Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

Old Jul 2nd 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

I'm surprised that this got past all those Daily Mail readers out there without comment. UK 1st most violent country, SA comes in a distant third.

Have cancelled plans for next years holiday back home, think I'll do the world cup instead. (busy contacting me rellies and advising them to flee).
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:16 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U

As I posted on another forum, from what I know of the UK and what I've heard about SA on here and other forums ..... a violent crime in the UK might mean you getting a bit of a kicking on Saturday night because you stared at someone elses woman, whereas in SA its more likely to be getting your head blown off on your drive for the sake of a mobile phone or watching your wife and daughter being raped in front of you before you are stabbed to death ......... or do I have the wrong impression?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U

totally Correct impression,Mitzyboy, as outlined by the UK Police Chief.
but then Stanley10 will grasp at any straws, I wonder which SA Crime Stats they used?
the SA ones are now 18 months overdue and will only come out in September.("may be released")

Talking to friends who still volunteer at the rape crisis centre and POWA, they tell me they are inundated and that the victims report unless they know who the rapist is the Police are telling them they will never find them so why bother filing a report.
But I suppose thats hearsay from People I trust.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually,in similar vein, I assume that as drink driving law is'nt enforced in SA and you cant slip a UK bobby R50 that the UK has far more drunken drivers than SA?
Had to smile at the crowd shots at the Loftus rugby game, the entire crowd seemed to have 500ml cups of beer in their hands, have'nt seen that in the UK stadium shots?
Are you allowed to drink at Sports events in the UK?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough

I believe that a lot of crime in South Africa is no longer reported as there is nothing they can do about it. There is just too much crime.

Having lived in Johannesburg, South Africa and in England. I felt safer in England and dared to walk around the streets alone. Something I wouldnt dare do in Johannesburg. I love both countries btw!

Saying that though, I can see why Britain is coming up on top of the list, there are very violent crimes being reported in the papers... beatings, bashings, stabbings etc.

I hope changes are made.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stanley10

I'm surprised that this got past all those Daily Mail readers out there without comment. UK 1st most violent country, SA comes in a distant third.

Have cancelled plans for next years holiday back home, think I'll do the world cup instead. (busy contacting me rellies and advising them to flee).

You can fool all of the people some of the time...

Take it with a peppercorn... it's a load of tosh!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As I posted on another forum, from what I know of the UK and what I've heard about SA on here and other forums ..... a violent crime in the UK might mean you getting a bit of a kicking on Saturday night because you stared at someone elses woman, whereas in SA its more likely to be getting your head blown off on your drive for the sake of a mobile phone or watching your wife and daughter being raped in front of you before you are stabbed to death ......... or do I have the wrong impression?
Spot on. 100% correct. Very sad.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 1:35 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

You don't understand, our poor Stanley is desperately grasping at straws.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Uitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant future

If you are the victim of, serious or trivial, crime in the UK. You report it, you get compensation, and the police often catch the criminal

If you are the victim of crime in the, and you report it. You get nothing. When the police eventually come round they help themselves to any items the criminal may have missed.

This may be why there are frequent reports of crime in the UK.

Also, the murder rate in SA is over 20,00 per year, but less than 1,000 in the UK

Best to cancel the World cup visit to SA.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Violent crime in the UK can also mean being stabbed to death for not showing "respect", or being shot and killed in a pub parking lot for no particular reason. And in SA violent crime can also be a bit of a "kicking on Saturday night" as you put it
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
You don't understand, our poor Stanley is desperately grasping at straws.
Poor Stanley?
Not really clutching at straws at all Tegs, surely if its in the Daily Mail it must be true.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Violent crime in the UK can also mean being stabbed to death for not showing "respect", or being shot and killed in a pub parking lot for no particular reason. And in SA violent crime can also be a bit of a "kicking on Saturday night" as you put it
Oh OK ... for sure

So exactly how many murders are there in SA pro rata per year against figures in the UK then?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:08 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Stanley?
Not really clutching at straws at all Tegs, surely if its in the Daily Mail it must be true.
Poor lad, it's got to hurt.......
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:17 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Most international crime stats are hard to compare - depends upon the amount of crime reporting that goes on and the definitions of certain crimes.

One of the more reliable stats would probably be homicide as it will have a high reporting rate and the definition will be broadly similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_rate
http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-...s-05012009.pdf

These seem to indicate that SA is 20-30 times worse than the UK.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh OK ... for sure

So exactly how many murders are there in SA pro rata per year against figures in the UK then?
I have no doubt that the number of murders in SA exceed those of the UK by far, both in absolute and relative numbers. I guess the Daily Mail must have got it wrong.