Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Journalism in South Africa?

Journalism in South Africa?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:51 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice
Default Re: Journalism in South Africa?

Originally Posted by sa2oz
We all have friends and family there but the thing is they choose to remain there, so nothing can be done. I am not sure how sharing your beliefs here can change them being there, or the conditions they choose to live in.

Many say they cannot leave, thereby absolving themselves of any responsibility for their situation, when the truth is that they like it there. I have 2 brothers there who were in this situation. One has suddenly changed his mind. The one who was hi-jacked twice, shot once, still insists he must stay there.

ScottishRose, try looking at http://www.ioljobs.co.za/ and investigate whether there are opportunities before worrying about a visa.
BEE will be an issue but maybe homecomingrevolution.co.za ca assist.
There are many large newspaper groups, and even more local papers. Does she have a chosen area to live in

Good luck

I have two good friends who have tried to get out but have been rejected by Canada and Oz, the chances of getting into the UK is slim so they have to shut up and put up...one has been shot twice and the other had his house set on fire as he barricaded himself in against a bunch of black robbers in Empangeni Kwa Zulu Natal....he survived the fire.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:56 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottishRose1971
Firstly, let me just say I am disgusted with the regular bunch of whingers on here...

I see that for those considering moving to South Africa they have to not only negotiate the visa process, but the clique on here, who are intent on slagging South Africa to the ground...

Why is it that when they wanted advice they were given it? For example, Campbell, I see that you were only too grateful to hear peoples opinions without all the negative personal attacks when you asked how NZ was?

Oh, and btw, you seem like a right whinger! You move to NZ and then slag that country as well.

You must be one of those people who are never happy wherever they are?

Anyway, the reason I came onto this board was to ask the non biggoted a very simple question.

I find it incredible that instead of celebrating the end of apartheid the regulars on here bemoan the fact.

Anyway, on with MY question :

My sister has just completed her diploma in Journalism in New Zealand and wants to use her new qualification in SOuth Africa.

Is it possible to get a visa for journalism in South Africa?

Thanks...

Can somebody tell me if she
Welcome to B.E. ScottishRose1971.
A bit of an abrasive introduction don’t you think? I think you will be able to find a lot of help here. Posters on here for the most part have a great deal of knowledge and experience about living in SA. I would suggest you tone down your language if you expect anyone to take you seriously. All the links that have been given to you are a good start. Why, if I may ask has your sister decided on SA to peruse her journalism career? Or is it just one of many places in Africa she would like to live/work?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by guest5234
I have two good friends who have tried to get out but have been rejected by Canada and Oz, the chances of getting into the UK is slim so they have to shut up and put up...one has been shot twice and the other had his house set on fire as he barricaded himself in against a bunch of black robbers in Empangeni Kwa Zulu Natal....he survived the fire.
I also thought it was impossible for some people, but have seen what determination can do.
If they have any skill at all and experience and can prepare a good cv, there is no reason why they could not go to New Zealand. I know of people who went there (no visa required to go on a holiday), looked around for a job, went for interviews and were offered jobs and work permits.
Then 2 brothers of this guy I know went over to visit him for a month or so. Both were offered jobs while therr, one decided Botswana was better, the other is now in NZ.
I know people that came to Australia after looking for work from South Africa on the internet. They managed to get a visa (no formal skills in terms of a degree diploma etc, but a will to work).
Obviously skills make it easier, but the will to move has to be high enough to make you look.
One of these guys sold his home and went to live in a rental in South Africa so that he had the money to go on a job search.
I also know someone who was given a Greencard to the USA in a lottery, but came to Australia
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

ScottishRose1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Welcome to B.E. ScottishRose1971.
A bit of an abrasive introduction don’t you think? I think you will be able to find a lot of help here. Posters on here for the most part have a great deal of knowledge and experience about living in SA. I would suggest you tone down your language if you expect anyone to take you seriously. All the links that have been given to you are a good start. Why, if I may ask has your sister decided on SA to peruse her journalism career? Or is it just one of many places in Africa she would like to live/work?
Apologies for the abrasive intro. No harm intended.

Why SA? Simply, for a journalist, it is one of the more interesting parts of the world, right now. You can't ask for more than that.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

for a journalist, it is one of the more interesting parts of the world, right now.
Usually, what's most interesting for journalists is whatever is most disastrous for ordinary people who want to leave peacefully with their families. Hence the old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times".

And thus the generally angst-ridden nature of this board.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by whalewatcher
Usually, what's most interesting for journalists is whatever is most disastrous for ordinary people who want to leave peacefully with their families. Hence the old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times".

And thus the generally angst-ridden nature of this board.
Yep, well each to her/his own. The thing about journalism in NZ you have to understand is that,not only can a pet story make the headlines, it is likely to make them, even though, you know, there is a bit of trouble in the outside world....Also, unless you like reading about the all-blacks, there is not exactly a thriving sport journalism scene.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:38 am
Account Closed

not only can a pet story make the headlines...
Not much change in store then: Pets fed as bait to fighting pit bulls

Sorry...just...couldn't...resist....
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by whalewatcher
Not much change in store then: Pets fed as bait to fighting pit bulls

Sorry...just...couldn't...resist....
Well, like you say : may you live in interesting times...Believe it or not, some people don't want to live in a crime free, surburbia...I know, may take a bit of getting your head around...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Well, like you say : may you live in interesting times...Believe it or not, some people don't want to live in a crime free, surburbia...I know, may take a bit of getting your head around...
I can certainly get my head around that. Having lived in the UK all my life I arrived in SA after travelling through places like Iran and Pakistan. Even then it felt like the most fearful place I'd been to, but exciting and easy to embrace when you're going through a gritty 'Holidays in Hell' phase of your life, and have a passport that can get you out at the drop of a hat. But ten years and having young children changes the perspective.

I've lived near Ocean View for a decade, and facetiously adding a link to that story about the pitbulls isn't going to make any difference to the people I've known who have lived there. They just dream of living in a crime free suburbia...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:15 am
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Would you change your mind if you had been raped or had a gun fired at you. its easy to say I like the buzz untill YOU ARE THE VICTIM and your life has been ruined.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by guest5234
Would you change your mind if you had been raped or had a gun fired at you. its easy to say I like the buzz untill YOU ARE THE VICTIM and your life has been ruined.
So well put mate.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:11 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

...I know, may take a bit of getting your head around...
I'm sure Winnie has a necklace just your size ....
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:33 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1066
I'm sure Winnie has a necklace just your size ....
Yes, that should offer a thrill a minute. I actually find Miss Scottish rose rather thorny. We'd love a report back after a few "exciting" moments. The suspense can surely kill...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:44 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, speaking of Scotland, just got back from a rather bleak looking Escotia. Flippin' cold and peein' as usual, with a bit of sleet, snow, and biting cold to ensure that every crevice of the body is suitably soggy and chilled. Took a trip up Aberdeen way to see some of my in-laws and they are most definitely sun deprived. Met up with some South African pals that are working the rigs out that way as a means of saving dosh before heading to Australia. I appreciate why. People just don't look too cheery around there right now. Another nippy sweetie should help tho.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:25 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Actually, speaking of Scotland, just got back from a rather bleak looking Escotia. Flippin' cold and peein' as usual, with a bit of sleet, snow, and biting cold to ensure that every crevice of the body is suitably soggy and chilled. Took a trip up Aberdeen way to see some of my in-laws and they are most definitely sun deprived. Met up with some South African pals that are working the rigs out that way as a means of saving dosh before heading to Australia. I appreciate why. People just don't look too cheery around there right now. Another nippy sweetie should help tho.
Welcome back P. One consolation about living over there is that you can ho onto a plane for a weekend in the sun every now and then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.