Moving to Nairobi

Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Edgarjessop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Nairobi

I'm in discussion about a job that, if I take it, would mean moving to Nairobi. I've travelled plenty, though not within Africa, and I'm in my 50s with kids who no longer live at home. My wife 'might' come with me, or may stay behind to keep a base for us back in UK.

I've read a bit about Nairobi and gather it's a bit Dodge City, with real no-go areas in the NE of the country near Somalia. This concerns me, as I don't see that attractions of living in a gated and barred compound and never being able to to go out without expecting to be robbed. Perhaps this is a bit of an exaggeration but for me, being mugged once is once too much.

So what's life like over there? Is there a social scene among expats, what are the prospects for getting out without needing an organised tour or driver, and what sort of life might my wife expect if she were to come over with me?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

meupu2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Nairobi

well I dont live in nairobi but have travelled there several times. Its not a safe city at night, although the main town centre is not bad. As everywhere use common sense , carry only what you need. I do walk around alone in the day times and use matatus, cheap public transport. But night times taxis or stay home. Nairobi is not a particularly cheap city, so use some consideration re salary offers etc.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I spent two years working in Nairobi and have been married for over 10 years to a Kikuyu. We are spending several weeks in Nairobi this coming June-July, as we often visit summertime to escape the oppressive Middle East heat. What sort of job are you considering and do they offer good furnished accommodation? Secure housing is very expensive with a decent 2-bed apartment in the leafy suburbs costing up to Kshs 175,000 per month. Do bear that in mind when considering the salary package.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

care4you is an unknown quantity at this point

In Nairobi there many Brits who work or have settled in kenya. The best thing is to get contacts with British parents of your level especially with Children. When your children will start there school at Nairobi,you will come across many Brits or even other expats in that school. Where you will collect more information from them things you would like to know. especially at Brits schools or any international schools. These how for me I have experienced when I came here in Netherland. When the children got to school I came to Learn more people through my children. It doesnt have to be a Brit either because sometime you will meet somebody totaally with different mentality as you have.

All the best and Succes

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 9th 2020 at 10:30 am. Reason: Advert removed