Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Letter from Zimbabwe - PLEASE READ THIS

Letter from Zimbabwe - PLEASE READ THIS

Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:40 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Letter from Zimbabwe - PLEASE READ THIS

Letter from Zimbabwe by John Winter

I reckon that these are the last days of TKM and ZPF. The darkest hour is always before dawn.

We are all terrified at what they are going to destroy next........I mean they are actually ploughing down brick and mortar houses and one white family with twin boys of 10 had no chance of salvaging anything when 100 riot police came in with AK47's and bulldozers and demolished their beautiful house - 5 bedrooms and pine ceilings - because it was "too close to the airport", so we are feeling extremely insecure right now. You know - I am aware that this does not help you sleep at night, but if you do not know - how can you help?

Even if you put us in your own mental ring of light and send your guardian angels to be with us - that is a help - but I feel so cut off from you all knowing I cannot tell you what's going on here simply because you will feel uncomfortable. There is no ways we can leave so that is not an option. I just ask that you all pray for us in the way that you know how, and let me know that you are thinking of us and sending out positive vibes... that's all. You can't just be in denial and pretend it's not going on. To be frank with you, its genocide in the making and if you do not believe me, read the Genocide Report by Amnesty International which says we are IN level seven (level 8 is after it's happened and everyone is in denial). If you don't want me to tell you these things then it means you have not dealt with your own fear, but it does not help me to think you are turning your back on our situation.

We need you to get the news OUT that we are all in a fearfully dangerous situation here. Too many people turn their backs and say - oh well, that's what happens in Africa. This government has GONE MAD and you need to publicize our plight or how can we be rescued? You can't just say "oh you attract your own reality". The petrol queues are a reality, the pall of smoke all around our city is a reality, the thousands of homeless people sleeping outside in 0 Celsius with no food water, shelter and bedding are a reality. Today a family approached me, brother of the gardener's wife with two small children. Their home was trashed and they will have to sleep outside. We already support 8 people and a child on this property and electricity is going up next month by 250% as is water. How can I take another family of 4 and yet how can I turn them away to sleep out in the open?

I am not asking you for money or a ticket out of here - I am asking you to FACE the fact that we are in deep and terrible danger and I want you to pass on our news and pictures and don't just press the delete button for God's sake. Help in the way that you know how. Face the reality of what is going on here and SEND OUT THE WORD. The more people that know about it, the more chance we have of United Nations coming to our aid.

Please stop ignoring and denying what's happening. Would you like to be protected from the truth and then if we are eliminated how would you feel? Surely you would say "if only we knew how bad it really was we could have helped in some way". I know we chose to stay here and so we deserve what's coming to us. For now, we ourselves have food, shelter, a little fuel and a bit of money for the next meal - but what is going to happen next? Will they start on our houses? All property is going to belong to the State now. I want to send out my Title Deeds to one of you because if they get a hold of those I can't fight for my rights. We no longer have SW radio which told us everything that was happening because the government jammed it out of existence - we don't have any reporters, and no one is allowed to photograph. If we had reporters here they would have an absolute field day. Even the pro government Herald has written that people are shocked, stunned, bewildered and blown mindless by the wanton destruction of everyone's homes which are supposed to be 'illegal' but which a huge percentage of them actually do have licenses for. Please - have some compassion and HELP by sending out the articles and personal reports so that something can be done.

"I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do." - Edward Everett Hale
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letter from Zimbabwe - PLEASE READ THIS

Just did a google search and found this letter was originally written in June or July 2005 and has been doing the rounds since - hence the reference to freezing nights which would not be true at this time of year. It probably refers to the Murambatsvina - not to say that couldn't/can't happen again at any time, but it is not a current operation.

Last edited by newshoney; Mar 16th 2008 at 10:24 am. Reason: correction
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:46 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newshoney
Just did a google search and found this letter was originally written in June or July 2005 and has been doing the rounds since - hence the reference to freezing nights which would not be true at this time of year. It probably refers to the Murambatsvina - not to say that couldn't/can't happen again at any time, but it is not a current operation.

Oh well

I guess the situation is worse then if this was written in 2005

Scary
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Campbells
Oh well

I guess the situation is worse then if this was written in 2005

Scary
Ah, a year later and still making yourself out to be all knowing on everything South Africa and Zimbabwe hey?

The letter was widely derided when it first appeared nearly 4 years ago as it contained a fair few exaggerations. Some of the versions contained sentences about people having to sleep outside in the freezing cold - in January. Which made a lot of people think it was written by a Brit with no knowledge of the climates.

Anyway, yes things are not great in Zim. Inflation is crippling, the cash shortage between December and February was terrible. Especially for the lower wage earners. There was a situation where on the Black Market you were getting $2M Zim to $1US with cash, yet were getting up to $6 on bank transfer. This led to shop prices selling goods (including food) at transfer rates so for those without bank accounts it was a very hard 2 and a half months. Thankfully we now have the new notes in multiple millions which has meant the rates are the same and food is not affordable again.

Obviously the situation had to change up to the election. On think that is very important to notice at the moment, that many people were commenting on before I flew back to London, is that the Police and the Army are not out in force intimidating people. The last 4 elections they have been on the streets 6 weeks before taking down opposition posters, hassling people and breaking up meetings. That is not happening. To the point where there are quite a few people wearing Opposition t-shirts around Harare, Simba Makoni's posters as well as the MDC's have been left largely alone.
There is real hope in Harare for change at the moment and many people are going back for the election to vote.
Instead of your usual doom and gloom for everything African, realise there are many who actually are happy to be there.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:43 am
Banned

[QUOTE=Rick b;6071878]Ah, a year later and still making yourself out to be all knowing on everything South Africa and Zimbabwe hey?

The letter was widely derided when it first appeared nearly 4 years ago as it contained a fair few exaggerations. Some of the versions contained sentences about people having to sleep outside in the freezing cold - in January. Which made a lot of people think it was written by a Brit with no knowledge of the climates.

Anyway, yes things are not great in Zim. Inflation is crippling, the cash shortage between December and February was terrible. Especially for the lower wage earners. There was a situation where on the Black Market you were getting $2M Zim to $1US with cash, yet were getting up to $6 on bank transfer. This led to shop prices selling goods (including food) at transfer rates so for those without bank accounts it was a very hard 2 and a half months. Thankfully we now have the new notes in multiple millions which has meant the rates are the same and food is not affordable again.

Obviously the situation had to change up to the election. On think that is very important to notice at the moment, that many people were commenting on before I flew back to London, is that the Police and the Army are not out in force intimidating people. The last 4 elections they have been on the streets 6 weeks before taking down opposition posters, hassling people and breaking up meetings. That is not happening. To the point where there are quite a few people wearing Opposition t-shirts around Harare, Simba Makoni's posters as well as the MDC's have been left largely alone.
There is real hope in Harare for change at the moment and many people are going back for the election to vote.
Instead of your usual doom and gloom for everything African, realise there are many who actually are happy to be there.[/QUOTE]

I am sure there are

Mad Bob for 1
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

I am sure there are

Mad Bob for 1
Actually I think you'll probably find he isn't very happy right now as he has a real chance of losing his power base in the next fortnight. Which would make his future very insecure. But then I guess this is reality - so you wouldn't take it too seriously................
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

So Rick B,everything is ok,then? You're having a free and Fair election.
Anyone concerned about business being taken over is basing it on a 2005 report?
Just want to make sure.
Foreigners who dont flash money around and Journo's who dont overtly take Photo's of anything bad are ok?
all a storm in a teacup then ,promoted by whingeing expats who dont really know whats going on.
Is that what you are saying?
Time for us all to come and visit?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daxk
So Rick B,everything is ok,then? You're having a free and Fair election.
Anyone concerned about business being taken over is basing it on a 2005 report?
Just want to make sure.
Foreigners who dont flash money around and Journo's who dont overtly take Photo's of anything bad are ok?
all a storm in a teacup then ,promoted by whingeing expats who dont really know whats going on.
Is that what you are saying?
Time for us all to come and visit?
Sigh.

I have no want of "The Campbell Brigade" to come and attack me. If you want to have a discussion on Zimbabwe, ask some proper questions - don't give set out a list of statements and re hash my words. I have been reading this forum for a few years and I know full well what happens here.

As for your "questions".

1. Everything is not ok. I have never said that. However anyone who comes to Zimbabwe as a tourist on a operator based tour will not be affected in any way by any of the problems in the country. Those who come independently will find it a little harder, but with enough advice and information will also experience no problems - I would personally advise for ease though to come with an operator of which there are many offering holidays in the country. There is no violent crime problem in Zimbabwe and the most tourist crime problems is petty theft or pickpocketing.

2. The elections in Zimbabwe over the past 10-16 years have been rigged and obviously many in the opposition have been attacked and intimidated. HOWEVER - this year there are neither Poice nor Army on the streets, there is no intimidation and opposition figures are being allowed to meet, talk and hold rallies without any fear. This is a huge change and shock and comes from many in the ruling party behind the scenes giving their backing to Simba Makoni. Will the election be free and fair? We will find out on March 30th or 31st. What I can say for sure is that many in Zimbabwe know that this is completely different to previous elections.

3. Economic problem - hasn't been ratified by Parliament and is very likely not to be.

4. Foreigners coming as tourists will be fine in Zimbabwe.There are thousands who come every month and most leave having had a fantastic time. Unfortunately the last group I took on safari in January before I came over to London were annoyed as in Hwange where we stayed for 3 days it rained quite a bit and we only saw elephant, giraffe, hippo, hyena, kudu and lion. They wanted to see leopard. We drove from Harare to Vic Falls via Bulawayo and had no problems with fuel, food or anything else - apart from the rain.

5. I am saying it would be best to perhaps not comment on a country that you obviously have no recent experience of being in.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Very well, Rick B, I wont comment on somewhere I have'nt been for a while.

I was asking questions based on skewed reporting obviously.
My understanding was that there was no or very little:
Fuel
Food
Electricity
Freedom.
I understand totally that the local population, especially out of town would take their shirt of their back for you,Have personally experienced in some of the most war damaged countries in Africa,
My question based on your posts is does the amount of Tourists to Zimbabwe directly affect your income and ability to buy food and fuel?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:12 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rick b
Actually I think you'll probably find he isn't very happy right now as he has a real chance of losing his power base in the next fortnight.
Highly doubt it. A little bit of bribery here, vote fixing there and it should be business as usual. I do hear the Chinese are a tad pissed off with him nationalising the mines though. He may be "encouraged" to retract that from some of his interests to maintain his good health.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daxk
Very well, Rick B, I wont comment on somewhere I have'nt been for a while.

I was asking questions based on skewed reporting obviously.
My understanding was that there was no or very little:
Fuel
Food
Electricity
Freedom.
I understand totally that the local population, especially out of town would take their shirt of their back for you,Have personally experienced in some of the most war damaged countries in Africa,
My question based on your posts is does the amount of Tourists to Zimbabwe directly affect your income and ability to buy food and fuel?

Fuel - This is how the media manages to completely manipulate the situation. There are two ways of buying fuel - at the official price in a fuel station, or by buying coupons for what is known as Direct Import Fuel. The official price of fuel is approximately a third of a US cent. Therefore obviously there is nothing available at that price. The Government have not bothered to move it up or do anything about it as they realise that with the rampant inflation it would be wasting their time. At present (and this has been the situation now for about 2 and a half years.....) fuel is purchased by going and buying coupons from about 12 different distributors in Harare (you can buy in US$/UK£ or local equivalent on Black Market) and then taking those coupons to the fuel station to buy fuel. Some of the companies deliver the coupons, some sms you a password to show the garage etc etc. What is certain is that the price of fuel is between $0.96 to $1.08 which is far cheaper than say the UK and is readily available.

Food - Food is available to those who have money and are able to buy it. There is no shortage of food that you would expect to find in a supermarket. HOWEVER - the problem is that the majority of the people cannot get grain or wheat for Sudza (I presume you know what that is?) There is poverty as in every African country and the Government does manipulate it's grain storage for elections - which is terrible. However I started this more as a "Zimbabwe is still very safe and is still very open to tourism" not "Zimbabwe is perfect in every way for all it's people". As a tourist or as a foreigner visiting you would have no problem getting food either local, western or Asian (very large Indian population in Harare).

Electricity - This is correct, there have been severe power shortages in some area's and this is due to the Government squandering their foreign reserves on things other than paying their electricity bills to surrounding countries. The area of Newlands has for some reason been one of the worst hit with it going for days without power. For whatever reason where my business is (Belvedere North) and where my home is (Glen Lorne) we have been pretty much unaffected with perhaps a couple of hours without power every few weeks or so. Mainly during the afternoon so it really hasn't affected us. Most business's now have Generators and this is one of the biggest profit makers in Harare at the moment.

Freedom - Don't know what you mean? This is such a pointless word as it can be interpreted in so many ways. I have said that this year in the run up to the elections for example the Police and Army have not been seen, have not intimidated people and therefore people have been free express their opinion for any of the candidates.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

I would add that there was no fuel in the petrol stations in VF in the week I was there... that may have changed in the interim. The taxi drivers were clubbing together to bring fuel in jerrycans from Botswana. One aidworker from Bulawayo told me he'd crossed into Zambia to fill up the tank and jerrycans. The tour operator Wild Horizons (which I can personally recommend) seemed to have no fuel problems - there again, they operate both sides of the border.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rick b
Fuel - This is how the media manages to completely manipulate the situation. There are two ways of buying fuel - at the official price in a fuel station, or by buying coupons for what is known as Direct Import Fuel. The official price of fuel is approximately a third of a US cent. Therefore obviously there is nothing available at that price. The Government have not bothered to move it up or do anything about it as they realise that with the rampant inflation it would be wasting their time. At present (and this has been the situation now for about 2 and a half years.....) fuel is purchased by going and buying coupons from about 12 different distributors in Harare (you can buy in US$/UK£ or local equivalent on Black Market) and then taking those coupons to the fuel station to buy fuel. Some of the companies deliver the coupons, some sms you a password to show the garage etc etc. What is certain is that the price of fuel is between $0.96 to $1.08 which is far cheaper than say the UK and is readily available.

Food - Food is available to those who have money and are able to buy it. There is no shortage of food that you would expect to find in a supermarket. HOWEVER - the problem is that the majority of the people cannot get grain or wheat for Sudza (I presume you know what that is?) There is poverty as in every African country and the Government does manipulate it's grain storage for elections - which is terrible. However I started this more as a "Zimbabwe is still very safe and is still very open to tourism" not "Zimbabwe is perfect in every way for all it's people". As a tourist or as a foreigner visiting you would have no problem getting food either local, western or Asian (very large Indian population in Harare).

Electricity - This is correct, there have been severe power shortages in some area's and this is due to the Government squandering their foreign reserves on things other than paying their electricity bills to surrounding countries. The area of Newlands has for some reason been one of the worst hit with it going for days without power. For whatever reason where my business is (Belvedere North) and where my home is (Glen Lorne) we have been pretty much unaffected with perhaps a couple of hours without power every few weeks or so. Mainly during the afternoon so it really hasn't affected us. Most business's now have Generators and this is one of the biggest profit makers in Harare at the moment.

Freedom - Don't know what you mean? This is such a pointless word as it can be interpreted in so many ways. I have said that this year in the run up to the elections for example the Police and Army have not been seen, have not intimidated people and therefore people have been free express their opinion for any of the candidates.
Or who can carry enough

This is how much you carry for a loaf of bread
Attached Thumbnails Letter from Zimbabwe - PLEASE READ THIS-zim.bmp  
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newshoney
I would add that there was no fuel in the petrol stations in VF in the week I was there... that may have changed in the interim. The taxi drivers were clubbing together to bring fuel in jerrycans from Botswana. One aidworker from Bulawayo told me he'd crossed into Zambia to fill up the tank and jerrycans. The tour operator Wild Horizons (which I can personally recommend) seemed to have no fuel problems - there again, they operate both sides of the border.
That is a problem in Vic Falls, I stayed at Ilala Lodge over New Year and went to the New Years Eve party in Shoestrings (the main backpackers there). One of the managers of Shoestrings explained to me the crazy situation re fuel in Vic Falls. Because of the town being so close to the border of both Zambia and Botswana when there were historical fuel queues which we have all seen pictures of, the taxi drivers went to Botswana (cheaper fuel than Zambia) and bought it back. Same as the tourist companies. Since the advent of Direct Fuel Importers, the tourism companies buy off of them in the way I described - fuel coupons and then going to one specific place to fill up (or the fuel gets delivered in drums which happens more so as the tourism companies buy in bulk). The Direct Fuel Importers know that their main business is the tourism companies and therefore the people that lose out are the locals and taxi drivers whom they will sell to, but not in Zim$ only in forex. This has caused a problem and it's a damm shame for the locals more than anyone.

If you are a tourist or with a tour company you can go to any hotel and they will arrange the fuel for you.

Or who can carry enough

This is how much you carry for a loaf of bread

Ah, I see you are back to making up rubbish as you don't have it in you to have an intelligent discussion.

That photo was taken of a boy begging in the street just before New Year. It had been announced that the $200,000 note was to be taken off the street so people had to use it and spend it or bank it by the 30th January. Many (including me) had hoarded notes as there was a cash shortage so when it was announced the note was spent, given and used everywhere. I paid $215,000,000 in Ilala lodge in $200,000 notes as we thought they were about to become worthless. They went back on it a day later but too late for many and pictures like this were pretty common everywhere.

A loaf of bread is about $20,000,000. Which is two notes.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:23 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

So, the general population is able to go into the local supermarket and buy the necessities, any time they want I gather?

And you can pull up and buy fuel anywhere, at anytime? Right?

What utter bollocks. The wealthier ones perhaps can get food any time they want, but the MAJORITY of the population don't have such luxury.

Makes me see red to see someone post such crap about a country which has fallen apart - once the breadbasket of Africa, now turned into nothing but another begging bowl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.