everyone who responded,much appreciated.not sure what to do.know my wife would like to be near her family,but having the constant worry of crime(especially the gun culture)would be very stressful.what a shame.it's such a beautiful country.never fancied australia,canada too cold for my wife,new zealand keeps raising it's head but have no contact's there.we'll have to give it some more thought.regards to all,Dave.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ex-pat Brit living in (apparently) the most violent province in SA.

Loving it. All smoke and mirrors, this crime thing.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi 6000,glad to hear a positive response.Were looking at moving to jo'burg because my wife has family there.Have been to cape town on a visit and loved it although the areas we liked were well out of our price range.Did you move with your family?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Cosmos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I moved to SA 6 weeks ago. My husband is SA citizen and I applied for spousal visa in the UK - it took about 18 months to come through, according to our agent we were 'pretty quick'.

Bear in mind that if you come on a temporary visa, you won't be able to work unless your company sponsors you. I don't know what you do but if its an everyday job they probably won't want to. Most people avoid having to deal with home affairs and I don't blame them!

Even though I am now a PR, it will take aother 6 months or so to get a non citizen ID book, until then I can't open a bank account, buy a car in my name, get an SA driving licence etc etc...

At the moment, I'm liking it here though, lovely warm winter, blue skies, friendly people, cheap wine. Got a job within a month - pay is rubbish but great company and lots of prospects, including International if we decide not to stay.

Good luck!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

thanks ill give him a shot. thought about forgetting to mention it but thought that would have adverse effects on finding work?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL you do not understnd the new S.A then?

If you are white you have very little chance. Either start your own bizz (pain in the backside Aff. Action) or be prepared for low paid work. Enjoy!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:22 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitten24

To add to yours and Pablo's points.

My OH's family emigrated from Yorkshire to Jo'burg 1981 with three children. Had a lovely time and many happy years but by 2001 they had had enough of the crime, economy and instability with regards long term prospects.

MIL and FIL back in UK awaiting to come to Australia
SIL in Perth, WA
OH and me in Melbourne.
BIL and SIL still in Jo'burg with application into Canada.

OH's closest childhood friend arrived in Melbourne 2006.
Other close friends arrived in Brisbane and Auckland from Joburg via London 2007.
OH's best friend Bob left Joburg for London arrives Sydney November 2007.
OH's other best friend Sean left Joburg for London arrives Auckland August 2007.

We heard the other day that other friends have their application to Oz in also.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Buney is a jewel in the roughBuney is a jewel in the roughBuney is a jewel in the roughBuney is a jewel in the roughBuney is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SW00SH
Any help please. moving to SA from UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks , just wondering if any one had any words of wisdom?? im a uk resiedent and want to move to south africa as the girl friend is from there and her visa has run out so she must return to her home land.!!:sad_smile.

i want to go out there and and live , so i would be taking advantage of the three month visa. more than likely i would want to stay on in SA. would i be able to apply for a work permit over there or would i have to come back to the uk to apply for it? and which would be the easyier to obtain there or here.

any help would be very much appriecated.

many thanks

swoosh
It'll be the best thing you could ever do ! It's got everything !
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buney
It'll be the best thing you could ever do ! It's got everything !
How long have you lived there Buney?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.