Mixed Race in SA?

Old May 6th 2005, 11:21 am
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of
Default Mixed Race in SA?

I'm just curious as to how people of a mixed race (Black and White) background are regarded in South Africa? For example, my mother is from Cape Verde (West Africa) and my father was Swedish. I'm just thinking of visiting a friend there for a couple of weeks, I'm not relocating or anything.

-Becs

Last edited by Becs; May 6th 2005 at 11:25 am.
Old May 6th 2005, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mixed Race in SA?

This is a very difficult question to give you an accurate answer on.
Of the 44 Million people,

Black 76 per cent
White 13 per cent
Mixed 9 per cent
Indian 2 per cent

Languages 11 official languages: Afrikaans and English (European origin); Zulu, Xhosa, siSwati, and Ndebele (Nguni language group); Southern Sotho, Northern Sotho, and Tswana (Sotho language group); Tsonga; and Venda.
This data is a good 3 years old.
As you may be aware there were laws until 12 years ago against inter racial marraiges, sex etc. Since the changes it has become more acceptable to have mixed race families.

The interesting part is that even amongst black tribes inter tribe mixing is not that wide spread. The indians are broken into groups by religious beliefs, 3 or more groups.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Becs
I'm just curious as to how people of a mixed race (Black and White) background are regarded in South Africa? For example, my mother is from Cape Verde (West Africa) and my father was Swedish. I'm just thinking of visiting a friend there for a couple of weeks, I'm not relocating or anything.

-Becs
You'll have absolutely no problem
Old May 6th 2005, 8:58 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

-Becs
There should be no problems at all on the mixed race thing.....just keep your ears, eyes and mind open to any other possible problems which may arise.
Old May 7th 2005, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Yes. You will have no problems. just be wary where or if you go in the cities.
If you are visiting someone they will know the ropes anyway
What part of SA you going to visit?
Get a game park visit in if you can.
Old May 7th 2005, 10:23 am
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Cheers everyone

I think my friend lives just outside Pretoria..and I'll definitely be visiting a game park!

Thank you all, once again.

-Becs
Old May 7th 2005, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Cheers everyone

I think my friend lives just outside Pretoria..and I'll definitely be visiting a game park!

Thank you all, once again.

-Becs
When are you going over? If in winter, take some really warm clothing, as it gets pretty cold there at night. Be sure to have some Nando's chicken for me
Old May 7th 2005, 7:40 pm
Desert spaces

Originally Posted by izibear
When are you going over? If in winter, take some really warm clothing, as it gets pretty cold there at night. Be sure to have some Nando's chicken for me
Hiya,

I'm planning on going before next summer, though I've not really set a date yet. I need to make some money first..or it looks like I'll be paddling down on a raft

Have you lived over there?

We have Nando's here in the UK too, I think. Love their sauces

-Becs
Old May 7th 2005, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

I lived there for 40 years, now in Queensland Australia.
Funny about how Nandos keeps getting mentioned. They are here in Melbourne and Brisbane as well. I remember going to the first one some 23 years ago. A guy in electronics of Portugese descent and another fellow. Next thing they were popping up everywhere! Best cure for a babalas! : ) . Oops RSA word for hangover of immense proportions! Especially the extra hot.
It was a bit sad when they changed the ownership in South Africa to Nando owned as opposed to the 51% Nando and 49% franchisee arangement because the quality went down. But the ones here are pretty good.

Pretoria is very pretty in spring with all the Jakaranda trees in bloom in the city. Sun City is Ok for a visit, and uChakamarina is apparently great.
http://durban.kzn.org.za/durban/about/67.html
Capetown wine routes. My favorite winery is Neetlingshof
Old May 8th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Becs you'll be fine, just be careful.

The best wines are at Merlot in Franchoek, Cape Province <grin to sa2oz> But since you will be going to the other end of the country, try some "Mampoer" instead - it's strong like schnaps :-)
Old May 8th 2005, 1:59 pm
Desert spaces

I think the founder of Nando's is from Mocambique or something like that? I prefer the mild sauces, I inherited my father's northern European intolerance of spicy foods Or it may just be that I'm a wimp, lol.

I've been curious about what SA is like now since reading lots of JM Coetzee and André Brink. They don't perhaps provide the most flattering view though. I just want to see for myself, really.

The marine centre looks great. I'd love to explore some of the countryside too. I'm not much of a drinker, but I'm sure I can be converted

-Becs
Old May 8th 2005, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

I think the founder of Nando's is from Mocambique or something like that? I prefer the mild sauces, I inherited my father's northern European intolerance of spicy foods Or it may just be that I'm a wimp, lol.

I've been curious about what SA is like now since reading lots of JM Coetzee and André Brink. They don't perhaps provide the most flattering view though. I just want to see for myself, really.

The marine centre looks great. I'd love to explore some of the countryside too. I'm not much of a drinker, but I'm sure I can be converted

-Becs
The original place was in 'Little Portugal' in Johannesburg, and it was called Fernando's Chickenland, a tiny little hole in the wall place run by a husband and wife team. You would call in your order, go down about an hour later, take a ticket, wait in a queue for another hour or so, before you could pick up your chicken (early 80's memories ). It is that good. It is based on the Mozambican way of cooking it. It was bought out by a Port. fella and his Jewish work colleague, who took it global. Unfortunately, and much to all South Africans' living here's collective dismay, they've not found a way to enter the market here in the US, though it is extremely popular in Canada. We can get the sauces though..thankfully

I lived outside Pta for many years, and like someone mentioned, the very best time to see the city is in spring, it is absolutely beautiful. Try to take in the Hartebeespoort Dam; it is gorgeous with the jacarandas blooming all the way up the mountain.

Btw. Nando's comes in mild or lemon too

Last edited by izibear; May 8th 2005 at 4:04 pm.
Old May 10th 2005, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Mixed Race in SA?

I met Fernando of Fernando's Chickenland, and the Portugese fella and his Jewish work colleague, who took it global. They were Electronics technicians like me. I met them through other Portuge guys who bought franchises.

Try to take in the Hartebeespoort Dam; it is gorgeous with the jacarandas blooming all the way up the mountain. ( Go a bit further to the gliding club and take a glider flight. Soar with the vultures and land and have a drink in the Magalies gliding club.

Nando's comes in mild or lemon too but best in EXTRA HOT
Old May 10th 2005, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sa2oz
I met Fernando of Fernando's Chickenland, and the Portugese fella and his Jewish work colleague, who took it global. They were Electronics technicians like me. I met them through other Portuge guys who bought franchises.

Try to take in the Hartebeespoort Dam; it is gorgeous with the jacarandas blooming all the way up the mountain. ( Go a bit further to the gliding club and take a glider flight. Soar with the vultures and land and have a drink in the Magalies gliding club.

Nando's comes in mild or lemon too but best in EXTRA HOT
Actually, meant to say Chickenland, before Fernando bought it out. The couple owned it before he did.

Hot? eish..only my bananaboy hubby eats it like that..being from Natal and all
Old May 11th 2005, 4:46 pm
Desert spaces

LOL I'm afraid even eating ketchup gives me heartburn, so I'll be staying away from anything which doesn't say 'for the wusses in the house'

Who would you all say is the most at risk in South Africa?

-Becs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.