British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   Lagos nigeria job offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/lagos-nigeria-job-offer-801202/)

adriand Jun 25th 2013 6:48 pm

Lagos nigeria job offer

Hi all -

New here and need your perspective. Was approached out of the blue a few weeks back by a company called Engdrill apparently based in the Netherlands - saying they had found my 'profile' on line and to send them a CV which I did. Yesterday - received a job offer seemingly based on my CV although there was no reference to it how they - Exxon Mobil had come across it.

The offer letter has ExxonMobil stamped on the top left and Mobil Producing Nigeria on the top right together with this address:

Mobil House, 1 Lekki Expressway, Victoria Island, Lagos Nigeria
Tel:+2347062064116 Fax:+23484815336.

The signature is James Amadi, Head Human Resources Department. and accompanied with a 'Mobil Producing Nigeria' stamp. And on the bottom right is a gold seal.

This offer letter was sent as an attachment to an email sent by seemingly the same james amadi with the suffix @exxonmobilnig.com - which advised that following acceptance within 7 days I should then contact a lawyer in Nigeria to arrange immigration details - the lawyer info is Paul Ebi of EBI chambers, 30 Evo Road, PO box: 237 Port Harcourt. I could find no such person or address in a web search and the only James Amadi's that show up seemingly have no connection with Mobil Producing. The offer letter indicates that I shall be reimbursed for expenses incurred by visa processing before travel - which suggests I shall be paying for something - but that something could be no more than travel costs to the Nigerian embassy in London.

The US parent Exxon Mobil think its fraudulent - I would have hoped for a more categoric answer such as "we have never had so and so working in our Nigeria operation" etc. They also indicated one of the angles is identity theft.

Don't want to kick this offer into touch without being sure its fraudulent - although it looks increasingly that way.

So finally after this slightly tedious background I would like to ask if any of the members on this forum know anything about the human resources aspect of Mobil Producing and if the names and procedures seem reasonable.

Will go to the police at some point if the evidence mounts towards a fraud.

Any input will be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Adrian.

adriand Jun 25th 2013 8:01 pm

Re: Lagos nigeria job offer

Originally Posted by adriand (Post 10773266)
Hi all -

New here and need your perspective. Was approached out of the blue a few weeks back by a company called Engdrill apparently based in the Netherlands - saying they had found my 'profile' on line and to send them a CV which I did. Yesterday - received a job offer seemingly based on my CV although there was no reference to it how they - Exxon Mobil had come across it.

The offer letter has ExxonMobil stamped on the top left and Mobil Producing Nigeria on the top right together with this address:

The signature is James Amadi, Head Human Resources Department. and accompanied with a 'Mobil Producing Nigeria' stamp. And on the bottom right is a gold seal.

This offer letter was sent as an attachment to an email sent by seemingly the same james amadi with the suffix @exxonmobilnig.com - which advised that following acceptance within 7 days I should then contact a lawyer in Nigeria to arrange immigration details - the lawyer info is Paul Ebi of EBI chambers, 30 Evo Road, PO box: 237 Port Harcourt. I could find no such person or address in a web search and the only James Amadi's that show up seemingly have no connection with Mobil Producing. The offer letter indicates that I shall be reimbursed for expenses incurred by visa processing before travel - which suggests I shall be paying for something - but that something could be no more than travel costs to the Nigerian embassy in London.

The US parent Exxon Mobil think its fraudulent - I would have hoped for a more categoric answer such as "we have never had so and so working in our Nigeria operation" etc. They also indicated one of the angles is identity theft.

Don't want to kick this offer into touch without being sure its fraudulent - although it looks increasingly that way.

So finally after this slightly tedious background I would like to ask if any of the members on this forum know anything about the human resources aspect of Mobil Producing and if the names and procedures seem reasonable.

Many thanks,

Adrian.

Would like to add that I was initially contacted by someone using the name Mark Peters from a company called Engdrill in Belgium. On one of the scam sites I've managed to find he is mentioned - as sending an identical letter to the one I received - to candidates for statoil - which it seems turned out badly. So it looks like it's definitely a scam.

Thanks to all,

Adrian.

Tockalosh Jun 25th 2013 9:43 pm

Glad you eventually saw the light before parting with cash but they do now. Have all your personal data so beware you may now be applying for credit cards etc
Were you not a little suspicious that you were offered a job without an interview ?

adriand Jun 26th 2013 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 10773429)
Glad you eventually saw the light before parting with cash but they do now. Have all your personal data so beware you may now be applying for credit cards etc
Were you not a little suspicious that you were offered a job without an interview ?

Thanks for that. I hope not all my personal data - they have my CV of course - but critical info isn't on there. Yes - was a little suspicious - but sometimes job slots have to be filled quickly - but you're right would have expected a telephone interview at least.

Thanks again for your reply.

Adrian.

don julien Aug 25th 2013 8:24 am

I received the same job offer, seemed a rat pretty quickly.

[email protected] Feb 23rd 2014 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by adriand (Post 10773266)
Hi all -

Many thanks,

Adrian.

Mobil
Mobil House, 1 Lekki Expressway Victoria Island.
Lagos. Nigeria
Tel NO: +2347062064116
21st February 2014
ATTENTION: GARY HILDEBRAND.
EMPLOYMENT LETTER
To confirm the recent screening process, which was conducted by the Screening Department of Mobil Producing Nigeria, we are pleased to offer you an initial position as the:
POSITION: TOOLPUSHER.
JOB LOCATION: LAGOS, NIGERIA
STARTING DATE: 30TH MARCH 2014. On this date, you are to report at 8:00 a.m. to the Human Resources Department, where you will be provided with packet containing information on Mobil Producing Nigeria. Benefits, facilities, and services as well to attend an orientation program before job commencement. Should you accept this job offer, per company policy you'll be eligible to receive the following beginning on your hire date.
SALARY: Monthly starting net salary of 16,000 (USD) exclusive of any taxation. You will be paid both during your time on-site and your time off-site. All payment of Salary after assumption of duty in Nigeria shall be 90% paid into an offshore account to be provided by employee with the remaining 10% paid locally in Nigeria. This is in line with the Nigeria Expatriate Financial Statutory Laws.
JOB DESCRIPTION:
1. Ensure the Driller is conversant with the program objectives and communicate any changes 2. Oversee the maintenance, repair and installation of all drilling equipment including, lubrication, maintenance records and inventory levels 3. Supervise equipment preparation for future drilling operations 4. Ensure sufficient stock of parts and materials is maintained for drilling operations 5. Report drilling operations to the DSL as required 6. Verify for compliance records of inspections and certification of drilling equipment, tools and tubulars 7. Participate in the daily operations meeting to plan and direct the job activities of the drilling department 8. Responsible for ensuring that the drilling department are conversant with relevant rig specific procedures, that they are understood, utilized and updated accordingly 9. Ensure that current well control pre-recorded data is available, documented and posted as per EMN policy and procedure 10. Performing well control calculations 11. Responsible
MOBIL PRODUCING NIGERIA
Fax NO: +23484815336
Pag1 this is the letter I revived on the 21st of fen this year. Is anything being done about this scam

MartynK Feb 24th 2014 10:45 am

Scam. It could be identity theft, but the job offer is full of red flags and I'd be more concerned that you're expected to travel to Lagos for the next step. This smacks of the 419 modus operandi, where victims are lured to Nigeria and forced to divulge bank account details/transfer funds etc, or kidnapped for ransom.

US corporates tend to be very cautious about what they say, because of their potential legal liability exposure. I've had a fair amount to do with them in a security risk management context.

[email protected] Feb 24th 2014 3:16 pm

Should I contact Interpol or the us embassy to alert them of this ?

mikelincs Feb 24th 2014 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 11145657)

Texas.. please contact Sue, admin to change your username, e mail addresses are not allowed, as per site rule #11, this saves spam bots getting your details and inundating you with e mails.

MartynK Feb 25th 2014 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 11145657)

Interpol is an international police liaison and mutual assistance organisation. They don't deal directly with the public, and work through local police forces in member countries.

I'm pretty sure the US Consulate will be aware of this, but I'd get in touch with the State Department through their website at http://www.state.gov/travel/ if you want to take it a step further. They issue and update travel advisories for US citizens.

Just so you know, the 419 (this refers to the Nigerian Criminal Code) scams have been around for a while. It's a major "industry" run by well organised and dangerous people.

Harcop1 May 24th 2014 11:26 pm

Hi, I am very new to this web site but after finding it I see that you guys have saved me from acting on something that could have been very costly. I was also contacted this week by a Mr Samson Clive

Corri Consultants Ltd
Z.I. GHLIN Baudoor, rue des Roseaux
ZI7331
Baudour
Belgium
Email: Info@corriconsultants
Tel: +32 (0) 70409920
client code:/Vic.192/SNL/Vol.2014

This person stated that my profile matched what ExxonMobil were currently seeking and could I send my CV, reference and personal terms etc. A few das later I was sent an e-mail from a Mr James Amadi stating that with the approval of the Exxon Mobil management I was now receiving a job offer as a supply chain coordinator in Nigeria. I was to contact by, e-mail or phone, their Barrister in Nigeria ([email protected])
Tel: +2348186023473 to process a visa and further expat procedures for working in the country. I contacted this telephone number and was answered by a gentleman stating he was Paul Tokoni. He then sent me a long list of information in which was my need to present a medical insurance certificate from the Niger Insurance Company. Although after trawling the net this company representation does exist in the UK, but i was beginning to be very sceptical regarding this offer as I could not understand why I needed this medical insurance when in the adjoining e-mail medical cover was provided by the company.
It was then that I started to dig for names and places and fell upon this forum, in which was another person stating the exact letter of job offer from the same James Amadi. I have now sent an email to ExxonMobil UK to advise them of this situation and to seek clarity on this issue.

When you are seeking employment I think it is easy to get sucked into the belief that good things do happen, but equally some things can be to good to be true. Thank you all for posting your experiences it may just have saved me from an unpleasant experience, not to mention leaving my current job.