Living in Zimbabwe

Old May 10th 2008, 12:40 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Zimbabwe

Originally Posted by Leigh of the Valley
So many insults, so little advice . Do I smell a hint of jealousy perhaps
LV you've seen through me ....

I admit, I'm so jealous, I desperately want to leave my island where my oh has a fabulous job, we have a beautiful house, wonderful lifestyle, fantastic relationship with the locals, leave our windows open night and day, leave the keys in the ignition of my car safe in the knowledge it wont be stolen, share great experiences - like this weekend at the Regatta - with all expats and locals at events where food is plentiful, alcohol flows and we party in the street all day.

you're right - I REALLY want to go to Zim, to live in a prison like fortress of a property, drive my anti-hyjacking equipped car through the streets of desperate poverty stricken nationals hoping that they dont pull a gun out and rob me or else I get stuck in the middle of a demonstration blodthirsty for retribution .... watching children and babies starve from food shortages whilst expats are chowing down on imported roast lamb .... lovely.

you are correct

I am terribly jealous

and not in any way trying to stop a naiive (I say this in a pleasant way - not a condescending one) sounding girl from making the biggest mistake of her life with the advice I can give.
Old May 10th 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Leigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandmom
LV you've seen through me ....

you're right - I REALLY want to go to Zim, to live in a prison like fortress of a property, drive my anti-hyjacking equipped car through the streets of desperate poverty stricken nationals hoping that they dont pull a gun out and rob me or else I get stuck in the middle of a demonstration blodthirsty for retribution .... watching children and babies starve from food shortages whilst expats are chowing down on imported roast lamb .... lovely.
No offence meant but have you ever lived in Zimbabwe?
Old May 10th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

sounds more like south africa, but whats your point?
Which of the following don't you agree with?:

Add:
Watch my life savings evaporate, medical care, insurances skyrocket, see the value of any cash in the bank disappear overnight each and every day, watch hospital care disintegrate, racism against whites, listen to nonsense that whites born there do not belong there....which of the above was worse during colonial rule?

Last edited by shiftdelete; May 10th 2008 at 4:46 pm. Reason: add:
Old May 10th 2008, 5:59 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
Watch my life savings evaporate, medical care, insurances skyrocket, see the value of any cash in the bank disappear overnight each and every day, watch hospital care disintegrate, racism against whites, listen to nonsense that whites born there do not belong there....which of the above was worse during colonial rule?
Yeah, but apart from all that it's great, innit!
Old May 10th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Arikara
i am only getting defensive because people are questioning my integrity. i am not for one moment belittling the situation in Zim, and no i have no idea what it is like to live as you have, which of course is why i am asking! i am just as happy to receive the negative advice as well as the positive advice so long as its constructive and not demening.
Hi, after reading the threads on this, I dont think anyone is really questioning your integrity.
Its just all very truthfully help and advise,
Its not just about living there, Its also about changing who you are to be able to live there.To drive down the rd and not stop at traffic lights with out being on your guard, To watch children selling them selves for as little as a meal, To understand there difference in tribal ways, You are white and british, something at the moment, That the goverment are blaming for there current situation, Volatile is not even the correct word here, Knife edge more like (machete knife that is ). Also be aware if the country went up, your partner as much as he cared and loved you, he would not be able to protect you, He would be over run by others that would not be to his western way of thinking. ( the rest we all know)
As you have said take a holiday there, I am sure you will love it, but keep your eyes wide open, Experience the armed guards at every shop ,garage, place of entertainment. Then ask your self is that what you really won't.

To the person who said jealousy

Good luck with your decision.
Old May 10th 2008, 7:32 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
To the person who said jealousy
I'm still trying to decipher the logic in that statement. Who could possibly be envious of living in a politically and economically devastated country?
Old May 10th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I'm still trying to decipher the logic in that statement. Who could possibly be envious of living in a politically and economically devastated country?
My thourghts,s to,
Sat and worked it out, From the people i know that have stayed living and working around south africa, Zim, angola, etc.
and i do know a quite a few, they are normally MEN, who are having a whale of a time with the house maid doing everything , local expats bars,
Then you do get the odd family that again the Man of the house has the final say, Or that can not give up the life style, being very selfish to wards there childrens future, in a lot of cases. Its very odd to find white children playing out, going to the local mall on the bus, walking home from school, looking ahead to a career in there country. coming of age going to night clubs, with out the fear of being raped or shot. All so the parents can have a big house great pool, maids, gardeners. Then as the dark comes in, down come the shutters, on goes the alarms, out comes the armed guards, thank god for armed response.
Africa is no doubt the most beautiful country in the world, But to live there as a family with young children in to days times,
Old May 10th 2008, 8:47 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

no offence taken and no I havent. I havent lived in Columbia either but I've seen enough about it to know exactly what problems the country faces.

I do have a vested interest in Zim - half my family is from SA and my cousins are still there up close and personal to the effects of Zim.

I wouldnt go live in SA either, much as I adore the place, and its 10 times, 100 times better than Zim.

c'mon LV - dont try and minimize what it is, thats just foolish and blinkered. Be truthful about the status of Zim and its citizens.

A once beautiful land .... brutally ruined by its own people in power.
Old May 11th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

hope not

Originally Posted by milly123
with the house maid doing everything
Old May 11th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
hope not
belive it
Old May 12th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite pointless. I live in SA and don't really want to leave, despite all the problems, but I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to move to Zim right now. The situation is precarious at best, and could deteriorate very quickly. OTOH, the OP has been given plenty of advice, and if she decides to ignore it and go ahead, well, hamba kahle. I've made enough mistakes in my own life to stop criticising other people's choices.

FWIW, I don't have a big house, pool or a maid, I'm not fond of alcohol and I don't go to bars - let alone expat ones!
Old May 12th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MartynK
This is quite pointless. I live in SA and don't really want to leave, despite all the problems, but I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to move to Zim right now. The situation is precarious at best, and could deteriorate very quickly. OTOH, the OP has been given plenty of advice, and if she decides to ignore it and go ahead, well, hamba kahle. I've made enough mistakes in my own life to stop criticising other people's choices.

FWIW, I don't have a big house, pool or a maid, I'm not fond of alcohol and I don't go to bars - let alone expat ones!
OK , so you are in the minority, But Truth, most do hey,
Good luck and keep safe.
Old May 12th 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Arikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really nice

well hey i can quickly put all discussions to an end, i found the bastard cheating on me this weekend, so that kind of makes the decision easy for me! thanks for your help anyway.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Coffee..Snort...Nose...Keyboard!
I've heard of show stoppers on Forums but thats a first!!
Old May 12th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

TigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really niceTigerOC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Arikara
well hey i can quickly put all discussions to an end, i found the bastard cheating on me this weekend, so that kind of makes the decision easy for me! thanks for your help anyway.
Another part of African culture you have just discovered; the need to prove their virility. This has also led to them being the World leaders in HIV/AIDS infections.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.