Moving to Cape Town

Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

deewilluk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Cape Town

hi all,

after careful consideration, we have decided to stay put in UK. Partly due to OH having not so good health, and a lot to do with opinions on this page (good and bad, but mostly very negative). I can only hope that in years to come, we look back and not regret our decision.

Thanks to all.

dee
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by deewilluk
hi all,

after careful consideration, we have decided to stay put in UK. Partly due to OH having not so good health, and a lot to do with opinions on this page (good and bad, but mostly very negative). I can only hope that in years to come, we look back and not regret our decision.

Thanks to all.

dee
For the time being I think you are making the right decision, 1000's of people are making plans to get out of SA right now, perhaps that in years to come SA will once again be a wonderful place to settle, but at the moment it really isn't, and personally I don't think it will be even by the time my childrens' children are born (and my kids are still young).
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Redersdorf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deewilluk
Hi all,

My family has been offered a move to Cape Town in June 2008 and I'm looking for a bit of help here.

We have 2 boys of 7 and 5 and have looked at the following schools.

International School of Cape Town
Parkland College & Christopher Wren Prep School
Elkanah House

My OH will be working at Century City and I think that Parklands and Elkanah are closer, but I am thinking more about ISCT as if we have to move on with OH's work, the kids will carry on with the UK curriculum. Any recommendations please?

Also, housing help needed. If we go with ISCT option, we have looked at Wynberg, Claremont, Kenilworth, Newlands, and Pinelands. Can anyone recommend which areas will be good for a family and how long the drive to Century City is please? (We have also looked at the Milnerton area but we are not sure if it is too long a drive to ISCT).

One last question. My OH will have to do a fair bit of travelling around Africa with his work and I wondered if there are any gated communities in these areas mentioned above. After reading a lot of threads, personal safety is very important to me.

Very much looking for all advise and a move to hopefully a v ery fullfilling new life for our family!

Thanks
Hi!

Okay I live in Milnerton, have a daughter at ISCT. Ive been doing the mornings drops and afternoon pickups and it is tough - its 3 hours in total driving a day - expect to pay 500R a week on fuel. After care only goes till 5pm so if you working near Milnternon getting there for 5pm is going be tough. We are actually looking at possibly moving our daughter to Blouberg or Parklands next term (High School Term 1). Until then though if your children are now at ISCT and your near Milnerton and making that trip and so are we maybe we can share the load of the school runs and the cost!

Laura