Reload this Page >

Kenya - jobs/networking with Anglo-Kenyans

Kenya - jobs/networking with Anglo-Kenyans

Old Jun 2nd 2017, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Nicholas99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kenya - jobs/networking with Anglo-Kenyans

Hi,

New here. A couple of questions. I'd like to move to Kenya in the near future (perhaps in a year or two).

Any advice on how to network with other Anglo-Kenyans/British expats in Kenya?

What's the best way to get a job in Kenya?

Best regards,

Nicholas
Old Jun 7th 2017, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kenya - jobs/networking with Anglo-Kenyans

Depends what you do and what job you are looking for. Since Independence Kenyan Governments have emphasized employment for citizens and discouraged employment of foreigners - particularly from the former colonial ruler.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Depends what you do and what job you are looking for. Since Independence Kenyan Governments have emphasized employment for citizens and discouraged employment of foreigners - particularly from the former colonial ruler.
Do you know about job opportunities for specific fields? I have an EFL background but am interested in property development, education, publishing, NGOs, the legal sector, or other professional fields.

I'm planning to become Kenyan at some point. Nevertheless, whatever official policies there are, I'm sure there must be certain advantages for British expats.

Nicholas
Old Jun 7th 2017, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from international schools I imagine most teaching jobs (including EFL) have been Kenyanized. If you are a trained teacher, a job at one of the international schools might be possible. Otherwise a VSO type teaching job.

Go an have a look around but I would not be too hopeful. You are two generations too late.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Go an have a look around but I would not be too hopeful. You are two generations too late.
That's very optimistic of you. lol.

But, as I said, I'm not really interested in a teaching job in Kenya. And I do plan to Kenyanize myself at some point, anyway. I'd say the doom and gloom perspective is not particularly helpful.

If there are any British expats in Kenya on here, I'd be interested in getting in touch.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I will put it to you this way: I have experience in the Horn of Africa and know Somalis with dual citizenship - Somali and Kenyan - who stay in Somalia because they told me the economic situation is better there.

Also of note, Ethiopians have been migrating to Somalia for work opportunities.

Sorry, that's "doom and gloom" which is "not helpful."

With Kenyanisation, do you have family in Kenya, or Kenyan ancestry? If not - you may find that you aren't considered "Kenyanised" just because you declare it, or because you acquire a Kenyan passport (check that they allow dual nationality or be prepared to renounce your British citizenship).

Your best bet is to probably go down there for a few months and see what network you can make on the ground. Don't burn your bridges in the UK.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
With Kenyanisation, do you have family in Kenya, or Kenyan ancestry? Your best bet is to probably go down there for a few months and see what network you can make on the ground. Don't burn your bridges in the UK.
Hi, I don't want to disclose too many details on a public forum. I'm rather hoping to get in touch with British expats in Kenya before moving there.

I maintain a positive mindset with regards to things. Thank you for the advice.

Best regards,
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You want to go and live in "Happy Valley" - you need a time machine., Set the dials for 1938. The Kenya that you dream of ended in the period after WW2 with Mau Mau and Independence.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicholas99
Do you know about job opportunities for specific fields? I have an EFL background but am interested in property development, education, publishing, NGOs, the legal sector, or other professional fields.

I'm planning to become Kenyan at some point. Nevertheless, whatever official policies there are, I'm sure there must be certain advantages for British expats.

Nicholas
Why should there be advantages for Brit. expats?
I would be interested to hear your reason. I have experienced the opposite in Africa.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:57 am
Just Joined

In reply to Scot47, I'm actually looking for helpful comments. Facetious comments not welcome.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am trying to tell you that there is very little in Kenya for those without Kenyan heritage. Is that facetious ? The world has changed from the days when "The Sun never Set on the British Empire".

The truth can be painful. I write as one who worked in post-colonial Africa and witnessed developments there. No place for the "Mzungu" in Independent Africa.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 1:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicholas99
In reply to Scot47, I'm actually looking for helpful comments. Facetious comments not welcome.
If you think he was being facetious you need a reality check!

Personally I think that there was a decent living to be had in Kenya as recently as the late 70's or early 80's. I knew someone who was in the RAF who was seconded out there around that time, but it has gone downhill since, at least from the view of being an expat. So while Scot and I might disagree on the timescale, we both agree that you missed your chance by a number of decades.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 6th 2017 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pulaski and I disagree on many matters but on this we are as one voice !
Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

The truth can be painful. I write as one who worked in post-colonial Africa and witnessed developments there. No place for the "Mzungu" in Independent Africa.
Not only is it facetious, it is also irrelevant. This is not a thread about the British Empire. Nor am I interested in your pessimism. I asked for specific advice about job opportunities and networking with British expats in Kenya or Anglo-Kenyans. Your comments are unhelpful.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So while Scot and I might disagree on the timescale, we both agree that you missed your chance by a number of decades.
I think you need to look up a definition of the word facetious. As I am someone who is actually going to move to Kenya and plans to become a Kenyan citizen, how are such comments as these seriously helpful? Do they actually answer the question I posted? Is the goal to be helpful or just to express negativity? Think about it.

Best regards.

Last edited by Nicholas99; Jul 6th 2017 at 3:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.